Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

which better for partial daily driver evo vs. sti

Old 08-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i now see that this thread is decomposing, ???is the evo worse or better than the s on a long trip???
Old 08-04-2004, 01:46 PM

I've driven my EVO on a couple of 5 hours trips and it wasn't bad at all. I thought that with the stiff suspension that my back would kill but the seats are so good that it's not bad. The only thing that the EVO is missing for long trips is cruise control.

Now the STi's suspension is a bit softer so it might be a better trip car...but I don't know cause I've never taken a trip in one.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:07 PM

Uhhh... a STi or EVO being described as a "beater"? Gee, thanks...

Anyways, STi's suspension is "softer" but only because the springs are not properly matched to the struts... therefore its actually a bit boucy. A set of STi "pink" springs fixes this and makes the car feel the way it should have from day 1.

Even though I have an STi so surely I'm biased, I honestly have to say that the lack of boost lag makes it a better daily "beater" than the EVO. Oh yeah, the choice of stock tires on either one of these cars makes them stiff and noisy. If you want, you can change them out for a different type of tires which makes both cars considerably quieter at speed. Other than that, its all engine noise. My STi has a TBE and the turbo is very loud.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:28 PM

no brainer...the sti would be your choice. softer ride and wider front seats. however, the evo has a little more interior room than the sti (the evo is wider and has more room for the rear passengers).
Old 08-04-2004, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by godai,Aug 4 2004, 12:21 PM
Of course the STi.
I would have to agree. My STi is very comfortable on my commute to work.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have driven both....including a 7 day and 7,000 mile stretch in my Evo and the car was fine. The people that say the car is too stiff are probably not used to driving a car of that type. Like I said, I spent a VERY long continuous stretch in my Evo and was happy as a clam. Total miles after just over 2 MONTHS of ownership: 18,526 miles. After that much time I would have known if the car was a bad ride or not.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by osu s2k,Aug 4 2004, 02:43 PM
it's got to be an evo, sti,or maybe and r32. i need all wheel drive for winter, and i cant buy a car slower than the s2000, i know i'm a freak, after driving the porsche i need the speed. I figured i could get a decent deal on a slightly used evo, i could track it and i have been thinking about doing a newfoundland rally with my brother. Evo fits the bill but is it driveable to cleveland and back. How would it compare to the s2000 for a longer trip.
The new Legacy GT is not going to be that much slower than the S. If you don't mind modding it, it's not going to cost that much to make it even faster than the S.

If you're looking to do road racing, then you should take the EVO. It's faster out of the box. If you're looking to do off-road rallies, then take the STi cause that's where it shines.

The EVO is just as stiff as the S if not stiffer, but it does have more room for you and your luggage. However it doesn't have cruise control, so that will be a factor on long trips.

If you're planning to keep the cars relatively stock, then the STi is def. more comfortable. If you are looking to mod the crap out of them, then EVO is the way to go for now. Although the STi is quickly catching up since EM has been available for a bit now. Somebody in PR just ran a 11.2@128 on the stock engine.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:02 PM

Make sure you get a 06 EVO (active diff, slightly more power, and slightly bigger turbo); or a 05 STi (Helical front diff instead of viscous, better rear suspension, better steering, 8" wide rides)
Old 08-04-2004, 08:46 PM

STI has a more balanced power curve and nicer interior unless your get the super expensive evo. check the sig!
MAtt
Old 08-04-2004, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jsalicru,Aug 5 2004, 03:02 AM
Make sure you get a 06 EVO (active diff, slightly more power, and slightly bigger turbo); or a 05 STi (Helical front diff instead of viscous, better rear suspension, better steering, 8" wide rides)
You mean a 05 EVO. The MR bilsteins are supposed to be tuned nicely for street and performance as well. Also the 05 STi's helical front LSD replaced SureTrac which wasn't viscous and also it has all around suspension improvement, not just the "rear".

Quick Reply: which better for partial daily driver evo vs. sti