Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cheaper daily and nice sports car or vice versa?

Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Couldn't drive some boring characterless car every day. some many good options. RAV4 ha!
Old 08-22-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Just got an E90 M3 two weeks ago. So far I absolutely love it. Great blend of comfort, practicality, and fun to drive.

My situation may be different though, because I only have a ~10mi commute each way (all highway, no traffic) and garages at both ends. If I had a longer, more painful commute or had to park in a crappy area with tight spaces, I'd probably feel bad putting all my money into one car that's used all the time. In that event, I'd probably go with something like a cheaper sporty lux sedan (like an E90 328i or 335i, which can be had for $13-18k now) plus a sports car.

If I had the budget and space, I'd keep my S2k for dedicated fun-road drives and track days. It's a great low-maintenance, small, challenging, open-top sports car as everyone here knows. Still thinking about finding a way to hold onto it.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 427 Likes on 301 Posts

I am in kinda the same spot. I had a car I won (another thread) which was actually a really nice little car and my 328i. I was going to trade one. I could have got more for the 3 series but I traded the Mitsubishi I won for the simple reason that I knew I would get frustrated day to day in a car that would not be able to pass or get going the way I like on a day in and day out basis.

I actually struggled with the decision because to keep the Mitsubishi would have been pretty much cost free for ten years with the warranty, the 3 series is a fast depreciator, and the warranty is up next year. But it came down to the fact that the 328 is just so much better to drive on a daily basis and so much more comfortable that I preferred it.

There is something to be said for a car that you don't have to spend any money on and you don't care if it gets dinged. But the flip side is one that brings more joy on a daily basis.

I was going to get the toy either way, and spend a pantload on a car I will hardly drive. But I could have got a better one I suppose if I had decided to trade the nicer daily and keep the lesser daily.

You need to consider what a nicer daily brings you. In my case the 328i had nicer seats, was much faster, handled way better, has better safety ratings, and the BMW stereo is really one of the best stock units I have ever had. It is not just ONE thing that gets better on a daily basis, it is lots of things that make driving one much better than driving the other.

I was VERY close to just wanting to perhaps screw the two cars and just get one awesome sport sedan, but I could not quite do it yet and still wanted a two seater.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I had a beater Jeep Cherokee for awhile, then a 07 Accord, and then eventually a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a daily. This allowed the S2000 to remain in the garage and only come out for fun. This was good at first but I found myself using the S2000 less and less and missing driving. I didn't mind having a beater to drive around at first and then I slowly progressed to having a nice daily, but the Jeep and Accord were anything but fun. However I found myself bored with driving and really missing having something fun to drive everyday. I dailyed S2000's for many years and had no desire to start doing that again. I tried using my S2000 this past spring a couple times a week for a month as a daily. It was meh.

I got to the point where I could afford a fun daily and picked up a Audi S3. It had been about 4.5 years since I regularly had a nice fun sporty car to drive everyday and I am loving it. I am now at a point though where I am questioning the need to have a dedicated sportscar. On public roads the S3 handles well, has plenty of power, and gives me the thrills and fun factor of driving a sports car, but its also roomy, practical, comfortable, and has effortless power. The great stereo and amenities are also nice.

I might be making a move in the next year that will require me to sell the Audi or S2000 and I can't for the life of me decide what to do. I will be back on the east coast and have rain, snow, and winter. If I sell the S2000 I will pickup a daily beater to drive for a few years until I get back to the point of being able to afford something like the S3. Or I sell the S2000 and keep the fun daily S3.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a beaterish track s2000 with 100k mi and all the safety equip so I can enjoy the track. And an S3 for DD. So far, very happy. Went from an old Nissan Pathfinder.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to daily my previous s2000 and all my sports cars before that I won't go back to dallying a sports car.

I enjoy not having to worry about getting door dings, or getting bumped by accident when people are parking, running up miles and having to worry about expensive maintenance, getting attention from cops or hauling people or things around and getting additional wear and tear.

I picked up a 2007 Honda Fit off craigslist for a very cheap price and I love it. Cheap gas prices, I have a peace of mind anywhere I park, I keep the major wear and tear off the s2000, and all the additional maintenance costs would of added up being the cost of the Fit. If the ride/commute gets too boring in the fit I will analyze risk and will wake up very early to avoid the morons on the road , and also take the best parking spot in the lot at work. When that gets old of waking up early, ride gets too rough, or in the worst case I get a scratch or something I'm switching right back to the fit.

