Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C6 v Cayman S (or non-S)

Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure (for me) the C6 or the Z06 would be insane, I'm not Fangio (what I mean is easier to get in trouble with extra power). In that sense the CS would probably be fine and dandy for street use, wouldn't mind a bit extra pep with the CS thats not what I mean, for the money (IMO) the 295 hp would be nice in the non-S (when the Z M-Coupe has 300+hp for $50K etc.. just saying, but wait a bit and I suspect we will see small HP bumps from time to time. Just like the base Boxster has got +45hp (?) over the past 7 years...

The Z06 is interesting b/c it's so darn fast, it would be worth owning just b/c from time to time you may be able to safely let her rip. We're talking speed near Enzo or CGT (etc..) for 20% of the price. I imagine it's not a bad thing to have either the base Vett or the Z06, it's not like I'm saying it wouldn't be fun..but probably for me I'd be backing off all the time.

Heck even my weak-ish S2000 can cause anxiety especially from the law just yesterday on the HW I did 93 mph for a second and around the bend I see a cop thankfully already giving somebody else a ticket (in a corvette no less) and two miles up another car is getting a ticket. What the heck is happening in the world? With law enforcement like this do I want a car that can do 3x the speed limit?

I co-worker of mine just sold his 996 TT to get a S4 (not even a RS4), he said the turbo was fun for a while but he's over it. He finds that he didn't need 400+hp for the DD.

BTW this is for me and my co-workers we aren't track junkies. We drive around on surface roads, we don't mind a bit of spirited driving, but it's not about seeing 90mph on a back road, thats just not safe any way. With basic cars like the Caman or CS able to carve up a back road just as well as a Vette (if absolute speed doesn't matter just fun driving). So the only thing you are getting 400hp or 500hp is for acceleration. Not saying thats bad, but its just one aspect of a car.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rai, I understand exactly what you're saying. I just don't want you to look at a 500hp Z06 Vette as a bunch of power and awesome acceleration. Hence my comment about seeing them on the Dragon. These car's can turn with the best of them. I look at a Z06 as an uber powerful S2000. It has awesome handling and tons of grip. It can basicly do everything an S2000 can about about twice the speed. That's what I find so appealing about them. I agree that it is really to much car for the streets, but the performance on the track is unbelievable. Catching and passing Enzos/CGTs/ 997TT's and so on is definetly and experience I'd like to have one day.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driven the regular C6 vettes on 2 occasions. These cars are fast, but there is simply no magic to them. There is a lot of interesting technology in them, but you don't feel there is a lot of workmanship in them. That being said I think the C6 is a darn nice car, and I'd love to drive the Z06.

I have a Porsche Cayman S, the car is very fast, handles like a dream, and feels special to me.

The obvious progression for a S2K enthusiast is probably the Cayman S in my mind.

The obvious progression for a Z28/Mustang GT enthusiast is probably the Corvette.

If you are an automobile enthusiast you have to make your mind what you enjoy about a particular car, and make your decision yourself.

I'm also the kind of guy who if spending $400k on a house would choose the smaller, but more unique and better quality home, over a larger, more generic, house built on more of a budget. I think the same analogy can apply to cars. Who is right, who is wrong, that is up to you.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:10 PM

I often think about the next car that will find it's way into my garage, and for an S2000 replacement, the Cayman S and C6 Z51 are the only two current options (other than possibly another S) for me.

No way I could feel good about buying a base Cayman, that's way too much $$$ for the performance and I'd have regret everytime I saw an S. OTOH, the Z06 is way more car than I am driver, and it would feel caged up in local traffic conditions. I'd be perfectly satisfied w/ 400hp, and having a targa top would be a nice benefit.

If they were equivalently priced, I'd go for the slower Cayman S in a heartbeat...but I can get a Vette @ GM Supplier pricing, which makes it about $15-$20K cheaper than a CS equipped the way I'd like it (mainly just a few basics like PASM, Sport Chrono, leather seating, Bose, etc.).

Since I'm still quite satisfied w/ the S2000, my current thought for a next step is to consider replacing the wife's Jetta w/ a 335i sedan. Then we'd have a hardcore track/backroads car, and a fun, practical car for more mundane tasks.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Dec 10 2006, 05:10 PM
Since I'm still quite satisfied w/ the S2000, my current thought for a next step is to consider replacing the wife's Jetta w/ a 335i sedan. Then we'd have a hardcore track/backroads car, and a fun, practical car for more mundane tasks.

I can't think of getting rid of the S2000 (yet), also the 335i (coupe) looks hella nice to me. In some ways I like it better than the e46 M3 thats saying a lot.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove a 335 coupe and can't get it out of my mind. IMHO, I think it's the perfect daily driver. Doesn't have the brutality of the S2000 and I wouldn't trade my car for it... but have been trying to think of scenarios to add another vehicle. Just can't justify adding a 4th car at this time.

Today was a nice sunny day and I was itching to drive my favorite twisties. Wife was home and her S4 has been cooped up with in-town commuting for her so I took her out on my favorite canyon run... in her S4. I drove it through and she drove it back.

The car is so smooth and quiet that it would creep up to ~90mph sometimes because of the lack of drama. I probably ran as fast or faster than I do in the Honda because of the extreme confidence-inspiring technology.

It was markedly less fun, but probably objectively faster (I'm on -1 sized snow tires on the Honda currently). With the engine screaming in the S2000 I keep the speed in check.

I'd rather drive the S4 on the Autobahn. But at US highway-legal speeds, the fun of my S2k is just right.

I think that'd be the case if I was in the market for CS vs C6. I'd opt for the CS. Very low mileage ones can be had for $54k. When the Honda dies, I'll probably buy a 3 year old CS for $40-45k... then hope a supercharger option comes out for that vehicle!

Old 12-10-2006, 11:48 PM

Chicos is right. the z06 and c6 can handle, but it doesn't feel like much and it certainly isn't fun like the s2k. the cayman S also handles well and gives a better feel. but no car besides the f430 gives a steering feel anything like the s2k. that's my opinion based on experience. i actually see "upgrading" to a cayman S as being a downgrade in fun.

ckit, im itching to hear more about the 335.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Former Moderator

For those who know me, you know I subscribe to the Rai school of thought on having multiple vehicles with differing niches.

The E46 M3 was always a little puzzling to me.
If I wanted something tossable I
Old 12-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Former Moderator

I'm kind of hoping the S2k lives forever. After a while I'll "need" (yeah right) a suitable grown-up car...

I figure in ~5 additional years my 02 S2k will only be worth $10-15k. I'd rather buy a lightly used 335i and keep the S2k for summer driving instead of trading it for a new 335.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=CKit,Dec 11 2006, 07:32 PM]
The E46 M3 was always a little puzzling to me.
If I wanted something tossable I

Quick Reply: C6 v Cayman S (or non-S)