Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another What Car to Buy Thread. For my Wife. Update Bought the Abarth

Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Automobile magazine kept a 2014 mini cooper for 1 year. It had the base 3 cyl. turbo. They complained about the harsh ride, questionable build quality, but liked the styling. i'd knock it off the list based on the dodgy build quality.

consider a used A3 Audi.
consider a VW golf (with diesel...they're cheap now...)

I love the abarth, but again, i question the build quality.

I have driven the original volt and really like it- but it does have not pleasant resale- it that's an issue for you.

I like your thinking with the mustang!
what about the new camaro- nice redesign.

new civic?
mazda 3?

good luck with your search.

darcy
Lots of good suggestions. The volt is meh to me. I feel like if I did anything semi electric I should just wait and try to get the Tesla model 3. Anything else I feel like will be a disappointment and will dive in value once the model 3 comes out.

Anything VW worries me right now. Long term cost to own is a concern as well with the price of parts. I have looked at the german cars outside of the Mini and feel like they aren't doable.

I like the mustang because of the ecoboost engine. I don't think the camaro offers anything like that and like how the mustang looks more.

Mazda 3 is one that crossed my mind but I haven't looked into so I will.

New civic just seems to bland. I would want an SI and thats a manual so its out.

Is the IS350 sub $30k? I will look into it. A lexus would be a very nice upgrade.

Honestly the more I look into the Abarth the better it sounds. The wife likes it and people have had them for a good while now with decent miles without major issues from what I am seeing. The major complaints seem to be the interior isn't as nice as the mini, the ride is a bit harsh (but the fit is lowered on wheels so I doubt the Fiat is worse) and that seems to be it. Car and driver had one of the lower models for 17k miles with no issues and on the fiat forums people have 40k+ without anything major. Super long term I could see it being more pricey but for the price and the finance deal it seems hard to loose money on it. I will keep looking at other options.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd take a Mazda 3 or BRZ over the Abarth/Cooper any day. I don't know enough about the new Rustangs to comment, other than they seem to be everywhere! It was hard for me to consider the Abarth fun to drive when it felt like I was sitting up really high in an SUV. I definitely couldn't see myself driving 100k miles in the thing.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 1,430 Likes on 959 Posts

Ford Focus RS?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Sorry I guess I should have been more clear as to why the same model of car as the one we are replacing wasn't being considered. Not snippy just funny to have the exact same model be suggested. Further you provided no reasons as to why it would or should be in option. Thats for the help anyway I guess.
I didn't recommend replacing an '07 Fit with an '07 Fit. While it is the same class and nameplate, the current generation is a highly improved car (as it should be after 8 years of R&D). While it's not going to be confused for a luxury car, the interior fit and finish has has a much better feel than the 1st and 2nd gen's. The new model gen feels a little less cheap (not knocking the old one's). I think Honda has pretty well improved it in every way (CVT being debatable).

You gave great reasons for it being on the list ("it has been a trooper. Zero Major issues. Cheap as hell to maintain and run").

Sincerely,
Unpaid car advice internet stranger
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
We picked up an Abarth cabrio last summer for a toy, we also considered the Cooper S. We found the Fiat has more room inside, and you can actually fit 2 people in the backseat of the Fiat quite well.

The Abarth is a blast, arguably more fun (to me) to drive than the Cooper S. I can't comment about long term reliability, we've got about 6k on our Abarth, but it has been fine thus far.

No freaking way? Those cars have a BACK seat? I would have never guessed.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
If you can do small, lexus IS350.

Those cars are still super expensive. I've looked at some used ones and they're pricey. At least they are in my area.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Corolla S
Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1447727943' post='23805299
If you can do small, lexus IS350.

Those cars are still super expensive. I've looked at some used ones and they're pricey. At least they are in my area.
We picked up a lightly used one for 23$k.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Site Moderator

The used car market here in Seattle is stupid. Unless you are looking for a beater clean couple year old used cars often cost so close to new it doesn't make sense. Factor in the better financing deals for new, warranty etc new makes sense depending on the car.

Ford Focus RS I wish. They are $40k+ manual only and just doesn't make sense. Would be really fun though.

No to the Corolla and no to the bed. If the bed was even remotely an option I would force her to drive a stick and buy a low miles 06+ap2. That has been shut down though.

I'll have to test drive the abarth but it's more what she will be comfortable in and not me.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Site Moderator

So looked at the Mazda 3 and it seems kinda bland. In the same realm as the Civic, Non ST Focus, Carolla etc and it is more expensive than the Abarth which would be more fun and has a lot more personality. We need to test drive the Abarth and see if it something we like. If it isn't we will consider some of these other options but they do seem less fun albeit more practical.

Quick Reply: Another What Car to Buy Thread. For my Wife. Update Bought the Abarth