Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For all the naysayers

Old 06-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney,Jun 3 2008, 10:54 PM
Memo to site moderators: please arrange for "Mr. Slick" badges for our sigs. Thank you.

Put me on that list.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steviec,Jun 4 2008, 06:37 AM
Which explains their me too march into the SUV market a decade or so ago.

I'm not certain I understand who that statement would be aimed at. Yes, Honda has a small lineup, as does Toyota. Yes it would seem this approach when compared to, oh let's say GM with 6 midsize cars as compared to Toyotas one (the Camry) is perhaps the lower road.

And this year GM continues to develop their upcoming (2010) Volt plug in electric while Honda continues to ply the market with second rate (to Toyota) hybrid technology. What was that about looking ahead?

I would argue they are benefitting by coincidence and not planning. A forward looking company would have invested more into hybrid and electric technology. Yes, Honda does have some CNG and Fuel Cell development, but these are attention grabbers and little more. A forward looking company, given your arguments would not have bothered to develop the Ridgeline, refresh the Pilot or create the RDX.

Using your logic Suzuki, had they managed to stick it out long enough would be selling the hell out of their small cars. Alas it seems their crystal ball was defective, and/or no one really expected or wanted to believe oil would reach these levels so quickly.

Anyhow, your posts also ignore the rest of reality. Small car sales are up across the board. Ford announced a 53 percent increase in the sales of their Focus recently. I guess they too are ahead of the curve and doing it better than anyone?
F'ing clown...

1. Chey Volt has been delayed with problems in bringing li-ion tech at that price point. If anything, this car as been nothing but an attention grabber for GM and no one has seen any real progress with this concept.
2. Meanwhile Honda is introducing 2 next gen hybrid vehicles next year. They've had 10 years to improve on the hybrid tech THAT THEY WERE THE FIRST IN THE WORLD to premier in the insight, and you can best believe that these next-gen hybrids are going to be VERY good. Meanwhile, the competition, excluding Toyota has been caught with their thumbs up their asses, with no worthy future hybrids in the pipeline.
3. Are you a ****ing clown? Honda's fuel cell vehicle is just an 'attention-grabber'. Ever heard of the FCX - the world's first and ONLY fuel-cell vehicle certified for road use and sales (albeit in California - due to infrastructure)
4. Just because small cars are in and big SUVS are losing favor fast this doesn't mean that some folks still don't want a larger vehicle - hence the Pilot, MDX, CR-V and such - which dominate sales in their class by the way, by being forward thinking and using V6s with cylinder deactivation instead of thirsty, pointless V8s.

The MDX slaughtered the X5 and ML class vehicles in sales.

5. Pull your head out of your ass and do some research before spouting out complete BS
Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by steviec,Jun 4 2008, 08:37 AM
Which explains their me too march into the SUV market a decade or so ago.
Their march into a very successful market in which they still continue to sell better than the competition (relative to last year, for instance) with more fuel and space efficient vehicles. The Odyssey and Pilot have been massive successes and the Ridgeline has met sales goals each year it has been sold.

I'm not certain I understand who that statement would be aimed at. Yes, Honda has a small lineup, as does Toyota. Yes it would seem this approach when compared to, oh let's say GM with 6 midsize cars as compared to Toyotas one (the Camry) is perhaps the lower road.
Honda has a smart lineup that is fairly small. Toyota has a huge lineup (more than twice as many vehicles) and GM has a massive lineup. Honda's lineup has been hugely successful because they focused on making a few good cars as opposed to a bunch of mediocre ones. The Civic, Fit, and Accord are all pretty much the cream of the crop in their respective segments, not to mention the Odyssey. The CR-V is arguably down on power, though the record sales last year and this year (on pace to be the best selling SUV in the USA) indicate the consumers certainly don't think so.

The lower road (as you call) seems to be the best road at the moment. Do it right and you don't need to have multiple models (or variations of models) - you just sell every one you can make in the few models on which you focused.

And this year GM continues to develop their upcoming (2010) Volt plug in electric while Honda continues to ply the market with second rate (to Toyota) hybrid technology. What was that about looking ahead?
For $48K dollars? Yeah, really affordable and cost efficient.

Honda has technology and efficiency NOW while promising (in the next two years) ultra-fuel efficient models in both small, medium, and large vehicles (diesels and hybrids). They've been looking ahead for a long time and they're using great starting platforms to exploit their upcoming engine and hybrid technology. Toyota isn't bringing diesels for a while (as far as we know) and neither is GM or Nissan. Ford plans on bringing them over, I believe.

Honda has also developed a urea-less system for cleaning diesel emissions. No one else has anything similar and that is allowing them into the US diesel market ahead of anyone else except potentially VW (de facto diesel presence in USA until now) and Mercedes (non-competitor to Honda). Everyone else is having to either pay royalties for the Bluetec system or else develop their own technology. Oh yeah, that's right, Honda went and figured it out before everyone and now they'll reap even more money. TSX and Accord that get 50+ mpg on the highway? Yeah, they're not going to sell well at all......

I would argue they are benefitting by coincidence and not planning. A forward looking company would have invested more into hybrid and electric technology. Yes, Honda does have some CNG and Fuel Cell development, but these are attention grabbers and little more. A forward looking company, given your arguments would not have bothered to develop the Ridgeline, refresh the Pilot or create the RDX.
Of course you would, since you're a naysayer. Why would Honda invest in certain technologies when the cost efficiency wasn't where it needed to be? They've got everything they need RIGHT NOW to take full advantage of the market plus giving themselves more time to bring even more efficient vehicles in the very near future (Fit Hybrid, CR-Z, and all the diesel vehicles including Pilot, Odyssey, Accord, and probably CR-V). They're selling every hybrid they can make plus lots of less-expensive, more fun vehicles (Fit and Civic) that are much more readily available.

