Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Civic Si or Mazdaspeed3?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i almost bought a Speed 3 but gas mileage sucks. My Si gets around 29 in mixed driving. It's not perfect but what $20k car is?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 AM

I test drove a MazdaSpeed3 and can't believe Mazda let a car go into production with such terrible torque steer.
It will literally jerk you into another lane if you don't grip the wheel and quickly compensate under acceleration!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Sounds like you're tired of FWD pocket rocket cars.

Get a Mazda RX-8.

Yes they suk on gas but instead of paying for a 20K car you're paying for a 15K car.

So over 3-4 years of ownership those 5000$ you saved will be handy at the fuel pump.

Oh and the RX-8 is a lot more fun to drive than a Civic Si and wayyyyy more fun than a MazdaSpeed 3.

Plus the ride quality is 10X better than the bouncy-choppy Civic SI. It's uber-comfortable and the chassis soaks up bumps beautifully.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Mar 2 2009, 11:09 AM
I'd get a MINI S. It bothers me that the MazdaSpeed and Civic Si cant pull over 30mpg without trying super hard. My younger brother has the Si and I have considerable seat time.
I easily get 29 mpg in mixed driving with my si. The mini wasn't an option for me because it's too small and the closest dealer is 100 miles away. I can buy a lot of gas for the marginal gas mileage difference between my si and a mini given the price difference of the cars.

Everybody has different situations so it's hard to recommend a car when you get a post like the first one. I know putting a baby in a car seat in the back of a mini would be a pain compared to my si sedan, but something like that wouldn't have been a factor to me 10 years ago.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

new mazdaspeed3 is coming soon...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

lol @ some of the relatively ignorant comments in here. of course a Speed 3 has torque steer, even low torque N/A FWD cars have it, just not as noticeable, what do you think happens to a Civic Si if you boosted it?

I get about 26 mpg average in my Speed 3....omg thats effing terrible, but 29 or 30 is like WAY better right.

Heres what I will say...if the rattles and squeeks bug you in the Civic the Speed 3 is gonna do it more, its a much stiffer chassis and the build quality is not super high...not saying its cheaply made but the amount of cold weather noises this car makes is absolutely unbelievable
Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM

The New Mazdaspeed3 looks cool. I just saw some pics. I wonder if they would bite the bullet and make it AWD this time.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:36 AM

I did some extensive research on the MS3; there still seem to be issues with the motor mounts, regardless of year (better after the TSBs, but someone who had an '08 had their engine fall), and at least on the boards, about 1% seem to have smoking or failed turbos, which don't seem to be addressed by Mazda.

I really wanted to like it, but I want a more reliable car.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Own an 08.5 MS3 and now has 13.5k miles. No issues so far and change my own oil with the exception of rattling on windshield cowl when cold outside. Fix is to put some double tape adhesive between windshield and cowl right in the middle. Heard some smoking turbos in 07 models but also read they were modded so who knows. Havent seen any recent posts about smoking turbos and pretty sure dealer would cover if not modded. Chassis is stiff and braces everywhere. Undercarriage is mostly covered for high speed stability. I get about 25 mpg mixed city/hwy. Powerband and clutch engagement definitely different compared to Honda but get used to it. Some might not like it. 2nd row is roomy and comfortable compared to Civic Si. Torque steer is controllable if punching in a straight. With DSC on in a turn, boost is controlled by ECU to limit torque steer but isn't any diffferent than punching it too hard in a turn with RWD where you rotate the other way lol. As someone already said, with so much torque in either fwd or rwd car you better hold on to steering wheel if punching it. It's my daily and drive 60 miles to and from work. Never get tired of it and power is effortless. Power dies at about 6k rpm even though redline is 6.5k rpm. Definitely not a high revving machine since power is all down low and mid. Last dyno with Cobb SRI was 250whp and 285 wtq. It's my daily and family hauler(2 car seats in the back) and 2nd row is roomy without them. Effortless taking off from a stop which is I wanted from a daily, not revving it all the way to 8k to keep up with minivans and suv's lol. For my needs it works. If Civic Si had that power, pretty sure it would also have torque steer. Driving dynamics doesn't seem as refined as Civic Si but laptimes for MS3 close to or equivalent to S2K. Not bad for FWD. No experience with Mazda reliability since first Mazda but MS3 is 100% made and assembled in Japan unlike the regular 3's. Based on Honda's history reliability "might" be better. Wife owned an 07 Civic LX coupe and was fun to drive so pretty sure Si is the same.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

my old 3 was made in Japan too

Quick Reply: Civic Si or Mazdaspeed3?