Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW sports car future

Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW sports car future

The Z2 is very much on the schedule and BMW are aiming this car to be in it's most simplist form , Power from only four cylinder engines including a range topping four cylinder twin turbo as mentioned before on the cards but never divulged further.
The Z4 will eventually be offered with this engine later in it's lifetime but for now the only four cylinder being placed in the Z4 is the diesel as found in the BMW 123d , this is expected to be available after launch at the IAA next September . The petrol powered turbo charged engine currently undergoing evaluations in the 1er Coupe is expected to replace the mid level non-turbo charged six cylinder engines as BMW work forward to further increase efficiency without compromise.

As for the Z2 if you think back to the introduction of the Z3 you get the idea and the proportions expected fro the smaller BMW Roadster . Officially considered as the Roadster for the Premium compact class.
Again a Roadster in the classic sense and not seen as a baby Z4 , Z2 will use different ideas but still recognisable as a Z car.
To keep weight down BMW will stick with a simple soft top originally intended for the new Z4 , magnesium engine blocks with welded aluminium front frame will provide chassis engineers with a significant base to begin working on tuning the car to it's optimum requirements.

A Hybrid sportscar for everybody?
Having learned some ideas from the MINI-E Concept there is always a "What If" if it was applied to a BMW ? Although never seen before but BMW have developed electric cars on it's models for some time now and engineers have built for evaluation full hybrid models of the latest cars such as the 7er , 1er Coupe , X1 and X6 .
When Tom Purves suggested an Electric Rolls-Royce he was not just speculating , it has been trialled in both full or mild hybrid.

With the Z2 BMW want to be the first amongst Premium manufacturers with a full hybrid sports car either in Coupe or Roadster form but not as a super expensive concept turned reality but the first identified as a sports car for everybody. When you look at how Toyota caught everyone napping with the Prius and look how such cars from the US domestic manufacturers are still effectively showing Concepts and Pre-production models where Toyota are about to launch the 3rd generation of Prius.

BMW aim to offer something without reverting to the traditional hybrid concept of a sleeker shape to help with aerodynamics and increase efficiency . Such aids used for this purpose will include
BMW's active aeroDYNAMIC technology which also includes special aerodynamic wheel designs.

Of course this project falls under "Efficient Dynamics" as do other ideas such as "Active Hybrid" And "BMW eDrive" starting with the next generation of M5 a new function "M:e" which will not only close down cylinders but will also activate the technology that will make BMW M division the more forward thinking and revolutionary performance cars in it's segement.
Posted today on Germancarzone by Scott27. The other guy, really misled me on the weight of a newly released Z. Lets just put his accuracy at a stout 85%. When things change these guys are always quick to relay. Creative Marketing at its best.

His first language was German but writes pretty good English. Take it as you wish. Time will tell.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 PM

I'll believe it when I see. The 135i was a total disappointment. They have sold like 1000 total in the US for last 2 months. Most of this has to do with overhyping an overweight car that is overpriced.

I'll keep my Z4M coupe until BMW actually brings out a worthy replacement.

If BMW brings a Z2 here I don't expect the car to weigh much less than 3000lbs regardless of a manual soft top. There is just so much stuff that is put in BMWs today that they get more bloated every year.

I'm seriosly considering going back to Porsche when the new Cayman S comes out..
Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 AM

^I rather like the Z4 coupe. Isn't it lighter than the drop top? It still is somewhat awkward, and it is another example of BMW purposely designing odd looking cars--but it's one of the best of the worst.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprint,Dec 18 2008, 04:28 AM
I'll believe it when I see. The 135i was a total disappointment. They have sold like 1000 total in the US for last 2 months. Most of this has to do with overhyping an overweight car that is overpriced.
Actually it is due to the looks and the price. It doesn't look masculine enough for the buyer it attracts. To offset the styling, it should be about $4,000 cheaper.

I hear these things from potential 135i buyers all the time (my office is in a BMW store).
Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Dec 18 2008, 05:06 AM
Actually it is due to the looks and the price. It doesn't look masculine enough for the buyer it attracts. To offset the styling, it should be about $4,000 cheaper.

I hear these things from potential 135i buyers all the time (my office is in a BMW store).
I concur. I'm the perfect target demographic for the 135i-- basically, I'm looking for something around $40K with the looks, performance, features and 2+2 practicality of the E46 M3, but I'd rather buy new. And to that end I'm actually car shopping, in this market, and paying cash.

And the only reason I'm not already in the 135i is because it is so goofy-looking. So CPO E46 M3 it is.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprint,Dec 18 2008, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't say total disappointment - its a good performer, its just overpriced and ugly imo.

Personally, I'm looking forward to smaller and lighter BMW and Porsche convertibles.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 AM

speaking of the 135 I really didn't like the car in pictures, and then I saw it on the road.... and now, if I had the dosh, and even though I'm not a big fan of the badge, I'd love to own one.

For me it's the perfect car.... I just don't know if I want to be seen in a bimmer
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the timeframe for the Z2's appearance at shows and eventually dealerships? I hope its not 2011 before its available.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 135, yep, not feeling the look (as in, why pick it instead of a 3 series?).
Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 AM

Too much good news to be true.

Z2 def sounds good to me.

super compact, tight and fuel efficient sport car

Quick Reply: BMW sports car future