Honda sells a lot of Pilots and the Ridgeline is meeting (and has met) sales expectations since they were introduced. They still both sell (comparatively) better than the majority of the competition in terms of past sales vs current sales.

Using your logic Suzuki, had they managed to stick it out long enough would be selling the hell out of their small cars. Alas it seems their crystal ball was defective, and/or no one really expected or wanted to believe oil would reach these levels so quickly.
No, because Suzukis of yore were pieces of crap. Honda builds great cars that are generally fun to drive, efficient, and reliable. Those three core values are what are selling all of their cars right now.

People have been moaning for Honda to develop bigger, faster, more powerful engines for years and Honda has resisted that idea heavily. A 3.5L motor as the biggest available when you have a large SUV and a midsize pickup? People scoffed and said that people WANTED and NEEDED those big engines. Where are those people now? Trading in their vehicles with big, inefficient engines for an "underpowered" Honda.

Anyhow, your posts also ignore the rest of reality. Small car sales are up across the board. Ford announced a 53 percent increase in the sales of their Focus recently. I guess they too are ahead of the curve and doing it better than anyone?
Sure, but who's selling the most of them? Who put the significant resources in (a LONG time ago) to make the BEST small and medium cars that offer performance, efficiency, and reliability instead of building big SUVs, big trucks, and cars with big motors and not a lot else? Even Toyota got caught up in the race.

Yeah, you've really showed me what's real. Honda sucks, they got lucky, and they're still behind the curve.

You don't craft an ENTIRE COMPANY and tie your success to a coincidence. Honda has consistently maintained (or improved) sales and profit margins along with everyone else in the "good years" and now they're maintaining those sales (or improving them, overall) in the "bad years".
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Jun 4 2008, 08:48 AM
Not that it doesn't matter but Motorcycles factor into those figures and Honda was offering below 4.9% on bikes for the first time ever this spring, and at the same time the automotive division had 2.9% on the Civics. Some very attractive financing options definitely help move vehicles.
If you're talking about my figures, you're wrong. I quoted (and linked) only to automotive sales. Motorcycles weren't ever in the picture.

2.9% financing is still higher than many other companies are offering (0%, 0.9%, and 1.9%) right now to move vehicles off the lot. Toyota is offering 0% on the Corolla and Camry.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 AM

lol, and let's not forget that the RDX was probably turbo'd as a pilot for upcoming turbo or turbodiesel vehicles from honda that will likely be very efficient. It fits right into the RDX "technocharged" theme, and allows them to do some real worlds testing on the their turbo technology. It's all about platform planning, and I think in this case Honda has/will show us how it is done.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

[QUOTE=JonBoy,Jun 4 2008, 07:28 AM] If you're talking about my figures, you're wrong.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Wow Jonboy, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out that Honda has always been into smaller engines, smaller tires, etc, so it may look like it planned this all out, but even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Personally, I think Honda's just in front of the mob now, and in the past it was behind the mob when SUVs were the rage, but Honda caught up by outsourcing SUVs and eventually building some. I don't think Honda has any crystal ball that lets it see anything the rest of the auto industry doesn't, but it definitely planned better than some makers.

If you look at all the manufacturers, the trend is that small car sales are way up, but trucks, lux cars, and SUVs are down. If you have a lot of small cars in your lineup, like Honda and Toyota, you're doing well right now despite the sales drops elsewhere. If you have a lot of trucks and big cars, like Chrysler in particular, you're feeling the pain. Honda is in line with this trend - its small cars are up, its trucks and lux are down.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 AM

we set a sales record at one of our stores in May, most cars ever for them in May.....

I love my Honda.....
Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Jun 4 2008, 10:51 AM
I'm confused between these 2 then.

"- American Honda total vehicle sales of 167,997 (August 2007:158,342)
- American Honda total car sales of 114,796 (August 2002: 95,686)"

Are they talking about car vs pilot/ridgeline etc?

Also, 2.9% is for 60 months on a new Civic. I would guess that the 36/48 month option have lower rates so don't flip out
They differentiate between cars and SUVs/pickups, yes.

The Civic is offered at 0.9% up to 36 months, which is still higher than Toyota is offering on similar models (0%).
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jun 4 2008, 10:53 AM

Personally, I think Honda's just in front of the mob now, and in the past it was behind the mob when SUVs were the rage, but Honda caught up by outsourcing SUVs and eventually building some. I don't think Honda has any crystal ball that lets it see anything the rest of the auto industry doesn't, but it definitely planned better than some makers.
You can say that but one thing is missing, Honda has always been (at least for the last decade and a half) profitable. That is something GM and Ford can not say. I know there are a dozen reasons that go into GM and Ford's financial problems, but Honda has been true to a mission statement and fuel efficiency was one of the things that made them attractive even when fuel efficiency was not the rage.

Other companies stick their finger in the wind more and suffer for it. Honda builds stuff other see as quirky, but its not until now that people see the brilliance of the Fit or the common Civic or even a 4 banger CRV.

I just got my employer to allow me to work from home one day a week for about 7 months a year. That will cut my consumption by about 15%. And I can afford gas just fine. If gas hits $5, I may look into a motorcycle license and get a little Ninja to commute with in summer.

Quick Reply: For all the naysayers