Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura Integra Type R

Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
Kinda like people who don't get the s, simply not driving it right
But I get the s, on my second one in fact, so please elaborate.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Ive driven one and my fair share of honda fwds stock and modded, if it werent for the fact that the dc2 has a loyal following of practical enthusiasts, the dc2r would get no love. Ita all the hype from within the honda community being its halo version that makes the car standout. And now its just nostalgia. To each their own but to say asinine comments like you gotta be a real driver or you're not driving it right is just dumb. Is the itr a fun to drive car or a competitive car? Fwd fun is limited and 200hp to the front is slow. Id rather have an frs.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Originally Posted by starchland' timestamp='1355074487' post='22199245
The R wet your whistle until the S came around.

why do people always bring up the hp thing, we all know there is not always the correlation between hp and fun
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the type-r is as much of a drivers car as the s2000 imo. i owned one for 8 years and finally had to sell it when i moved to this country. It is a great platform to modify and it feels superb. they are similar cars with the s2000 but different in certain ways, not in a bad way. i really miss my type-r and if i had that money laying around i would buy another one in a heart beat.

from your description of what kind of cars you like, i feel the exact same way as you about cars. the only thing i would do if i bought one though is put a full roll cage in it. the chassis is so soff compared to newer cars that i have seen one cut in half after a type-r meet. the car snapped during braking (ap1 style) and the car hit a post sideways. the car was cut in half right in front of the driver. the driver was in his seat in the back half of the car and was completely safe while the front end was smashed into the post. older cars are awsome but you have to be careful. my type-r was a 96 jdm model with no abs or airbag so dont let me scare you away as i didnt seem to mind back then.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Syn
I'm definitely on the side of "why does the Type R get so much love" and granted I haven't driven one, but it's still a low-power FWD car. I can appreciate good handling and driving experience just as much as the next guy--after all, it's why I have an S2000 right now--but my S2000 is already on the border of what I would consider too slow in a straight line. Going down a few more notches from that to what a Type R offers would not yield me a worthwhile experience. Add to that the lack of RWD/AWD and I'm not sold at all.

If you could get an ITR for the price it should be worth, and if you didn't have to worry about theft constantly, it would be a compelling argument. I just can't see buying one of those over an 06+ Civic Si coupe with the superior K20 powerplant for the same money. Or better yet, an older AP1...again for the same money.
ITR's are as fast as s2000s or pretty close. stock they dyno at about 170whp vs an ap1 at 200whp but the itr weighs in at about 1050-1100kg vs 1280kg of the s2000. that puts them at identical power to weight ratios
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1355089323' post='22199552
[quote name='starchland' timestamp='1355074487' post='22199245']
The R wet your whistle until the S came around.

why do people always bring up the hp thing, we all know there is not always the correlation between hp and fun
[/quote]

You havent elaborated yet.
The power thing comes up because power is fun.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thielepr
A type R is a very good light handling car. But for the price a 8th Civic Si will be a better choice. Not that exclusive but it will offer more power and handling without having to look over your shoulder every time you park it outside
You must be joking, a DC2 is capable of 8 seconds range at Tsukuba on a good day with whatever tires they had in the 90's. No USDM Civic even now comes close. That machine didn't win Best Motoring car of the years and Enduro Challenge wins for nothing. The NSX-R at least had other "near-race spec" competition in its class like the GT3. There is nothing in the DC2's class that offered "near-race spec" configuration from the factory.

If I were the OP I would not really be looking to add another car though.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a '98 ITR. The acceleration is nothing exciting but it is a FWD car that rotates very well. Turn in at speed and you'll feel it almost swing the rear out. It never actually does and you can gas through the apex, yum. It was far from the fastest car I've ever driven but it was hands down the most confidence inspiring. As one of those posts above stated, I was one of those guys in an ITR that was beating "most" S2000s at the track. It sure makes a difference when a car begs to be pushed harder vs. one that'll kick your ass if you run out of skill.

That being said, I don't think I'd choose an ITR over an S2000 now that I've spent seat time in the latter. I say don't get one because despite its performance, there are better cars to choose from nowadays. Progress ain't always a b*tch. If you do end up getting one, I doubt it'll be in the "best bang for your buck" or "most fun" categories. You'll probably be getting it because it's iconic, and that's fine too. It's definitely still enjoyable but my advice is to look elsewhere unless you're a collector.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 AM

I originally intended to buy a type r for a daily driver myself. I went up to NC and test drove a few, there were pretty quick, and sounded very good. But then as i was driving it around i realized something. Its intended to be my Daily Driver, and some one else would LOVE to have that car, and treat it a lot better than i would as a daily. I ended up buying a 1999 Integra GS-R since it had more things like a sun roof, and electric windows and locks. It also came with a viper alarm.

The other factor to consider, if you love your s2000, like i do, its much simpler to get a car you will never want to mod. I didn't want to get distracted from spending money on my s2000.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Despite being targeted so often by thieves, and it is rather difficult to find one unmolested, I still have a goal of owning the Honda Trifecta:

NSX
2000-01 Integra Type R
2001 S2000 (current)

The Integra R has some redeeming qualities - for a FWD car, it's a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Acura Integra Type R