Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

'91 Toyota MR2 turbo

Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

One more thing to consider......I am not sure how much of a problem this has been with the second gen Sw20 models but the first generation "cheese wedge style" MR2 were prone to some rust in the cooling system. Since the mid engine car has piping for coolant running the length of the car you may want to determine if the owner has any records that the coolant has been changed at least a couple times.

I would not shy away from a low mile 91, but outside of the suspension revisions in the 93, it also added LSD in the tranny which is not bad to have. As far as the snap oversteer goes in 91-92's I only had it happen to me once, on purpose on a deserted road in the rain. I had to get going and swerve it hard back and forth. It was spooky, I was able to recover, but it was not easy and was fairly dramatic trying to get control back as the tail will continue to wag violently back and forth. But with that said, it is not going to happen on the road if you are not driving like a total idiot, so don't worry about it.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two 91's, both turbo. Extremely fun car to drive IMO. I had the ATS racing ct27 turbo, bored fuel rail, injectors, custom clutch, berk full exhaust, 3" intake, 1.3mil headgasket and a Ats rom chip computer that I could switch tunes from race gas to 93. Did I mention an aquamist meth injection kit? lol Estimated 350rwhp

I just had bad luck with them and had to get away. The bad luck was definitely my fault btw(stupid mistakes). When they are well maintained, they are reliable. With the amount you want to spend, I wouldn't buy an MR2. If and when I do buy another one, it'll be a 93 turbo with low milage <60k. Not looking to spend more than 10k for a pristine model when that time comes..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I had one. I miss that car.

It is the only car I have owned that I was truly in love with. Man I miss that car.

Total pain in the ass to work on, especially if you ever have to replace the "hose from hell" and you can read about that on the MR2 board. (edit) I see from rereading it needs this replaced. Worst two days of my life replacing that thing. This is completely true, in order to get the damn thing on I literally had to be upside down head and arms in the engine compartment and feet sticking straight up in the air to reach it. Was that way for a good 20 minutes and practically needed back surgery afterwards. It is not referred to as the hose from hell for nothing.

But man I miss that car.

At the time I decided to sell I had 130,000 on it and it had a few things I had to work on and after I had finished I was so worn out from working on cars I started to worry that something else might go wrong. So I got rid of it and missed it every day since.

I kind of like my S2000, but I LOVED that freaking MR2.

Buy it.

I would not go back to one since they don't have modern safety equipment, and I kept mine mint by replacing anything that even had a scratch on it like the ash tray, or shift knob, etc. But a couple of the interior parts went out of production which made me feel more like I had to sell it.

If they put it back in to production I would buy one tomorrow.

Did I mention I miss that car?

It is a non-interference engine so it won't genade if the timing belt breaks, but that is a total bitch to do as well. A lot of Toyota mechanics will tell you they find it easier to just drop the whole engine to do the timing belt rather that replace it in the car.

Outside of a couple of common oil leaks, and the hose, they are really bullet proof cars. Turbos are a wear part that needs to be replaced eventually but the engines are solid and the transmission is overbuilt. I would not worry about big things, more about little ones.
If Toyota brings it back, I would put my deposit in tomorrow. That's how much I liked/like that car. I say to OP: Do It!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by suzukawoods
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1354127336' post='22177247
If they put it back in to production I would buy one tomorrow.
If Toyota brings it back, I would put my deposit in tomorrow. That's how much I liked/like that car. I say to OP: Do It!

I keep reading that Toyota has 2 sports cars in the pipeline and announcements coming soon as to what they will be. (this is in addition to the Scion) It is pretty well accepted that one is a Supra, who knows the other. But if they brought back a SERIOUS MR2 and not something that is a Miata fighter like the Spyder, I might forget my Cayman plans.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

friend has one, they're an absolute joy to drive.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Is there a bike rack for the Merckx ?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Of course..3 of them!
Merckx MXL Columbus Max tubing Molteni(orange with panels) motif...62cm
Merckx MXL Columbus Max tubing Telekom(charcoal and fuscia)motif.. 62cm
Merckx MXL Columbus Max tubing Motorola(red,white,blue)motif......63cm

I love them all but the 63 fits best..but the Molteni bike when I ride it
it gets sooooooo much attention from kids! lol
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by merckx racer
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1354656445' post='22189834
Of course..3 of them!
Merckx MXL Columbus Max tubing Molteni(orange with panels) motif...62cm
Merckx MXL Columbus Max tubing Telekom(charcoal and fuscia)motif.. 62cm
Merckx MXL Columbus Max tubing Motorola(red,white,blue)motif......63cm

I love them all but the 63 fits best..but the Molteni bike when I ride it
it gets sooooooo much attention from kids! lol
Are you going to fit in the MR2? 62cm is one darn big frame. I use to have a Mercks Corsa with Dura Ace 7 and Campy wheels. Nice bike and very rugged. Who is making Merckx frames since he sold the factory? Pinarello? Been eyeing a Merckx for my summer house bike, there were few going on Ebay for good price. I need a 52 cm frame. Have a Pegoretti with Record 10 right now.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Are you going to fit in the MR2? 62cm is one darn big frame. I use to have a Mercks Corsa with Dura Ace 7 and Campy wheels. Nice bike and very rugged. Who is making Merckx frames since he sold the factory? Pinarello? Been eyeing a Merckx for my summer house bike, there were few going on Ebay for good price. I need a 52 cm frame. Have a Pegoretti with Record 10 right now.
Actually for my 37.5" inseam the 63 is actually a bit too small!
And with my legs cars are a tough fit..but I found my S2000 quite roomy!

Pegoretti?..nice! custom?
guys on the Serotta site have nothing but great things to say about Marcelo's
creations..what is it the BigLegEmma?
My Merckx 63 Motorola is actually #100 exactly of the last 100 Columbus Max framesets
Merckx made in lieu of runing out of lugs and pipes.

Just found a nice MR2 NA with bigger injectors..QBX headers..shaved head..increased
compression rate and some other goodies!
The guy claims 165HP and 175lbft
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM

I currently have a 93T and 2 91's prior. The mr2 is a fantastic car and not any more of a money pit then any other sports car that was not molested. I had the HFH rupture on my 91T and Toyota fixed it for $350. My 93T has 170km (106k miles) on it with original drive train, turbo, rad and everything else. My current car is pretty much stock at this point and I don't really have plans of modding it.

The 93T+ is a better car due to some changes over the 91-92, better tranny, suspension, bigger wheels, bigger breaks...etc

If Toyota decided to remake this car I would be the first in line to get one, I wont hold my breath though.

Quick Reply: '91 Toyota MR2 turbo