Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW escipades (z4 is quick)

Old 02-24-2003, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-24-2003, 11:55 AM

Nice mature story there. Great break-in technique. I'm sure the future owners of the cars you drove will appreciate your "kind and gentle" treatment of these vehicles. I'm also sure your boss would have really appreciated it if you had plowed that new M3 into a jersey barrier in that left-hand sweeper.

Maybe this should be copied to the bimmer forums so that anyone shopping for a new M3 or Z4 in Chicagoland will know to avoid these two vehicles. Better yet, maybe the internet sales manager at the Schaumburg dealer would like to see it too....

Its stories like this that strike fear in my heart every time I buy a new car. I cringe to think that my new 50K toy was someone else's "beater" for the night. Always buy right off the truck.

-R
Old 02-24-2003, 11:57 AM

Old 02-24-2003, 03:06 PM

You do realize a few e-mails to a select BMW officials could track you down and have you fired? Seriously, the same thing happened to a Ford mechanic when he decided to list a Cobra's license plate number that he had a joyride with. The woman found the thread and the mechanic was fired within a week. You may want to reconsider posting stuff like this on an open public forum.

-Matt
Old 02-24-2003, 05:35 PM

I wouldn't try to run you, in my S, or my M3, or my P5, or anything else I was driving that day. Street racing is stupid - ask the three people who died in Everett, WA last night due to a street race. Oh wait, you can't - they're DEAD.

Besides, the motor may be broken in (or may not), but the rest of the car isn't. Did you know it takes tires about 100-200 miles to break in and wear away the mold release before they develop max traction? What about the tranny? Or the brakes? Bottom line, you shouldn't be out joyriding in expensive cars that aren't yours. Period. Aside from the obvious risk you pose to the public, you're doing damage to someone else's car.

It was wise of you to remove the thread. But I should tell you that I already sent a copy to Patrick BMW earlier today. And I saved a copy on my HD, just in case. Hope you have an understanding boss.

First rule of life - when you do something stupid, don't write about it on the web.

-R
Old 02-24-2003, 05:43 PM

Thank you Selby. People who don't have respect for what is not theirs deserve to be punished. Phantom3jt, I hope you get put in your place and learn your lesson. Driving a car hard that is not yours to the point of being almost out of control is just as bad as someone taking a knife to your rag top.

-Matt
Old 02-24-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like he came back a few hours after his first post and edited all kinds of crap out of it. What did I miss here? Someone should have immediately "quoted" him so he could not edit stuff out.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:46 PM

I'm sure Selby will quote phantom's original post. He has it saved on his hard drive.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:01 PM

Basically what happened:

Phantom was a porter for BMW for the Chicago auto show. He and his co-worker were told to drive an M3 and a Z4 back to a dealer 30 miles away. The two guys drove very recklessly, and the M3 almost spun out of control. The Z4 was taken up to 135 without being properly broken in.

-Matt
Old 02-25-2003, 10:28 AM

Selby, do you have Phantom's original post? Someone has posted this link on one of BMW's forums. I happen to live in the same town where the BMW dealership (Schaumburg, IL) and having purchased few BMW's from them I happen to know the manager very well. I'd be more than happy to report this negligence to him. Hope these punks learn a lesson and maybe save someone's life in the future.

Quick Reply: BMW escipades (z4 is quick)