Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

CandD Boxster S Review

Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I really love the looks of the new Boxster. They just keep making it better and better. If I didn't not need a suggestion of a rear seat (for small dog), I would've bought a Boxster, Cayman or Z4 M.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1344436934' post='21921615
As to S2000 tires, a set of Dunlop Star Specs runs around $800 installed off Tire Rack and my rears last 20k easy. So any comparison there is just silly.
That's a very uncommon lifespan for rears. When I lived in Texas, my rear tires would last about 6000 miles and they were about $500 for the two of them (I was running the grippiest tires I could get for the street). I'd change out two sets of rears for every one set of fronts. Most people that drive moderately hard on the street will only get about 10000 miles on the rears, unless they're running harder rubber that isn't performance oriented.
JonBoy, what's your rear toe?
S2k rear tire wear is driven by toe-in. Unfortunately, a lot of people have subscribed to the "more is better" approach regarding rear toe...
In my experience, the AP1 handles better and more predictably with LESS rear toe, and tire life is HUGELY improved.
You will literally double rear tire life or *better* going from the max end of the spec AP1 rear toe (aka, "UK recommended" toe) of 0.67degrees total to the minimum end of the US-spec of 0.33 degrees total or less.

I'm at 19k miles on my rear RS-3s, running 0.2 degrees total rear toe-in.
When I ran 0.67degrees total, I only got ~8k or less. Once, the adjusters weren't adequately tightened and the toe adjusted itself to well over 1 degree total, and I killed a pair of rear tires (Dunlop SportMaxx TTs) in 3k miles! Handling was *atrocious* with that much toe, nearly undriveable in the wet.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1344439486' post='21921722
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1344436934' post='21921615']
As to S2000 tires, a set of Dunlop Star Specs runs around $800 installed off Tire Rack and my rears last 20k easy. So any comparison there is just silly.
That's a very uncommon lifespan for rears. When I lived in Texas, my rear tires would last about 6000 miles and they were about $500 for the two of them (I was running the grippiest tires I could get for the street). I'd change out two sets of rears for every one set of fronts. Most people that drive moderately hard on the street will only get about 10000 miles on the rears, unless they're running harder rubber that isn't performance oriented.
S2k rear tire wear is driven by toe-in. Unfortunately, a lot of people have subscribed to the "more is better" approach regarding rear toe...
In my experience, the AP1 handles better and more predictably with LESS rear toe, and tire life is HUGELY improved.
You will literally double rear tire life or *better* going from the max end of the spec AP1 rear toe (aka, "UK recommended" toe) of 0.67degrees total to the minimum end of the US-spec of 0.33 degrees total or less.

When I ran 0.67degrees total, I only got ~8k or less. Once, the adjusters weren't adequately tightened and the toe adjusted itself to well over 1 degree total, and I killed a pair of rear tires (Dunlop SportMaxx TTs) in 3k miles! Handling was *atrocious* with that much toe, nearly undriveable in the wet.
[/quote]

I don't know about later cars but my 00 with 02 suspension was a bear with not much rear toe in. I added a good bit more and it settled the rear down and you could get on the gas MUCH earlier on corner exit with that setup (this is for autocross only). I was getting 8-10K miles out of a pair of rear RE-01R's back in the day with that setup and won a few season series with the local s2000 club.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I don't know about later cars but my 00 with 02 suspension was a bear with not much rear toe in. I added a good bit more and it settled the rear down and you could get on the gas MUCH earlier on corner exit with that setup (this is for autocross only).
I don't autoX, no such thing as 1st gear corners for me. I started out running the max US-spec rear toe of 0.67degrees total. First event at Watkins Glen, I found the handling to be a lot more skittish/nervous mid-corner than my more track-oriented 240Z. After two track events the rears were TOAST, so I reduced rear toe to get livable tire wear. The shop gave me 0.15degrees TOTAL instead of the 0.15degrees per side I asked for the day before my next event. I was VERY concerned about the skittishness getting much much worse at the track, but lo and behold, the car behaved more linearly and less "weird". And street tires lasted over 2x as long and track tires more than 3x. And I got measurably better fuel economy (~28mpg vs. 26mpg for my highway commute). Win/win/win.

I've never had any issues whatsoever putting the s2k's meager power down from the apex in 2nd gear corners either with minimal rear or with a ton of rear toe.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

On that car, rear toe was set within the UK recommended spec and camber was also at max for the spec - definitely a fairly aggressive alignment. It was an AP2, though, so the general handling is less twitchy overall.

