Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C7 Vette

Old 11-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1321892718' post='21174237
[quote name='sparrow' timestamp='1321892245' post='21174204']
Gymkata you are correct. When I first sat in a 997 I thought it was MUCH smaller than the vette.
I think the Vette feels big because you feel like you sit low in the car and the corners are hard to see. I wounder if the 911 has a higher hip position.
Correct. I could not see the ends of the vette as well as I could the 997. The 997 Felt sort of like my old civic in the regard that I could parallel park it with only the central rear view mirror. In the vette, not so much. Granted I did not spend much time with either car but these were the initial impressions.
[/quote]

For that really can't see the corners feel you should try hoping into a modern Formula car. You sit very low in many of them and it's surprising just how hard it is to see things right around the car. Of course when you are on the track if you see it right in front of the tire you have run over it by the time you do anything.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how we use the NSX as the model to which we compare the vette. Even an s2k looks large compared to an NSX.

The NSX is an old model that isn't made any more. If we really want an actual comparison, lets take another car that is a vette competitor that is still made. This is like saying the new toyota camry is large compared to all of its competition because it is so much bigger than a 1990 civic.

I will concede that the vette is not the smallest car in its class, and that it does feel large to drive, but it is by no means huge.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by luder_5555
I like how we use the NSX as the model to which we compare the vette. Even an s2k looks large compared to an NSX.

The NSX is an old model that isn't made any more. If we really want an actual comparison, lets take another car that is a vette competitor that is still made. This is like saying the new toyota camry is large compared to all of its competition because it is so much bigger than a 1990 civic.

Last I checked the c6 and the nsx did share a model year in which they were both produced. Therefore, opinion/argument invalid.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow
Gymkata you are correct. When I first sat in a 997 I thought it was MUCH smaller than the vette.
"Make a big car feel much smaller." It is possible. I'm always surprised to see what an inch or even a half an inch can do if enough thought is put into it.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Honestly, I love everything about the car except for the shifter (easy fix) and when the C7 comes out I'm gonna' be all over an LS3 C6.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555

I will concede that the vette is not the smallest car in its class, and that it does feel large to drive, but it is by no means huge.

Thank you. The last time I parked my Miata next to an NSX I was shocked at how much lower the NSX's hoodline was than my Miata. My Miata looked pretty big next to the NSX.

Again, just because there are some cars that are slightly smaller than the Corvette, that doesn't mean that the Corvette is not a small car.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Last I checked the c6 and the nsx did share a model year in which they were both produced. Therefore, opinion/argument invalid.
Except that at the time they were both in production, the NSX was at the end of it's life, and the C6 was just beginning. The NSX had been created years before. I will say that if you wanted to call the c6 fast 7 years ago, I will almost agree with you. However 7 years later, it is one of the smaller and lighter cars in its class. Could it be smaller and lighter? yes. Would it be even better? yes. Is it necessary? no.

I just think that it is silly to use a car that hasn't been made in 7 yeas as the benchmark for what a middle to upper market sports car should be. Also, there is a huge power discreptancy between the two. The base LS3 vette makes what, almost 200ft/lbs more torque than the NSX did. So extra beef in the drivetrain, extra chassis strength, ect. I could see that making up the extra 300 or so pounds.

I would love to see a sub 3000lbs vette, but I doubt that we will.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM

The only problem with the Corvette is that it is designed to generate track numbers as its first priority. Comfort, interior quality and ride are all a distant second. Since nobody pays me to drive fast around a track, track times are not my first priority and since the car is really overkill for any public road I have ever driven on, I can't see buying one. Maybe if they put some money into the interior and ride and stopped trying to create a track car I'd consider one.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 AM

^ Have you ever even ridden in one? A base c6 or one with the mag ride set to soft will have a much smoother and softer ride than anything that comes close to it on a track. The dampers are fairly compromised from a track perspective. The first bit of travel is very soft.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM

I guess I rode/drove a c6 3 or so years ago, maybe they didn't have the mag ride thing because I remember it reminding me of something too severe for everyday. My old corvette rides so freaking hard I can feel the paint on the road so maybe I was hoping for more. I didn't remember the seats being so bad, but I do remember it didn't 'feel' like what it costs even though it really doesn't cost that much.

Maybe I'll revisit them when my Audi has to go in a few years.

Quick Reply: C7 Vette