Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

any links to 2013 Exige S actual test performance #'s?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM
ats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should have 345hp not 375hp but as Evora should be easily upgraded.

I am waiting for the roadster version myself (I am in Europe )

Visited the Lotus factory and test track (Hethel) this summer to see the new Exige.

Performance and grip is awesome! Looks like s2000 first gear has the same accelaration as Exiges 3rd gear - after this Hethel experience driving to s2k made a feeling that the gas pedal only makes a noise but car doesnot move at all...
Did not like the Exiges gearbox though.

btw, there are is a cup version in US already
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/w...-vegas-122608/
Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i really like this body style....waiting to see if i like its performance
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scot
i didn't watch the video but what the hell.... it has almost as muhc hp and weighs 600lb less.... maybe conditions were drastically different?

Originally Posted by waltk88' timestamp='1355160532' post='22201068
Here's a video from Evo Car of the Year 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGWrH-f5zaE

The Exige lap time is not all that impressive. It's only 0.5s quicker than a base 991 Carrera.

i saw the magazine at Barnes and Nobel tonight and the track musta been pretty tight... mclaren at 1:02.8 vs Lotus at 1:04.4... 1.5 second difference must not have had much of a straightway with as close as those times are.
My understanding of what I've been reading about the car is that it is faster around a track than anything of comparable price, and it will be available in the US as a track-prepped car.

The Lotus is a faster, more focused car than a base Carrera for less money. How is that not impressive? The fact that it might be slower than a McLaren is not surprising given the price difference (among others ) between the cars.

It's not a Viper, for sure. And I'm definitely not in the market for a track-only Lotus. But given what it is designed to do, I don't know that I can find fault. The only short-coming I can find is the lack of a state-side license plate. I can understand that would be an issue if it were to replace a street-driven Viper. But if someone were looking for a twice-a-month track car, how it compares on paper to a stock Carrera or McLaren might not matter. Such comparisons might actually be a non-sequitor
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

damn~~~ new exige looks so sick..
but the wheels
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I expected the Lotus to be more than a second faster than a 911 considering it has similar power but weighs sooo much less.... but my post was just saying that it must have been a pretty tight course for all of the cars to be so close in overall time.... I would love to have that Lotus. It would probably be way easier to drive at speed than my car. My car is a bull in a china shop.... if my RX8 had more hp i think I would enjoy driving it more than the viper. It is not on edge all the time like the viper.

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
My understanding of what I've been reading about the car is that it is faster around a track than anything of comparable price, and it will be available in the US as a track-prepped car.

The Lotus is a faster, more focused car than a base Carrera for less money. How is that not impressive? The fact that it might be slower than a McLaren is not surprising given the price difference (among others ) between the cars.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by Scot' timestamp='1355171250' post='22201528
i didn't watch the video but what the hell.... it has almost as muhc hp and weighs 600lb less.... maybe conditions were drastically different?

[quote name='waltk88' timestamp='1355160532' post='22201068']
Here's a video from Evo Car of the Year 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGWrH-f5zaE

The Exige lap time is not all that impressive. It's only 0.5s quicker than a base 991 Carrera.

i saw the magazine at Barnes and Nobel tonight and the track musta been pretty tight... mclaren at 1:02.8 vs Lotus at 1:04.4... 1.5 second difference must not have had much of a straightway with as close as those times are.
The Lotus is a faster, more focused car than a base Carrera for less money. How is that not impressive? The fact that it might be slower than a McLaren is not surprising given the price difference (among others ) between the cars. [/quote]

Um...of course it will be faster. The Carrera is a luxury GT, not a track beast. Have you sat in and drive a 991? Didn't think so...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I saw another track test of the Exige S. UK's Car magazine took the GT86 (Euro FR-S), Focus ST, Boxster S, C63 Black and Pagani Huayra onto Anglesey circuit. The lap times:
GT86 1:09.4
Focus ST 1:08.9
Exige S 1:04.2
Boxster S 1:04.1
C63 Black 1:03.2
Huayra 59.7

The Car article has some explanation of the Lotus' track performance:
I think it comes down to a combination of two things on this track: firstly, on the straight it feels like you're really trapping the Exige to get the best out of it - where the Boxster and Merc soar, it feels like you're hurting the Lotus, as if its performance is too weedy at the top end, something that's never an issue on the road. Secondly, there are a lot of slower, more technical corners on Anglesey's National circuit, where you have to be patient with the Exige's front end or risk scrubbing off speed with understeer - the Boxster resists understeer far more robustly.

Wow, it's a bit surprising that such an uncompromising machine finishes behind the much more practical Boxster S on the track. Is Lotus overrating the output of the supercharged V6, or is the Exige significantly heavier than the claimed weight?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i saw that magazine at Barnes and Nobel... WTF... how is a Boxster S faster? on paper it should not even be close. I guess time will tell.

Originally Posted by waltk88
I saw another track test of the Exige S. UK's Car magazine took the GT86 (Euro FR-S), Focus ST, Boxster S, C63 Black and Pagani Huayra onto Anglesey circuit. The lap times:
GT86 1:09.4
Focus ST 1:08.9
Exige S 1:04.2
Boxster S 1:04.1
C63 Black 1:03.2
Huayra 59.7

The Car article has some explanation of the Lotus' track performance:
I think it comes down to a combination of two things on this track: firstly, on the straight it feels like you're really trapping the Exige to get the best out of it - where the Boxster and Merc soar, it feels like you're hurting the Lotus, as if its performance is too weedy at the top end, something that's never an issue on the road. Secondly, there are a lot of slower, more technical corners on Anglesey's National circuit, where you have to be patient with the Exige's front end or risk scrubbing off speed with understeer - the Boxster resists understeer far more robustly.

Wow, it's a bit surprising that such an uncompromising machine finishes behind the much more practical Boxster S on the track. Is Lotus overrating the output of the supercharged V6, or is the Exige significantly heavier than the claimed weight?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

WTF is what I was also thinking. I wouldn't want to be the new owner of an Exige S and then find myself struggling to keep up with a Boxster S on ANY track.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
ats

Could be several things - gearing did not fit for the track or bad setup or the Exige did not fit for the driver.

Above stated evo car of the year track times are a bit better ones:
1st: Pagani Huayra - 1:02.5
2nd: McLaren MP4-12C - 1:02.8
3rd: Lotus Exige V6 - 1:04.4
4th: Porsche 911 Carrera - 1:05.1
5th: Porsche Boxster S - 1:05.5
6th: Mercedes C63 Black - 1:06.9
7th: Alpina B3 GT3 - 1:07.7
8th: BMW M135i - 1:07.7
9th: Toyota GT86 - 1:12.8
10th: Morgan 3 Wheeler - 1:19.2

Quick Reply: any links to 2013 Exige S actual test performance #'s?