Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of rich 18 year olds seem to find their way to this forum.

Buy a bike that matches your skill level. Right now, and when you start riding, it's going to be roughly zero. Get a bike roughly designed for someone like you. I'll give you a clue, anything with more than one "r" at the end does not fit this description. Most with one "r" don't fit the description.

A lot of people don't seem to learn this little bit of information until it's too late. Un like your s2000 or any car, these bikes are not designed to protect you. The s2000 is 100 times easier to control and takes much less concentration yet you destroyed that machine. What would have happened if you were on a bike instead of a steel cage designed to protect you? A 600 SS [muchless a liter] would have probably had you going much faster than your s2000 was when it crashed.

On the street, often there is no coming back if you have a bad crash. Nobody comes back here and says "wish I would have started smaller, because my ego got me ran over by a tractor trailor". But you hear of plenty of newbs that supposedly started out "just fine". If you can afford all these expensive cars at 18 years old, you should be smart enough to listen to people that have already been around the block.

I ride a 06 zx6r and it's no easier to ride in the twisties than my literbike. All the gear in the world won't save you if you fly off your bike in to a tree or get ran over by a truck. Regardless, good job on the research and I wrote the sticky so if you have any ?'s feel free to ask me.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Hmm.. Okay, so I understand it's stupid. I was looking through the websites, and rwheelz was right, the ninja 250 looks like a nice bike. So I'll start there (when I'm ready!).

So what am I looking for as far as gear goes? Isn't there different ratings for helmets and pads and things? Also, I'm used to running full coverage insurance on my cars.. what should I be getting for a bike? 15/30? Comp?

Thanks everyone!

Aaron
Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Apr 27 2008, 03:28 PM
Lots of rich 18 year olds seem to find their way to this forum.

Buy a bike that matches your skill level. Right now, and when you start riding, it's going to be roughly zero. Get a bike roughly designed for someone like you. I'll give you a clue, anything with more than one "r" at the end does not fit this description. Most with one "r" don't fit the description.

A lot of people don't seem to learn this little bit of information until it's too late. Un like your s2000 or any car, these bikes are not designed to protect you. The s2000 is 100 times easier to control and takes much less concentration yet you destroyed that machine. What would have happened if you were on a bike instead of a steel cage designed to protect you? A 600 SS [muchless a liter] would have probably had you going much faster than your s2000 was when it crashed.

On the street, often there is no coming back if you have a bad crash. Nobody comes back here and says "wish I would have started smaller, because my ego got me ran over by a tractor trailor". But you hear of plenty of newbs that supposedly started out "just fine". If you can afford all these expensive cars at 18 years old, you should be smart enough to listen to people that have already been around the block.

I ride a 06 zx6r and it's no easier to ride in the twisties than my literbike. All the gear in the world won't save you if you fly off your bike in to a tree or get ran over by a truck. Regardless, good job on the research and I wrote the sticky so if you have any ?'s feel free to ask me.
Thanks for your input. But if you read what I first wrote, I'm not a typical "rich 18 year old". I've been on these forums since I was sixteen when I purchase my first S, yes, with my own money. I made the payments myself, and yes, I was stupid and crashed it. I have matured a lot though and am not nearly as stupid as I used to be. I'd rather be honest and up front now, instead of sitting in a hospital bed. sometimes it helps to hear someone tell you you're a retard for wanting to start on a 600 supersport .

Aaron
Old 04-27-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Apr 26 2008, 07:54 AM
Also, I was thinking about starting on a CBR F4 or 600RR.. I've read the sticky at the top of the page and it goes both ways with people saying start small, but also if you start small you have to re-learn on a bigger bike, so you might as well start with a "bigger" bike. And I hate to admit it, but image is also a factor for me, and I want a bike that "looks good" but I'd be more concerned about my safety. Is there a healthy medium for the two?

-Aaron
The part of the sticky that was "stickied" doesn't go both ways, I should know. If you want to listen to newbs who probably don't even have bikes over experienced riders that have been daily riding to work/school for many times longer than you've even had a DL, go ahead.

