Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car and Driver - how to drive without getting a ticket

Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Car and Driver - how to drive without getting a ticket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmG5OTgZ4DA
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One tip they forgot, this is useful if a LEO is approaching from behind day/night, or you recorgnize a shouldered LEO using radar up ahead during night time:

If you're already speeding, say 85, and you notice said officer; DO NOT USE YOUR BRAKES. Simply let off the gas. Whether it's from the front at night, or from the rear any time of the day, nothing says "Oh shit I've got something to hide from this officer" like the brake light light bloom. If they caught you, then you're screwed anyway, but nothing says you've been speeding like blatantly slowing down. Hide that shit.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I pull up a little on the e-brake, this way you slow down but the cop doesn't see your nose dive...which is clear indication of you braking
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if you do get pulled over, take your keys out and throw them on the dash.

A little proactive goodwill goes a LONG way.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

In Before Kyushin.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8

Turn interior lights on, hands on the wheel, ask for permission to take them off when they request documents, always use sir/maam/officer. I've been pulled over 7 times since owning the S, only two of them resulted in an infraction (one was ashing out of the window back when I smoked), and each time I definitely was "breaking the law".

A little common courtesy can go a long way.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My favorite is to just drive in the right lane and use good passing practices, just like Csaba stated.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1366045172' post='22475049

Turn interior lights on, hands on the wheel, ask for permission to take them off when they request documents, always use sir/maam/officer. A little common courtesy can go a long way.
Great advice. Anything you can do to make the task of walking up to a stopped car, especially at night, safer and easier will go a long way.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr
Great advice. Anything you can do to make the task of walking up to a stopped car, especially at night, safer and easier will go a long way.
It's really easy to hate cops, and think they're all a bunch of quota-meeting, ticket giving revenue agents (and I'm not saying whether they are or aren't), but if you turn on the news on nearly any day, there's a story about a cop being shot at during a traffic stop, nearly ran over, chases starting when the cop pulls over, etc.. Any signal that you can give them that you're NOT about to put their life on the line, quickly aides your chances in either getting away clean or getting away with a much lesser infraction (i.e. 1/2 of my tickets was written for doing 75 on the freeway; he clocked me doing 89, and he sourced my courtesy and politeness as the sole reason he was only writing me for 75).
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1366045172' post='22475049

Turn interior lights on, hands on the wheel, ask for permission to take them off when they request documents, always use sir/maam/officer. I've been pulled over 7 times since owning the S, only two of them resulted in an infraction (one was ashing out of the window back when I smoked), and each time I definitely was "breaking the law".

A little common courtesy can go a long way.
And if you are in your S, tell the officer that you have to reach around behind you and unlatch the gloveboxe/secret compartment-otherwise, he may take that movement as a threat.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver - how to drive without getting a ticket