Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C4 Corvette: anyone had one?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Corvette: anyone had one?

For some strange reason, I want to buy a C4 Corvette. Preferably one of the later ones with the LT-1/LT-4. (no ZR-1)

Don't know why. I know that the C5 is a vastly superior chassis and the LS1 is a much newer tech engine. I guess that the C4 was one of my dream cars when I was growing up, and now that they can be had all day long for sub-10K, in good condition with a 6-speed (but high miles), I'm thinking about picking one up as a toy, getting it out of my system, and then selling it for roughly even money.

Anyone want to talk me out of this?

--michael
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

i think they look good, there is a guy selling his ZR1 here for around 25k or trade for a camper lol not sure what the going prices for them are but it looks nice.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like fun, actually. Go for it!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM

I had the EXACT same thought a few years ago, but I was set on a garage queen LT4. I'm 33, so the Corvette was going through a resurgence with the LT1 and ZR1 right around the time I got my driver's license ('92). I also think the C4 is a better-looking car than the C5. But...then I drove one. I drove a relatively low mile '96 LT4, which I believe were all manuals. The car didn't feel all that fast, and the chassis was dreadful. From what I understand, the platform has all the rigidity of overcooked spaghetti, so to compensate for that, the car has a really stiff suspension. Hitting bumps in that thing was painful. Not just the impact but also the flexing, creaking, and groaning. The packaging also sucks. The door sill is really high, the footwells are tight, and the cowl high. I won't mention anything about the interior, since you know what to expect with early '90s GM. It seems like a cool car to own in theory, but I couldn't imagine enjoying driving it very much.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

If your not too picky about paint, then dont mind me. but if you are make sure the one you buy doesnt have any buffer burn on the edges of the panels. C4's are notorious for having extremely thin paint on the ends. But otherwise, if you can find one that meets your needs, I say GO FOR IT. Theres not much to lose if you can sell with little loss.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Yes, the 96 LT4 was only available with a manual transmission.

I've driven a few C4s in the last few weeks. Both coupes and convertibles, manuals and automatics. Definitely want a manual, even though the automatic isn't _that_ bad with that big low-revving V8.

The chassis IS dreadful, especially the convertible, but somehow that adds to the "vintage feel". (gosh, the C4 is getting old, which means I'm getting old...) I like the feeling of getting in past that high sill, settling into the seat and the low position, and having this huge cockpit around you. Firing up that big V8 and pulling away...

I almost pulled the trigger on a 94 convertible last weekend, torch red (my favorite color for a Vette) with black interior, 6-speed, 93K miles. Thought I could make some money on it--it was a wholesaler looking to turn a car fast. However, it had lots of intermittent electrical issues (no flood damage evident, though) and, when you got into 6th gear on the highway and put your foot down, the whole car started juddering back and forth. Clutch? Engine problems? I didn't want to find out, so I passed. Sure was a pretty car, though.

--michael

I always preferred the generation before that... but I guess, for 10k, you can't go terribly wrong.

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Mar 19 2009, 01:13 PM
If your not too picky about paint, then dont mind me. but if you are make sure the one you buy doesnt have any buffer burn on the edges of the panels. C4's are notorious for having extremely thin paint on the ends. But otherwise, if you can find one that meets your needs, I say GO FOR IT. Theres not much to lose if you can sell with little loss.
Good info, didn't know that. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22844180119076
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 430 Likes on 302 Posts

A friend had the same idea. He bought a high miler though. It had about 120k on it and the car was horrible. The interior just plain sucks, and the engine blew about a month after he bought it and he sold it broken.

Does that mean the previous owner knew it was going bad and got rid of it? Dunno. All I know is that the one he had was not made very well and it was not very much fun to drive. A garage queen is maybe a whole different thing. But I rememebr I thought they were cool and when he told me he bought it I thought "Cool, can't wait to see it." When I drove it and sat in the thing my thought changed to, "yuck."

If you like it cool, but if you are into Vette culture, the extra money on a used C5 gets you a car light years ahead in terms of value, perfomance and build quality.

Thats just my worthless opinion.

Quick Reply: C4 Corvette: anyone had one?