Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C7 Corvette Stingray: The Review

Old 10-16-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blkwidow
Damn so serious
I hate generalizations, its my burden. #firstworldproblems
Old 10-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1413403977' post='23370710
Yes I am aware of what you wrote and what trim your car is - are you offended I asked a question to garner what to expect from different trim levels? No track-pack = poor for track use? Is that what you're telling me?

I was genuinely curious. The later model C6 Z06 is very trackworthy out of the box in stock form needing very little. I was curious to see if the C7 is similar, as I have not heard anything conclusive.
The car without the track pack is less good at the track, yes, I think that conclusion is fairly obvious. The Z06 is a track package much like the Z51 is, in this case, the difference between the base model and the Z51 are much smaller because all new Corvettes share the same aluminum frame and engine. Smaller difference in performance = smaller difference in price.

You were trying to conclude that C7s in stock form are not good for the track based on the experience of one person who drove their non track trim C7 on a casual track day. What I am telling you is that it would be foolish to make that assumption. If you intended on tracking your C7 regularly it would be silly to pass on the Z51 package, hence my disclaimer. At a price of $5,000 it includes:

Performance exhaust
Larger 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels
Dry sump oil system
Electronic Limited Slip Differential
Larger front brakes (13.6 inch vs. 12.6 inch)
Specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars
Differential and transmission cooling
Unique Aero Package that reduces lift for high-speed stability
Available Magnetic Selective Ride Control and Performance Traction Management
Slotted Brake Rotors
Performance Gear Ratios

We were driving the track clockwise and the laps were un-timed.
I love my Z51 option!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:14 PM

Yes, all seats are leather, the 3LT adds suede to them, its pretty damn classy. I don't have any shots but I can take some.
No, 3LT adds Napa leather and full leather coverage on the dash and door panels. my 3LT Kalahari has no suede.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1403285053' post='23211379
Yes, all seats are leather, the 3LT adds suede to them, its pretty damn classy. I don't have any shots but I can take some.
No, 3LT adds Napa leather and full leather coverage on the dash and door panels. my 3LT Kalahari has no suede.

Ah, I guess suede becomes available but is not mandatory
Old 10-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1407863421' post='23283651
[quote name='Marioshi' timestamp='1407859125' post='23283511']
Here are a couple shots from our track day at Streets of Willows in Rosamond, CA. We had a great time with some fellow S2Ki members and others. Put about 135 track miles on the C7 in addition to 800 miles getting to and from, and I would do it again! Freeway MPG was 28 there and back, track MPG was 11.8 including driving to and from. We got about 2.5 hours of track time which was plenty.
awesome! Putting it to good use!

How'd it do in the heat? any limp mode issues?
Towards the end of the day in 100 degree ambient temps it would display "shift up now, engine protection mode enabled" when coming out of "the bowl" which is a bummer because that is the highest speed section. I almost wonder if it wasn't the G-force from the banked turn causing the sensor to run hot for moment. Coolant temperature was pretty steady 220-230 but oil temps ran pretty high (280 I think). I have noticed that even in spirited driving though. Taking the straight at moderate speed in 4th seemed to alleviate the issue so I didn't think much of it.

We never really planned to track it (hence the non-z51 trim) but never the less, I was impressed with it and starting to contemplate a few upgrades

UPDATE: apparently it was not a temperature issue but an oil starvation issue. The car is programmed to reduce power in a possible oil starvation situation, this probably has to do with non-z51's lacking a dry sump.
[/quote]

It does. The dry sump the real deal.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Quick Update on the Corvette. Hadn't driven her for a while. The S2000 project car is on jack-stands at the house and the C7 is living in a garage a few blocks away. We took her up to Apple Hill yesterday (for non-norcal people, Apple Hill is a small apple growing region in the Sierra Nevada foothills, apple pie, apple donuts, apple cider, apple crisp, you get the picture).

I was getting bummed about the Corvette last week, thinking about how expensive it was, and wondering if it was really worth it to own a car that was capable of such intense but inaccessible performance when used primarily on the street. Then we took it on a drive (about an hour each way, mostly highway) and it reminded me that getting the Corvette was about more than just buying the ultimate performance car. Its a nice car to drive, period. Even when you are not hooning it, it accelerates so effortlessly and smooth. Its quiet, it has a nice stereo (say what you will, it sounds nice to me), its plenty soft even though we didn't get the magnetic ride control, the A/C blows nice and cold, and the roof comes off for perfect autumn days like yesterday. We got multiple "nice car" compliments as well as some guys standing around looking at it and talking about it. Everyone seems to enjoy seeing this car, and the Night Race Blue color looks its best in the direct sunlight, I can't think of any real complaints I have about it at this point and the fact that we put 9000 miles on it in just over 6 months is a testament to how much we like it.

I am enjoying wrenching/driving on the S2000 right now but I am glad I have the Corvette to drive as well, the s2000 feels slow as hell.

13,000+ for me and I completely agree with everything you say. It's my daily driver and I love it.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Raptor' timestamp='1414008889' post='23379130
[quote name='Marioshi' timestamp='1403285053' post='23211379']

Ah, I guess suede becomes available but is not mandatory
[/quote]

I don't like it -- at all! Maybe that's just me.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if there is a maximum g-level allowed for the wet sump cars before it begins generating messages?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr
I wonder if there is a maximum g-level allowed for the wet sump cars before it begins generating messages?
I would be curious to know as well. That banked turn definitely generates some G forces for an extended period. It could be based on oil pressure too though...
Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1413238034' post='23368128
Quick Update on the Corvette. Hadn't driven her for a while. The S2000 project car is on jack-stands at the house and the C7 is living in a garage a few blocks away. We took her up to Apple Hill yesterday (for non-norcal people, Apple Hill is a small apple growing region in the Sierra Nevada foothills, apple pie, apple donuts, apple cider, apple crisp, you get the picture).

I was getting bummed about the Corvette last week, thinking about how expensive it was, and wondering if it was really worth it to own a car that was capable of such intense but inaccessible performance when used primarily on the street. Then we took it on a drive (about an hour each way, mostly highway) and it reminded me that getting the Corvette was about more than just buying the ultimate performance car. Its a nice car to drive, period. Even when you are not hooning it, it accelerates so effortlessly and smooth. Its quiet, it has a nice stereo (say what you will, it sounds nice to me), its plenty soft even though we didn't get the magnetic ride control, the A/C blows nice and cold, and the roof comes off for perfect autumn days like yesterday. We got multiple "nice car" compliments as well as some guys standing around looking at it and talking about it. Everyone seems to enjoy seeing this car, and the Night Race Blue color looks its best in the direct sunlight, I can't think of any real complaints I have about it at this point and the fact that we put 9000 miles on it in just over 6 months is a testament to how much we like it.

I am enjoying wrenching/driving on the S2000 right now but I am glad I have the Corvette to drive as well, the s2000 feels slow as hell.

13,000+ for me and I completely agree with everything you say. It's my daily driver and I love it.
George, since I'll be getting Big Red in your will, can you keep miles low?

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Stingray: The Review