Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Build-To-Order cars - a whole new way to produce and buy cars

Old 08-04-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Build-To-Order cars - a whole new way to produce and buy cars

Interesting read. Imagine how Dell builds computers, and apply that to cars. Think it'll work?

http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,3959...,1208845,00.asp
Old 08-04-2003, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with the computer industry comparison is that the computer industry has hundreds of manufacturers producing compatible parts to common standards. There's precious little standardization in the auto industry today, and suppliers won't standardize without huge motivation since they risk commoditizing themselves by doing so. GM or one of the other car manufacturers insisting on interface standardization would be a huge motivation; a twenty thousand car startup wouldn't.

Neat idea, and it's very possible they'll churn out cars and be a successful business. My guess, though, is that unless a much larger fish jumps on board, their cars are going to cost an awful lot due the "standardized" parts ending up as expensive pieces custom built for this application.

Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...although it just occurred to me that BTO could reduces costs significantly by, instead of inventing their own "standards", instead adopting those already commonly in use. This model's quite popular with small volume manufacturers like Saleen. For example, use the same seat, dashboard, and engine mounts as the Ford Mustang; in your showroom you can offer as many seat options as there are aftermarket seats for the Mustang. The parts suppliers don't know or care anything about you, but they don't have to since you're leveraging the critical mass of Mustang owners that already exists.

Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the really impatient buyers who want to go to the dealership and pick out their car that is already on the lot and drive home that day, I know people like that and it is really big on their behalf, when they want something, they want it immediately. Maybe the dealer should have a few already on the showroom for sale and already be for sale.

and one more thing, PedalFaster,

great idea about picking your seats, and dashboard and all but, their warranties on this wide range of products to be added on (by the factory) could be a bit of a problem having all of the aftermarket manufacturers go along with the full car warranty

I don't know, I'm just looking too much into it, but it is an awesome idea.

I believe there is one company that already does that, but the wait for the car is like 12-18months before you get your car
Old 08-04-2003, 11:49 AM

I think the best part of this might come from suspension preferences - It would seem that if one wanted a car such as the WRX with less body roll and better cornering, he could order the car with tighter suspension and lower springs and save the cost of ordering the car and then replacing the part entirely.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:32 AM

sounds like what you could do in the 60's... order your car, with what options you wanted, and have it built and delivered to your dealer..
Old 08-05-2003, 12:24 PM

I think this is a totally *awesome* idea. Speaking environmentally, once a viable source of non-gasoline-engines becomes available, they can be "plugged in" right away. No costly re-tooling. I like it a lot! I don't know if this is science fiction, but it would be really awesome.