Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cadillac ATS-V wants to kill BMW M3/M4

Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 1,111 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
The LF3 engine in the CTS V Sport made like 70whp+ and 80wtq+ with just a tune. The LF4 should be even better.

Numbers are kinda low, me thinks.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:16 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Given that the ATS sedan outhandles the 3 series sedan I don't think anyone should dismiss this car as inferior to the M3 so easily. If it's base form is better than that's less work to make it superior to the M3. Also 18" wheels are as large as you want to go for performance. But I'm sure there is a 19" option for the poseurs.

Perhaps, but the regular 3 series comes with low rolling resistance run flats, and gets worlds better with just a regular set of tires. I kind of think its a push here. Not that the ATS could'nt match the M3, but it is not going to be a cake walk either.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I figured they would have stuck with a v8 for Caddy and left the turbo v6 for the Buick Grand National GNX
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars
Old 11-20-2014, 06:22 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Competition is good.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Competition is good.
Competition is great. This segment has a great choice of selections now... ATSV, C63, M3/M4, RC-F, RS5, GT350
Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1416430870' post='23411320
Given that the ATS sedan outhandles the 3 series sedan I don't think anyone should dismiss this car as inferior to the M3 so easily. If it's base form is better than that's less work to make it superior to the M3. Also 18" wheels are as large as you want to go for performance. But I'm sure there is a 19" option for the poseurs.

Perhaps, but the regular 3 series comes with low rolling resistance run flats, and gets worlds better with just a regular set of tires. I kind of think its a push here. Not that the ATS could'nt match the M3, but it is not going to be a cake walk either.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that most (maybe all?) of the car comparisons I read between the two used models equipped with the sport packages. Either way it's rare that a magazine would compare a sport equipped model against another without it.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1416496594' post='23412060
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1416430870' post='23411320']

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that most (maybe all?) of the car comparisons I read between the two used models equipped with the sport packages. Either way it's rare that a magazine would compare a sport equipped model against another without it.
[/quote]

Well I'd have to check my old brochure, but I have the sport package, and I get low rolling run flats, and the mags commented on how they would be better without them. There is a huge thread on Bimmerfest about how much better they get when you swap out the tires. For BMW, they still handle WELL on the crappy run flats, but it was all about CAFE and gas mileage. If I remember correctly, you can chose between all season and summer compounds, but you still get mileage biased run flats and they give you a big penalty.

But I really don't know what comes with the M cars. I would ASSUME they are niether low resistance or run flat, but I really don't know.

With that said, from everything I read, Caddy did not mess up on the handling on the regular ATS so this one should be quite good. The article gave demerits to Caddy for a funky interior, but I really liked it on the one I saw.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Vader.....I have a 2013 335i m sportline, does your electronics have a mind of their own? do you ever push a button and it does nothing or put your foot under the bumper and the trunk does not open, or your car go into limp mode???? just checking, as I remember you have the 328i. I also think my car was designed for the automatic rather than manual as it has allot of throttle run on sometimes...your thoughts?

YEs the runflats are expensive junk, hit a pot hole and find out! i got the warranty from tire american on all tires so it will not happen again...go figure on an expensive car with expensive tires?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Upcoming C63 S will significantly raise the performance bar in this segment. It's the only competitor with a twin-turbo V8.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by hirev
Vader.....I have a 2013 335i m sportline, does your electronics have a mind of their own? do you ever push a button and it does nothing or put your foot under the bumper and the trunk does not open, or your car go into limp mode???? just checking, as I remember you have the 328i. I also think my car was designed for the automatic rather than manual as it has allot of throttle run on sometimes...your thoughts?

YEs the runflats are expensive junk, hit a pot hole and find out! i got the warranty from tire american on all tires so it will not happen again...go figure on an expensive car with expensive tires?

You know I did not get the package with sat radio and the kick to open the trunk so I can't comment. I read on Bimmerfest that the trunk thing can be iffy.

I will say my only issue is after long cold spells when you finally get a warm day, the idle is lumpy as if the car is adjusting to something and then after a day that goes away. Otherwise I have about 11,000 on it and have never had a single issue (knock on wood) and the car has been flawless. Great in snow, and good mileage. I would love to ditch the runflats but not quite there yet. And I actually like the start stop feature during the summer months, but if you don't have the software update, the 2014's were much smoother than 2012-13 so get that done at your next service.

I love the car though, just wish it was paid off so I could look at used Porsches!

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS-V wants to kill BMW M3/M4