Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C6 TOP GEAR VIDEO

Old 08-02-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I'd like to see England build a F-22 Raptor, Sea Wolf Class Sub, Space Shuttle, Nimitz Class carrier or send men to the moon or robots to mars. Of course I won't see them do that because they can't"

Ouch! England is a small country of a similar area to the state of california. It does not have the vast financial wealth of the USA to build the biggest and best Submarines and Jets but it still does build them. Thatcher saw to that.

It does however build exceedingly good cars regardless of who owns the purse strings. Who cares who pulls the purse strings ? GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler are vast multinationals. If it wasn't for SUV and truck sales the US car industry would also be dead. How many US vehicles actually get exported in Vast numbers outside of the USA ?

Money is the big problem in the UK not techical expertise or design flair. It also has very frank motoring journalists that are not afraid to point out a cars shortcomings. The US seems to be really hung up on 1/4 mile times which to the average UK driver is meaningless.

I know there is a lot of BS in TOP gear and thats the kind of Sarcastic humour Brits find funny. Its an entertainment show not "Consumer guide.

wasn't that an NSX-R ?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:53 PM

I think Top Gear is hilarious! Besides, nobody is saying these are scientific tests. And who cares which car is faster on that given day with that given driver?

It's just like the street encounter guys who say "I smoked an Enzo and I know he was tryin because I heard his engine rev." It doesn't mean much. It's not a real test that you can base any real opinion on. Why be so defensive and/or opinionated with such limited data. Who believes an Enzo sucks because someone thought he ran one and it meant something?!

Besides, I'd rather drive a slower car and smoke a car that should be faster... because I know the driver sucks and not the car...
Old 08-02-2004, 06:26 PM

You guys got to check out that site! if your mad about them bashing on american cars take a quick look at the GT-40 video. they praise the car for being faster then the slr for a quarter of the price!! I lived in england for 5 years and trust me, they wouldnt mind having a v8 muscle car over a i4 fiat.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:26 PM

Old 08-02-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sumo_elan,Aug 2 2004, 04:18 PM

Ouch! England is a small country of a similar area to the state of california. It does not have the vast financial wealth of the USA to build the biggest and best Submarines and Jets but it still does build them. Thatcher saw to that.

It does however build exceedingly good cars regardless of who owns the purse strings. Who cares who pulls the purse strings ? GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler are vast multinationals. If it wasn't for SUV and truck sales the US car industry would also be dead. How many US vehicles actually get exported in Vast numbers outside of the USA ?

Money is the big problem in the UK not techical expertise or design flair. It also has very frank motoring journalists that are not afraid to point out a cars shortcomings. The US seems to be really hung up on 1/4 mile times which to the average UK driver is meaningless.

I know there is a lot of BS in TOP gear and thats the kind of Sarcastic humour Brits find funny. Its an entertainment show not "Consumer guide.

wasn't that an NSX-R ?
Isn't California's economy about twice that of England's?

Anyway, the Brit press always is always fawning over like the TVR even though it could never be sold here for numerous safety requirements.

Unburden the Vette of airbags and side impact beams and assorted other safety nazi stupidity and you probably shed a couple hundred pounds and have a more interesting race.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:58 PM

I drove a C6 last Friday and let me tell you how bad ass it is. It was an auto, but it still was a blast to drive. There is no way that a NSX could keep up with it. That car is silly fast and the smart entry is also a nice touch.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:21 PM
mx5

Originally Posted by sumo_elan,Aug 2 2004, 04:18 PM
wasn't that an NSX-R ?
Yup the car in the video which outaccelerated the C6 is NSX Type R
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 PM

How come the TVR driver didn't put on his blinker at the end of the race?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mx5,Aug 2 2004, 07:21 PM
Yup the car in the video which outaccelerated the C6 is NSX Type R
where do they state in the video that is an NSX-R?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 PM

Bleh, after a few years of watching Top Gear vids they are all starting to look the same... A few minutes worth of half-witted jokes and then Jeremy's fat pasty mulleted ass trying to take $SPORTSCAR in a power slide around an airstrip, from twenty different angles, then hand it over to test driver. Yawn.

But I don't know why you guys are up in arms about their review - I don't think it treated the C6 so unfairly. One thing they don't "get" in Europe is that an American sports car can be taken around the track at ridiculous speed, cruise the strip at 10 mph, travel thousands of miles on a cross-country beer run, load up with groceries, and burn out tires at stoplights, doing all of that reliably, comfortably, without looking like an R/C Pro-Am car, and at a price point that a manual laborer can afford, and what is their rebuke to this litany of virtues - leaf springs. LOL.

Quick Reply: C6 TOP GEAR VIDEO