Image? No one can tell the difference between a liter and a 600cc. They look exactly the same. I've had riders walk right past my zx6r and say "nice 10". I've had people walk past my 954rr and they are clueless beyond "hey is that a cbr?".

I don't know who you are getting your "information" from, but I'd find another source. Go to sportbikes.net, they have a new rider's section. I'd suggest reading the posts before you say the kind of junk you wrote above [no offense, but it is what it is].

There are a whole slew of riders that "image" is their #1 reason for riding. They look a hell of a lot goofier than ninja 250 riders most of the time. I can tell a newb on a SS 10 light years away.

a) They drag their feet needlessly. Looks really bad.
b) They are visibly frightened/unsure of themselves when turning above 20mph;
c) They either wear ill-fitting mesh gear or no gear at all besides maybe a really expensive helmet [I wear arai and shoei so I'm not talking down about it].
d) Their bike is usually unmaintained to the point it's obvious/dangerous. When 'image' is the main reason, people seem to not notice their chains are rusted and need adjustment and their tires are bald in the center, of course.

I have friends that fit all of the above catagories that ride. I assure you they look a $hit load goofier than a guy on a 500r with good gear and good riding technique. Nothing is more embarrasing than a guy on a small displacement bike [especially non SS] destroying a newb on a 750/1000 SS.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=espelirS2K,Apr 27 2008, 02:33 PM] Thanks for your input. But if you read what I first wrote, I'm not a typical "rich 18 year old". I've been on these forums since I was sixteen when I purchase my first S, yes, with my own money.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:11 PM

Hmm.. so for my first set of gear people are saying to get a two piece suit. I'm the type of person who'd feel comfortable on dropping a grand-1500 on gear just to know I'm being protected as best as possible and the rest is up to my skill. So should I still get a two piece suit, or just invest in a nice jacket/pants? I'll most likely end up buying used, but i want to look at the new stuff, just to see what's out there.. as it makes sense I might f-up the stuff I get for my first bike.

Aaron
Old 04-27-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sahtt,Apr 27 2008, 05:46 PM
Everyone one here purchased their S2000 cash the day after they got their license and has zero issue paying 400 a month for insurance, I know. I know about 10-12 s2000 owners besides myself personally and not a single one under 21 y/o actually paid for their s2000 without a loan from their family of some kind, big help on a fat downpayment, etc., but everyone on the internet does, I get it. I couldn't care less, I'm happy for your success, it's just an interesting "trend" online.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Whatever gear you buy, make sure it is leather and preferably gear that has armour. Also, do not neglect boots and gloves. It does add up, but with mangled ankles you won't be driving around in your S2000 let alone riding! Every time I see someone riding in flip-flops I shudder. I don't understand how they don't burn their legs and ankles.

Don't let the squids talk you out of a smaller bike and into a 600. A 600cc sportbike of any brand is NOT a beginner's bike, plain and simple. I have watched an experienced rider lay waste to the entire pack on a Ninja 250 on a twisty mountain road here in Vermont. I plan to get into track days soon, and will be picking up a 250 for myself for this purpose. I started riding dirtbikes when I was 6 and am now 30. You don't have to go very fast to have fun on a bike. Eventually, I do want a 600cc bike for the track but I know it is not the place to start.

It sounds like you are being smart and mature about the whole thing, and I wish you the best of luck with getting started- you will not regret it!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on how well the new Ninja 250 would fit me. I'm about 6'2, 220lb. I was wondering because of my build, will I outgrow this bike fairly quick? I completely agree and would like to acquire experience on a smaller bike like the Ninja.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM

This has been asked 9 million times and you've probably read at least a few of those. Just about anyone can fit on a 250r. I'd get a used one if you are worried about 'out growing' it and I guess losing money due to depreciation.

I know people [again, you've probably read about them] that have been riding for as long as you've been alive that still enjoy riding a ninja 250, and they ride the 'ugly' ones. One of my favorite bikes I would love to own is a 125cc aprilia. cc's does not equal fun factor.

The 250 runs a mid 14 in the quarter mile, it's not a slow machine acceleration wise and the point is to learn how to turn/handle anyways.

Quick Reply: Can someone steer me in the right direction?