Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The cars are literally just sitting and it

Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan H,May 26 2008, 01:37 AM
BTW, we're all sick of hearing how "great" your big truck is. Good for you, jeez.
His pompousness seemingly has no limits.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,May 24 2008, 08:26 AM] You cant knock small SUV's or even the top fule effiencet SUV's like out Pilot (23ish mpg). But Ive been trying to convince my wife that while we can afford it, we should make a lifestyle change and sell the Pilot and pick up a Prius or another Fit for her. She absolutly will not have anything of that. She will not budge on keeping the Pilot. At least its not a gas guzzler but still, when crude hits $200 a gallon and it costs us $6 a gallon, its going to hurt. Besides teh fact that at $4 a gallon, we arnt going to be loading the thing up again like 2 years ago and make a 3K mile round trip through Galcier and Yellowstone.

A lot of people on these boards just do not understand how much a family like ours (2 kids and a dog) actually need and use the entire capacity of a mid size SUV like a Pilot. There
Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 AM

drove from Pewaukee to Chicago and back over the weekend. About 230 miles round trip. Wasn't straight freeway driving. Had lots of stop/go/slower than 20mph on the freeway as the entire trip from the WI/IL border was under construction. And then had sitting on Ohio, making our way to Lake Front and MI Ave. Anyways, I still got 28.5 mpg in the s2000. So the guy that only gets 19mpg freeway in the s2000, either you drive like a jackass, or is too stupid to know how to use a calculator.

That being said, I have a Mastercraft boat that I used last summer 2-3x per week. It weighs 2400lbs, without fluids and without the trailer. Figure close to 4000-4500lbs once its all loaded. I also drive in the snow quite a bit in the winter time, its WI afterall. record snowball, 90+ inches last winter. So the s2000 doesnt fit the bill, as its not going to be driven in the snow and salt, and it won't tow my boat. I currently have a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad cab. Driving to work, no snow, I'm in the 14.5mpg range, with snow when the roads aren't cleared, I'm at 13.5 range. In the summer time, the truck sits, except to pull my boat.

My truck lease expires in 2 months. Find me a rig that will tow my boat, have AWD/4wd, and gets good MPG. Your subby isn't going to cut it
Old 05-26-2008, 12:21 PM

What kills me is the guys that buy the diesel pickups for better mileage, that then hang bigger, heavier wheels and tires from them, go crazy with the suspension, and do whatever else that adds a ton of weight to an already 5000lb+ machine. I don't know how some of those trucks get out of their own way. Many guys where I live see a lifted, chipped, dubbed-out mudwhumper F250 as a status symbol, and they're only slightly more common than the guys rocking $60k F350 dualies, only half of which are ever seen towing something.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H,May 25 2008, 11:37 PM
My S gets roughly 27-28mpg freeway. Some people even pull 30mpg driving 60-65mph. Don't know where you are getting 19mpg figure from unless you're always driving 100+ mph or pushing double the HP somehow.

BTW, we're all sick of hearing how "great" your big truck is. Good for you, jeez.

If you're getting 19mpg highway then there's something wrong with your car or you need to relax on your driving habits. I get easily 28mpg on the highway and regularly get 24-25 combined.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Axel6,May 26 2008, 05:40 AM
Try triplets, a 2yo and a dog.

We went with a Sienna.
our 18-month average (never reset the MPG calculation) is 19MPG - granted most trips are to the grocery store & day care, but we also do quite a bit of long drives to neighboring states. i would say sienna is OK when it comes to gas mileage.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by mingster,May 26 2008, 02:01 PM
our 18-month average (never reset the MPG calculation) is 19MPG - granted most trips are to the grocery store & day care, but we also do quite a bit of long drives to neighboring states. i would say sienna is OK when it comes to gas mileage.
It was either the Sienna or a yellow short bus!

The V6 is not a fuel sipper, but it was better than the alternative (ie Suburban, etc).
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by WFO Racer,May 25 2008, 11:29 PM
...All that is happening is the class system is being defined in America. Those who can step up to the plate and fill up their tanks are doing it and those who can't or won't can squeeze themselves into those puny little ecno boxes. Now living on the beach not sure how the average fat ass is going to fit in the puny cars. Reminds me of the mortgage mess those who shouldn't have bought houses are being exposed and those who really couldn't afford the gas guzzlers are being weeded out. Just because you bought or most likely leased (most did not lease for business reasons only the cheaper payment) when they could afford to fill the tank was in no way a guarantee that that would continue.

Has to suck to go from a roomy car to one of those gutless match boxes just to get 30 mpg.
Not sure what big point you thought you were making, but how does people over-extending themselves even remotely relate to this discussion? The trend is clear that people want higher MPG cars, and not 3 ton machines that don't make much sense if you don't have kids an no outdoor weekend hobbies. What proof do you have that it's because they all overextended themselves, and are apparently forced to buy those "ecno boxes"? Sounds like you enjoy buying into thin explanations.

Maybe it has something to do with geopolitics, the value of the dollar, people coming to their senses and being responsible about what they drive and overall consumption, etc. Maybe it's for entirely logical reasons. You seem to be implying everyone would be driving trucks like yours if they could afford it. Well, I can afford it, and I'm not.

And as far as "gutless match boxes" go, the guys driving diesel Chevys, Fords and Dodges probably think your Tundra is pretty gutless too. They also likely get better mileage.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,May 24 2008, 01:47 PM
Also, funny don't know if that's the article or another where people want to trade in a SUV and would take a 50% loss just b/c gas has gone from $3 to $4 a gallon meaning it's just a few hundred bucks a year but they will trade-in because the media is making a big deal of the gas price. It proves beyond any doubt that these SUVs were not needed in the first place.
We walked away from ours for exactly what we owed on it. The Jeep was GREAT when we were moving, but now that we are done, we simply don't need it anymore. I'm glad the timing worked out as it did.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WFO Racer,May 26 2008, 02:29 AM
Has to suck to go from a roomy car to one of those gutless match boxes just to get 30 mpg.
We don't quite get 30, but our new Jetta is FAR better to drive than the Jeep ever was. It's a win/win in my book.

Quick Reply: The cars are literally just sitting and it