Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C63 AMG

Old 06-09-2007, 05:28 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

MB does have manual cars. At least some of the 350 models have manual option - SLK 350, C 350. There are no manual AMG models, though.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can get plenty of manuals in Europe, if you choose to order an MB with one, but I guess it's one of those image things that have stayed, i.e. people choose it with an auto...

Maybe AMG doesn't like the idea of their "precious customers" having to change the clutch every 5000 miles because the +500hp/nm torque engines are too much for the clutch to handle.

And actually, with the new CLK63, you CAN disable the nanny aids completely with the push of a button. In some other models, you can do this by using a special button combo (works on my SLK55). But the CLK is the first AMG that completely deactivates the aid through a simple button.

I'd love to see AMG be a bit more like M and let people be in control of their cars. I'd love to see manuals in them as well, but as MB has so often demonstrated, they cater for a different crowd. Not that it's all bad, after all, if AMG isn't your thing, there's always Audi's RS, BMW's M, and many other cars you can buy instead.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to hear VERY cool sounds, go to the AMG website and play the intro video. Guaranteed seductive growling.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by s2kforlife,Jun 9 2007, 12:41 AM
i'm still goin to put my money on the bimmer. Can any1 explain to me why MB doesnt have any manual cars?
M-B doesn't do nearly as many manual-tranny cars as BMW or Audi because they built their heritage on luxury and prestige. Granted they do have some performance significance in their past, but M-B cars are known worldwide as being only one rung south of a Rolls or Bentley. They've been the favorite of leaders, politicians and dictators stretching back to the 1930s, if not farther. The age of their customers is also likely to be much higher than other brands. They also have over time built a name for safety, made many technological advances, and driven many styling movements.

Basically, their current engine reliability notwithstanding, M-B has a serious rep to maintain, and manual trannies really affect that. Thus, their image is founded in a sense of luxury and air of importance. Manual trannies are not exactly luxurious, and they can make a car behave in a very uncouth manner if operated poorly. A M-B owner just wants the car to go, and go well. He's not driving his car wearing his driving gloves and shoes. Such things are for Ferraris.

BMW is distinctly different, and while still luxurious, is definitely the baddest boy amongst the German brands. Audi plays the middle ground between the two.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a big fan. What's the price?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Jun 9 2007, 06:48 PM
M-B doesn't do nearly as many manual-tranny cars as BMW or Audi because they built their heritage on luxury and prestige. Granted they do have some performance significance in their past, but M-B cars are known worldwide as being only one rung south of a Rolls or Bentley. They've been the favorite of leaders, politicians and dictators stretching back to the 1930s, if not farther. The age of their customers is also likely to be much higher than other brands. They also have over time built a name for safety, made many technological advances, and driven many styling movements.

Basically, their current engine reliability notwithstanding, M-B has a serious rep to maintain, and manual trannies really affect that. Thus, their image is founded in a sense of luxury and air of importance. Manual trannies are not exactly luxurious, and they can make a car behave in a very uncouth manner if operated poorly. A M-B owner just wants the car to go, and go well. He's not driving his car wearing his driving gloves and shoes. Such things are for Ferraris.

BMW is distinctly different, and while still luxurious, is definitely the baddest boy amongst the German brands. Audi plays the middle ground between the two.
Good post.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Jun 9 2007, 05:48 PM
The age of their customers is also likely to be much higher than other brands.
This is also the reason most Corvettes sold are automatics.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Jun 9 2007, 03:48 PM

Extremely well said.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '08 C63 AMG is said to have a base price of around $60K. But I have heard a disturbing story in MB circles that its engine, while esentially the same as in the E 63, has been detuned to 450 hp from over 500. If true, that would piss me off, as I hate it when car makers purposely "handicap" a car model so it won't compete with a more expensive model.

But remember, it is a sedan and it won't handle like an s2k. No sedan does. Horror stories about MB reliability abound, but my '04 C 320 continues to be bullet-proof.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by dolebludger,Jun 10 2007, 02:59 PM
The '08 C63 AMG is said to have a base price of around $60K. But I have heard a disturbing story in MB circles that its engine, while esentially the same as in the E 63, has been detuned to 450 hp from over 500. If true, that would piss me off, as I hate it when car makers purposely "handicap" a car model so it won't compete with a more expensive model.

But remember, it is a sedan and it won't handle like an s2k. No sedan does. Horror stories about MB reliability abound, but my '04 C 320 continues to be bullet-proof.
Well be prepared to be pissed off, because that's already the case. Witness the lineup's power differences with the new AMG V8:

E63 - 507hp
S63 - 518hp
CLK63 - 475hp
CLS63 - 507hp
CL63 - 518hp
R63 - 503hp
ML63 - 507hp

The SLK and SL soldier on with the older 5.5 AMG V8 for now. There's not a terribly huge amount of variance between the power ratings, but the biggest hit comes if you're looking to get into the CLK version. I don't see the new C63 listed yet, so who knows on the power. Don't expect it to equal the E or S-classes though. High-end marque or not, there's still a pecking order to be maintained, and the S-class will always get top billing.