Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

ANOTHER reason to avoid "Made in China" products

Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=GT_2003,Jun 26 2007, 02:11 PM] The last TV I bought was 3 yers ago.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mulder ATO,Jun 26 2007, 02:11 PM
As long as the product isn't a "home grown in China" product, its ok. It has to pass the quality standards of its parent company which in most cases is NOT Chinese. It seems to be those products which are from Chinese owned companies that are threats to the livelihoods of consumers.
Now, this is what should've been said in the original post. However, "home grown in China" products can be good if they are meant to be expensive, quality products. They'd still have to pass their own stringent quality tests. In the future, once China will have become a fully developed nation, their own products will vastly improve as more stringent quality standards will be implemented.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Them simple small things that we buy for $5 shipped in from China would probably cost $35 if they were assembled by Americans with US salaries and expectations that the American worker can make a living US wage with it.

I
Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Yawn another moron falling for media hype. Does the sensationalist media have you drones by the leash? A few "recalls" from foreign companies and it makes headlines news....nevermind the many recalls from DOMESTIC companies
Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by You_Gandoo,Jun 26 2007, 05:56 PM
Yawn another moron falling for media hype. Does the sensationalist media have you drones by the leash? A few "recalls" from foreign companies and it makes headlines news....nevermind the many recalls from DOMESTIC companies
that is true. But the flip side of the coin is the issues are so beyond what would be called "the norm," it is scary. A company contracted to build tires to spec "unilaterally" deciding to drop a fundamental safety feature to save a few dollars is generally unacceptable. Painting children's toys with lead-based paint might be forgiven out of ignorance, but that is the scary problem.

It's your business if you choose to buy products coming from manufacturers that seem to not grasp the concept of honoring contracts or protecting the safety of the consumer. I'm not willing to put myself or my friends and family at risk to save a few bucks, and I don't think I am alone. These issues are certainly not restricted to Chinese manufacturers, but it does seem lately that these are only the ones we know about so far.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=You_Gandoo,Jun 26 2007, 06:56 PM]Yawn another moron falling for media hype.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by You_Gandoo,Jun 26 2007, 05:56 PM
I hope your not referring to me.

My WHOLE intention for this post was to bring attention to the potential dangers of driving on tires bought from this company in NJ that happen to be "Made in China." I'm not trying to blow anything out of proportion, but merely bring awareness to the s2ki community- there's no need to attack one's views and interpretations of the media just because it doesn't agree with your own.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by kumainu,Jun 26 2007, 01:40 PM
The title of this thread is also a bit moronic as well, because '"made in China" products' means everything that's made in China.
Not to start a shitstorm, but you're a bit moronic for taking "Made in China" so literally.

This reminds me of the "Sue Your Pants Off" thread in the Off-topic forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=502162) where the plantiff is suing because a sign claiming "Satisfaction Guaranteed" was misleading. No reasonable person would assume the owners would do ANYTHING humanly possible to guarantee satisfaction, which is much like the title of my post. I wasn't literally saying to avoid and turn a blind eye to all products "Made in China," but employing an advertising strategy of grabbing the reader's attention.

The purpose of the title was to bring attention and awareness to a recent and potentially dangerous reall that could endanger thousands of motorists riding on these tires.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fronks2k,Jun 27 2007, 08:01 AM
I wasn't literally saying to avoid and turn a blind eye to all products "Made in China,"
What exactly is "avoid 'Made in China' products" supposed to mean if not "avoid 'Made in China' products"?

If what you wrote didn't match what you meant, it's your fault people are misinterpreting your words, not theirs.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Jun 27 2007, 08:29 AM
Seconded. Were there calls to boycott American products when the massive Firestone recall occurred? Check this -- here's just a subset of the American-made products recalled in the past two weeks:Should we freak out because all made in America products catch fire or give us diseases? No, that would be stupid. I absolutely agree that products made in China probably have a higher failure rate due to their lower cost of manufacture, but these calls damning all made in China products smack of bias and prejudice rather than any kind of informed analysis.
Um.... you convieniently leave out that US companies tend to be more regulated and recall voluntarily products that are hazardous. (although usually to avoid litigation) China often has no oversight, and the government generally turns a blind eye as long as it is selling asnd they are not getting bad PR. Think not? They sure have clamped down on counterfeiting products in China like software, fake ping clubs and designer handbags. Yeah the chinese government sure is a watchdog.

Check out CNN.com today and read about the Chinese food companies INTENTIONALLY adding hazardous and poisonous chemicals to food for export.

I have noticed that a lot fo the prepackaged fish fillets are coming from China now. Farm raised Tilapia, Flounder, Perch. etc. I buy this stuff frequently and find if I buy domestic it is fine, but somewhere along the line the stuff from China is not kept frozen and usually has turned yellow and smells awfully fishy while still frozen. Thawed is just nasty. Bad quality control somewhere in the chain.

No Thanks.

I agree that you can not avoid buying products from China because they are everywhere, but you can avoid lots if you try. And I do.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER reason to avoid "Made in China" products