Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any thoughts on the new Mazda 6??

Old 12-20-2002, 06:40 AM
Zam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see many of these running around(Mazda 6). They are nice, but don't really compete with the big three(Maxima, Accord, Camry) due to size. The Mazda looks a little bigger than a Civic Sedan, maybe closer to a 3 series sedan. Albeit, the car is well proportioned and should be considered. The first thing you'd have to do is dump those ricer taillights & it would be a serious contender.

DouglaS2000: Why not get a used G35, Maxima or IS300? I'm almost certain you can pick up a 255hp 6 speed Maxima for right around $20k. Hit maxima.org if you want the down and dirty on what it can really do(14.3 in the quarter... stock).

Happy "Beater" shopping...

Zam
Old 12-20-2002, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, I've already been doing that. Test drove the Maxima with the VQ35 and 6 spd months ago, and was considering a used 02 or a used 02 I35. The IS is still to expensive currently and the G35 is butt ugly (literally) imo. I do like the G35 coupe, but that is in a completely different class. Been to the maxima.org site many times already as my mother used have a 97 Maxima GLE and it was a great car. Just the styling doesn't thrill me as much with any of the Maxima's.

I guess my S will have to remain my daily driver..
Old 12-20-2002, 11:19 AM
Zam

I'd have to agree with you on the Maxima's looks. The last time a Maxima was considered sexy was in '94. The '04 Maxima isn't looking to be much either .

The G35 styling is still up for debate, but I'm sure a private party IS300 can be had for right at $20k.

The good thing about all this is that there are so many nice beaters to choose from. You just have to find the right one...

Zam
Old 12-20-2002, 12:25 PM

Allright, I'll chime in. Here are my thoughts as someone who drove the 6 on Sun. and bought an '03 Accord EX V6 later that same day. I was totally underwhelmed with the 6. First, I thought the inside was full of hard, cheap plastics. Not nearly as nice as the Accord. Next, I thought it was slow (I drove a manual V6). My old '97 manual Maxima SE would have eaten its lunch, and the new Accord (with a slush-box no less) wouldn't even break a sweat. On top of that, the Ford Duratec was course and unexciting (definitely not in the same class as the amazing Honda motor). The handling and steering were certainly decent, but I would not say markedly better than the Accord (provided you put decent shoes on the Accord). They are, after all, both front-drive family sedans so they aren't sports sedans to begin with. And, I was not at all impressed with the manual in the Mazda. I thought the shifter was vague and had somewhat long throws (but, the S2000 has definitely jaded me as far as shifters are concerned). In the end, I thought the manual in the Mazda would be more chore than joy. As for styling, well it's subjective, and in my opinion, I think the Mazda is a little too juvenille. And, I actually really like the looks of the Accord. So, in a nut shell, I couldn't be happier with the Accord, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. It's a fantastic amount of car for the money (I paid $24,200 + only tax and tags for my EX V6). Oh, and don't forget about resale value (or lack thereof in the Mazda's case). Finally, forget about a Maxima (in my opinion). That car is ancient and will be put out to pasture with its twist-beam rear end in a few months. My old Maxima had absolutely horrendous handling, and the newer versions date back to the '95 model. I don't think I've ever driven a car with more understeer than that Maxima. You could spill your coffee when the nose of that thing pitched into a corner. Those are my thougts, for what little their worth.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Zam

Yes the handling isn't stellar. Even after $500 in Koni Adjustables, a $75 sway bar, and $200 H&R springs my Maxima is a rather rough riding, noisy & a somewhat heavy handling-car. These things aside, the 190 hp & 204 tq are godsends that make up for these shortcomings. Despite this, my love-hate Maxima relationship will end soon with something new ...
2003 M3? 2003/4 S4 Avant? or dump my S & Max for an M5. . . decisions decisions decisions.

Zam
Old 12-20-2002, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welp, I am going to do my best to stay away from Honda for all my future cars. After owning 4 Honda's previous, I do not like the direction they are taking with increasing the sizes and uninspired designs. I've been lucky with Honda's customer service as they have provided me the least stress when warrantying work on all my past cars and my S2k. But after seeing all the issues others have had with Honda, I don't want to take a chance with another Honda.

The Accord is uglier than the previous generation it replaces on the exterior, it has gotten too big (porky), and handles the worst, comparing it to the Maxima, Mazda 6, IS300 in my opinion. The Accord is beginning to look geriatric to me, just like the Camry. The Accord coupe is nicer, but the front end does nothing for me, bland trangular shaped headlamps, flat nose with an oversized Honda emblem look generic. The only place I do see improvement is the interior of the Accords. They are excellent, ergonomics, fit and finish, appearance are all good. If only some of that design sense could spill over to the exterior.

I also do like the integrated keyless remote into the head of the key but it will take alot more than that to bring me back to Honduh.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Zam

There is always going to be a little honda in your life. Once you move on from that S, you'll always think back to the days when you could rev to 8900+ rpms!

The jury is still out on the new Accord. The sedan's rear looks like a Saturn (a bit dorky), but the coupe is a beauty. Too bad there are so many better 2 doors to choose from...CL-S, 350Z, G35 Coupe, CLK, M3... With the last generation Accord the sedan was the pretty sister, whereas the coupe was dog ugly. Now their roles have changed.

Despite the exterior looks, the Accord interior is a gem. I like how the dash lights up when you open the doors, but then again I'm simple...

Zam