My current car is at about 14K with the standard US spec alignment but very lightly driven in comparison (was female owned, mostly highway miles, etc, etc). The tires are also less grippy (OEM Bridgestones) compared to what I'd normally run.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 AM

On that car, rear toe was set within the UK recommended spec and camber was also at max for the spec - definitely a fairly aggressive alignment.
The UK spec is almost certainly in error regarding rear toe-in. It gives a range of 0.67 degrees to 1.33 degrees (!!!) total rear toe.
They came out with their "recommended" spec of 0.67 to remain within their original *erroneous* range.
For me, 0.67 degrees total is still WAY on the high side. Anything more than that is just ridiculous.

A ton of rear toe-in is only "aggressive" in the sense that it it grinds the rear tires to death prematurely. In my experience, the car doesn't feel more "aggressive" set up that way, it just feels weird, and the car will dart around a lot more over undulations and in traction-challenged conditions.
The rear tires are constantly pushing against each other, so when one loses grip for an instant, the other pushes the back end of the car over.

It was an AP2, though, so the general handling is less twitchy overall.

My current car is at about 14K with the standard US spec alignment but very lightly driven in comparison (was female owned, mostly highway miles, etc, etc). The tires are also less grippy (OEM Bridgestones) compared to what I'd normally run.
UK spec (or more) camber is fine, but I'd encourage you to keep the rear toe minimized. That works best for me, anyway...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1344442739' post='21921916
I don't know about later cars but my 00 with 02 suspension was a bear with not much rear toe in. I added a good bit more and it settled the rear down and you could get on the gas MUCH earlier on corner exit with that setup (this is for autocross only).
I don't autoX, no such thing as 1st gear corners for me. I started out running the max US-spec rear toe of 0.67degrees total. First event at Watkins Glen, I found the handling to be a lot more skittish/nervous mid-corner than my more track-oriented 240Z. After two track events the rears were TOAST, so I reduced rear toe to get livable tire wear. The shop gave me 0.15degrees TOTAL instead of the 0.15degrees per side I asked for the day before my next event. I was VERY concerned about the skittishness getting much much worse at the track, but lo and behold, the car behaved more linearly and less "weird". And street tires lasted over 2x as long and track tires more than 3x. And I got measurably better fuel economy (~28mpg vs. 26mpg for my highway commute). Win/win/win.

I've never had any issues whatsoever putting the s2k's meager power down from the apex in 2nd gear corners either with minimal rear or with a ton of rear toe.
Track corners are much wider and give you more room to track out gradually. In that case I don't think you need more rear toe to calm down the car. In autocross the sudden/transitional motions can really upset the rear of the car and I promise more rear toe calms that down a ton.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1344443751' post='21921978
On that car, rear toe was set within the UK recommended spec and camber was also at max for the spec - definitely a fairly aggressive alignment.
The UK spec is almost certainly in error regarding rear toe-in. It gives a range of 0.67 degrees to 1.33 degrees (!!!) total rear toe.
They came out with their "recommended" spec of 0.67 to remain within their original *erroneous* range.
For me, 0.67 degrees total is still WAY on the high side. Anything more than that is just ridiculous.

A ton of rear toe-in is only "aggressive" in the sense that it it grinds the rear tires to death prematurely. In my experience, the car doesn't feel more "aggressive" set up that way, it just feels weird, and the car will dart around a lot more over undulations and in traction-challenged conditions.
The rear tires are constantly pushing against each other, so when one loses grip for an instant, the other pushes the back end of the car over.

It was an AP2, though, so the general handling is less twitchy overall.

UK spec (or more) camber is fine, but I'd encourage you to keep the rear toe minimized. That works best for me, anyway...
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1344436934' post='21921615

Beats me. I leave the VDC on when I'm driving on public streets but I still drive aggressively when safe and I attack on/exit ramps whenever given the chance. My Star Specs have just over 20,000 miles at the moment (which includes 4 track days driving near the limit of my ability) and the rears are worn more than the fronts (been on the wear indicators for over a month now). My AP2 is a 2007 model and I run stock suspension settings. So if my tire life is longer than usual I don't know how to explain it.

Back to the OT...new Boxster looks sexy
Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too wanted one of these cars one day, but those tire prices are INSANE

Quick Reply: CandD Boxster S Review