Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What's the best bang for the buck new?
Mitsubishi EVO
54.55%
Subaru WRX
45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a new car: EVO or WRX?

Old 10-18-2004, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new car: EVO or WRX?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of selling the S and buying something a bit more practical. I still want something I can enjoy and mod a bit, so I'm sticking with the EVO or the WRX.

I plan on buying a brand new car if possible and would like to drive it year round on a daily basis.

My main concerns are:

Best bang for the buck?

Weaknesses in both? (Like our differential, for example)

If you're gonna tell me to use the "search" feature, I have. I would just like some new info and more opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:18 PM

03 cobra

better looking IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO
very easy to mod

only thing i dont like about the cobra is that it doesnt come with HIDs
Old 10-18-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WRX. I don't trust Mitsubishi - their future as a company is foggy at this point, and they aren't known for making the most reliable cars. The WRX is a much nicer car - more livable I think.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:44 AM

Thanks guys. Anyone else?

I'd like the cobra, but then I'd get lumped in with the sea of Mustang owners in southern IN and that's the last thing I need. Love the car, hate the crowd. (The crowd in MY AREA mind you. Everyone else seems pretty cool.)

Anyone heard of any reliablilty issues with the STI?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:49 AM

STi has been very reliable I hear, very good car and a strong Tranny, not many weak points on the STi, just don't get the regular WRX, then you have to be careful about the weak tranny it has. Mitsubishi's reliablity has not always been the best, subaru is not as good as a honda, but still it's a great car. Test drive both and then decide which one would fit you better.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:23 AM

No problems with my EVO at 25k miles. It's been a great car. If you're considering modifing the car then the EVO gives you a good step up on the WRX. I'm not saying that there isn't an aftermarket for the WRX but that the EVO comes with a good deal more power out of the box.

Also, I wouldn't judge the EVO's reliability on the rest of Mitsu's product line. I believe that it's the only Mitsu car that is built in Japan and shipped over here. I have a bit more faith in the assembly lines in Japan then the US ones. It's also been around for a few years with very minimal changes...so most of the major components have already had the bug worked out.

The one problem that people are quick to point out is the clutch but recently there have been a few threads to finally prove that this is driver related. Myself and many others that received the first batch of EVO's are getting up and over 30k miles on the stock clutch with no problems.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The WRX does get a better gas mileage than the EVO and the STI. And it's also approximately $1000 cheaper on insurance. Easy to mod too, and a daily driving suspension. But if money is not an issue, go with the STI. and if you're going to get an EVO, get the MR.

I don't know if I made it easier for you or harder haha.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:20 PM

The reviews say the EVO is the better car, in terms of performance.

But I like the '05 STI. The interior looks sweet.

IMO if your are going to ralley the car, get the EVO. For every-day driving I would buy the STI.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:39 AM

Sit in both, try test driving if you can. I actually prefer the interior of the STi and the exterior of the EVO. Regular WRX isn't all that anymore. I rather pay a little more for the STi. Between the EVO and STi, EVO is much easier/cheaper to mod and you'll get more power. But I don't think I want to mod mine that much, so I'm leaning toward the STi. If I don't get a house soon, I'm just gonna get the C6.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:54 AM

imo if your looking for something similar I would buy a used s4 or m3, i dont trust mitsu's reliability, and when I test drove the base wrx i was very unimpressed. It felt cheep/uninspiring. Also the STI looks tacky/ricey imo. Not to start any flame wars but with the big wing and what not it reminds me of a high school parking lot ....if your looking to spend 30even then an 02 S4 would give you the same as the two cars you mentioned with much better aesthetics. I know you said you wanted a new car but the certified does last til 100K. Just another option
just my 02

GL

Justin

Quick Reply: Buying a new car: EVO or WRX?