Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Carmageddon

Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednine,Dec 4 2008, 07:52 AM
By your logic you would never buy Japanese then.
Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember "Jap crap?' Honda's, Toyota's and Datsun's from the late 60's and early 70's which rusted terribly and were considered unreliable.

Your letting others determine your choices and I think that is part of the problem the big 3 are having, perception.
i'm not saying that the Big 3's reputation is my reason for not buying their product. i actually think they have come around and are a lot better than people give them credit for. i personally, however, have very little interest in any of their products (other than Corvette or Viper) because they don't appeal me. i'm much more interested in products from Honda, Subaru, Nissan, etc for various reason.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We won't lose all three. Right now I'm thinking it'd be okay if Chrysler died quickly. The other two would pick up "domestic" business, they'd get a wake-up call, and the auto supplier base would be least impacted (least production now).
Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wills2k106,Dec 3 2008, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't trust Nardelli with $7 let alone $7 billion, he couldn't run a successful company at Home Depot. Why Cerburus called him off the bench is beyond me.
Why do you say that?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone should realize that the global auto industry isn't a fair playground.

Japan heavily subsidizes it's auto industry through tax and exchange rate policies, domestic used car regulations, government directed bank lending and by not allowing foreign cars to be mass marketed in Japan. Not to mention a manufacturing oriented culture. All of those are direct subsidies and allow Japan to sell cars with substantially greater content, especially engineering content then American auto companies which receive virtually zero in the way of subsidies.

If Japan wants to give us cars for less then they cost, I don't have a problem with it and we should just allow the U.S. auto makers to have their small niche. But don't blame the U.S. automakers exclusively. They are waging an industrial war on a country with very little support from the U.S. Government (until now).
Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera4,Dec 4 2008, 04:00 PM
Everyone should realize that the global auto industry isn't a fair playground.

Japan heavily subsidizes it's auto industry through tax and exchange rate policies, domestic used car regulations, government directed bank lending and by not allowing foreign cars to be mass marketed in Japan. Not to mention a manufacturing oriented culture. All of those are direct subsidies and allow Japan to sell cars with substantially greater content, especially engineering content then American auto companies which receive virtually zero in the way of subsidies.

If Japan wants to give us cars for less then they cost, I don't have a problem with it and we should just allow the U.S. auto makers to have their small niche. But don't blame the U.S. automakers exclusively. They are waging an industrial war on a country with very little support from the U.S. Government (until now).
^And that sir was extremely well said.