Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

AWD really slower from a roll?

Old 02-24-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by pfb
AWD can offer an advantage on standing starts do to traction.

AWD can be a disadvantage in higher speed accelleration due to more drag and higher weight.
I CONCUR......case in point......

going home, friday after work:

i line up against a modded M5 (god i love that car) near an on-ramp to the highway. he's revving at me the whole time we're waiting for the light to change.....he's in the correct on-ramp lane, and i'm one lane next to it...light turns green, we both mash the throttle...my car rockets off....i merge a few car lengths ahead of him....we get on the highway, he's behind me....stays that way for 30 minutes....we get onto another highway where trafic is substantially lighter.....he switches lanes and guns it....i do the same....well, it was over before it started.....he was opening up car lengths on me very rapidly......

i've raced a stock M5 before and the difference was not that much.....

i was in the S8.

i know the M5 has 40 horses on me (stock to stock).....but, i'm not sure of the weight differences between the 2 cars (if any)....
Old 02-24-2003, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess it does help when racing, but not as much as the ban would imply.
It's clear that AWD does help with grip, especially low grip situations like rally car racing.
If it were really better why hasn't it shown up in more forms of racing (F1,Cart, or even Nascar)?

Anyone know more about the speed world challange cars? The Audi's are faster at first, but
they end up running the tires off of the cars because of the added weight. My question is: is the
weight added because of the AWD, or in penality weight to even things out?

It's makes for great racing, because the Audi's always jump out at the start. But by the
end of the race they end up fighting for the lead.

And how come you almost never see an AWD sports car that doesn't have a turbo?
AWD Turbo just seems to be the status quo. Weird.

-Ed
Old 02-24-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Banned in CART since 1969 (wasn't CART then, I know). My memory is that one of the Unser brothers finished second that year in a 4wd. Used to be a few 4wd cars running at Indy, the Novi for one. They usually broke. Probably outlawed in F1 also.

When Audi was running 4wd in Trans Am they were almost unbeatable on the street courses. Later in races when the marbles built up and/or pavement started to break down, they were much quicker in the turns and had a little more choice of lines, so they could still pass. Took the fun out of racing on the street courses, so, no more 4wd.