As I continue to grow in my position I wouldn't mind something more sporty to daily drive. But I would want something thats good on gas, reliable, cheap and I don't have to worry about if it gets the tons of door dings. Also something where the mod bug doesn't kick in so I won't spend any more money lol

Its more of a mental thing to me.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I had a beater Jeep Cherokee for awhile, then a 07 Accord, and then eventually a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a daily. This allowed the S2000 to remain in the garage and only come out for fun. This was good at first but I found myself using the S2000 less and less and missing driving. I didn't mind having a beater to drive around at first and then I slowly progressed to having a nice daily, but the Jeep and Accord were anything but fun. However I found myself bored with driving and really missing having something fun to drive everyday. I dailyed S2000's for many years and had no desire to start doing that again. I tried using my S2000 this past spring a couple times a week for a month as a daily. It was meh.

I got to the point where I could afford a fun daily and picked up a Audi S3. It had been about 4.5 years since I regularly had a nice fun sporty car to drive everyday and I am loving it. I am now at a point though where I am questioning the need to have a dedicated sportscar. On public roads the S3 handles well, has plenty of power, and gives me the thrills and fun factor of driving a sports car, but its also roomy, practical, comfortable, and has effortless power. The great stereo and amenities are also nice.

I might be making a move in the next year that will require me to sell the Audi or S2000 and I can't for the life of me decide what to do. I will be back on the east coast and have rain, snow, and winter. If I sell the S2000 I will pickup a daily beater to drive for a few years until I get back to the point of being able to afford something like the S3. Or I sell the S2000 and keep the fun daily S3.
This hits home for me since I am considering a new Grand Cherokee for a daily replacement as I live in PA and have to deal with the winters.

Also funny that you and Clarkster both went to an Audi S3 for a daily and love it - the S3 used to be on my list of dual duty fun DDs... sounds like I should drive one before I pull the trigger on the Jeep.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1471886162' post='24044985

This hits home for me since I am considering a new Grand Cherokee for a daily replacement as I live in PA and have to deal with the winters.

Also funny that you and Clarkster both went to an Audi S3 for a daily and love it - the S3 used to be on my list of dual duty fun DDs... sounds like I should drive one before I pull the trigger on the Jeep.
I love our '14 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. I will definitely be keeping this when I move back to PA. Its pretty much my wifes car now though.

The S3 is a blast and I really enjoy it. I would certainly go drive one. Its a grown up Evo/STI.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SilliG
I used to daily my previous s2000 and all my sports cars before that I won't go back to dallying a sports car.

I enjoy not having to worry about getting door dings, or getting bumped by accident when people are parking, running up miles and having to worry about expensive maintenance, getting attention from cops or hauling people or things around and getting additional wear and tear.

I picked up a 2007 Honda Fit off craigslist for a very cheap price and I love it. Cheap gas prices, I have a peace of mind anywhere I park, I keep the major wear and tear off the s2000, and all the additional maintenance costs would of added up being the cost of the Fit.
You make it sound like an S2000 costs as much to maintain as some temperamental exotic. Really it doesn't cost all that much more than maintaining a Fit.

I also found it somewhat easier to avoid dings with the S2000 simply because it's so small. If you really snuggle up to a curb, wall, or pillar it creates a lot of space between the car and the next spot over.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Originally Posted by SilliG' timestamp='1471901244' post='24045237

I picked up a 2007 Honda Fit off craigslist for a very cheap price and I love it. Cheap gas prices, I have a peace of mind anywhere I park, I keep the major wear and tear off the s2000, and all the additional maintenance costs would of added up being the cost of the Fit.
You make it sound like an S2000 costs as much to maintain as some temperamental exotic. Really it doesn't cost all that much more than maintaining a Fit.

I also found it somewhat easier to avoid dings with the S2000 simply because it's so small. If you really snuggle up to a curb, wall, or pillar it creates a lot of space between the car and the next spot over.
You have a skewed perception if you sit down and do the math you will see the Fit is quite cheaper to own than the s2k. Not saying the s2000 is a temperamental exotic, but the more you drive the s2k the more wear and tear you will add to it. More wear and tear the more you will have to fix or neglect. Just the day to day cost of ownership of gas alone is $15 more per fill up and you have to fill up more often in the s2k. I can go on and on...

Also not every situation you can get away from people, idiots will still find a way to hit you. Do you ever parallel park, park at a crowded bar, a concert etc..

It all comes down to how much you value your car. I paid good hard earned money for my car and I enjoy seeing it stay clean. My Honda Fit I could pretty much careless and that peace of mind is worth it.

Quick Reply: Cheaper daily and nice sports car or vice versa?