Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura RL CandD Short take

Old 06-26-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought the new TL will have an SH-AWD version?? if so, then why is acura still selling RLs with v6 and SH-AWD?? what exactly does the RL offer that the TL with SH-AWD won't??
Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a rebadged Accord.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Former Moderator

I like RLs, but they just don't make sense.

God I hope the new "supercar" Honda's working on represents a real marketing rethink. I honestly think Honda builds some of the best cars in the world, I just really wonder who is handing their marketing research over there.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 AM

That's an Accord.

And I will say, I actually LIKED the current RL's (to others dismay). I onno wth they did.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:37 AM

Brrrrrrrrr
Old 06-27-2008, 04:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just drop the TL and TSX. Bundle the sh-awd into the accord and TL.

Give the TL a SH-AWD Type S with some ballz to replace the RL outright.

Done, and with technology and sport. The same pizzaz that Lexus touts.

And then while they have that new found space, throw in the S2k replacement (calling it an Acura, this will inject some hype into the slow brand). Just make something people want. I don't think us S2k owners (and previous owners) care if it was badged Acura or Honda, just feed us will ya?

So there you go, two halo cars that shout I am Honda, I am sport. Type-S TL with SH-AWD and an S2k replacement.

All the other plebe cars should get upgrades like sh-awd as an additional model too.

Will shut up some people and probably save some money.

All this while everyone waits for the NSX.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 AM

I saw a magazine add somewhere for the new RL, where the body was in gray to match the grille. That is the only place it looked good to me. Basically, Acura should either offer different color choices for the grille so that it will have a better integrated look, or they should make the grille smaller. Overall a grille should not be that big unless it is on a big SUV (like the MDX).
Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christople,Jun 26 2008, 09:17 PM
looks like a bigger accord
Yup.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I second all the "looks like an Accord" comments. In fact, it looks like a 6th gen Accord more than a current 8th gen Accord, to me.

Would I buy one? Not new, but used, I'd definitely consider it, especially in Canada where the AWD would be an asset. They're quite a bit cheaper than a comparable Lexus GS350 in the used market...
Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 AM

Everyone keeps saying a larger Accord, larger Accord, but you do realize that the RL is actually smaller than the newest Accord, right? Overall length is 193.6 for the RL vs 194.1 for the Accord and the RL is a midsize sedan while the Accord is listed as a large by the EPA, which is based on interior volume.

With that said, to me, that makes the RL even more worthless of a product. In fact, when the new TL comes out, the RL will be completely worthless, as only the truly lost will buy one over the newer, larger, sportier TL, which is the same situation as '99 where the 2nd gen. TL was introduced and there was almost no reason to buy the first year RL of that same year for many of the same reasons.

Maybe Acura can get the 3rd gen right, although sometimes I think they should just drop the idea all together. I mean given their refusal to change, which in some ways is good, I don't know if they have what it takes to truly create a car that is head and shoulders above the 5 series (consider that Acura doesn't have a motor making more than 300hp, no V8, no 6, 7, 8 speed auto transmission, and only has FWD based chassis, etc...). So then, the new RL will still have to be substantially cheaper than the 5 series, BUT with the TL creeping up in price (a new loaded SH-AWD TL is rumored to be over 45k), how would that be possible?

Quick Reply: Acura RL CandD Short take