Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Consumer Reports Not Kind to Solstice

Old 05-06-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,May 6 2006, 03:36 PM
you dont like the s2k? its the funnest car I've ever owned
Don't get me wrong, I do...but it isn't as easily tossable (and catchable!) as the Miata. You can hang the tail out at 15mph in the Miata all day long...for many, hanging the tail out in the S2000 turns into an expensive mistake (note the quote in my sig...)
Old 05-06-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmateer,May 6 2006, 10:17 AM
The latest issue of Consumer Reports complains that the Pontiac Solstice ... Door locks, power window controls, and seat recline knob are difficult or impossible to reach while driving. There is no place inside to put a map or cell phone where the driver can reach them.
I've been complaining about the placement of the power window controls and the seat recline knob ever since I sat in one. There was also a British review that pointed out the same bad design. But very seldom do you read about such trivial things in an American car magazine review, but it is little things like these that make the car unacceptable to live with.

As for storage space, we can say the same about the S2000.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,May 6 2006, 03:46 PM
I've been complaining about the placement of the power window controls and the seat recline knob ever since I sat in one. There was also a British review that pointed out the same bad design. But very seldom do you read about such trivial things in an American car magazine review, but it is little things like these that make the car unacceptable to live with.

As for storage space, we can say the same about the S2000.
The power window switches aren't in the best spot but I don't find them that bad to deal with (based on sitting the the Solstice and driving the Sky). The seat reline also isn't great but how often to you adjust it. In the Sky I put it all the way back and wished for a bit more. Same with the Miata. On the other hand, the radio and climate controls were absolutely first class. I care about those features a lot more.
The seat control in the Kappa cars is because they used what as available for seats. In order to do the car quickly and on a very tight budget they had to use a lot of off the shelf parts. GM spent ~$300 million developing the Kappa cars. Toyota will likely spend that much on a large add campaign. The up side to the $300 million price tag is they don't have to sell many to make money. Even if the Solstice isn't long lived I hope (and would think any enthusiast would hope) that GM continues to produce low volume but profitable cars like the Solstice.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Need I drag this up......

Maybe I should go work for Consumer Reports
Old 05-06-2006, 06:18 PM

Grassroots Motorsports mentioned that Solstice had a great chassis and better suspension (at the limit) than the new Miata. Had faster times in their autocross comparo.
Every time I read that the Solstice was done on an 'accelerated schedule' it gives me a negative feeling (as if they didn't spend enough time with the details). I still think it's good to have more sportscars around, so I wish for good sales and maybe a second generation.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:26 AM

And, as predicted, the sandy gashes over at the solstice forum are in an uproar: Ah, it warms my heart

For fun, play the Solstice Forum drinking game:

Drink 1 every time:
-They say _____ just hates GM
-They say they don't care about cargo space
-They say they don't care about getting out to put the top down

Drink 2 every time:
-They say they know the Sol's better than the Miata
-They say they know it even though they haven't driven a Miata
-They say they'd NEVER buy a foreign car

Drink 5 every time:
-They talk about what a classic the Solstice will be
-They talk about how good the Fiero was
-They talk about how many people gather around their parked Solstice
-They talk about a passenger in (insert $$$ car) gawked at their Solstice

The Solstice Forum Drinking Game is GUARANTEED to get you drunk in 10 threads or less!

(The SFDG does not recommend doing shots after every found typo, misspelling, or lack of capitalization/punctuation. Serious injury, death, or fear for the human race may result.)
Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Banned

you can do the same if you replace Solstice with "S2000" and Fiero with "Civic" uke: in that game. Probably get drunk faster, too :/
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 AM

me personally, i am not the biggest fan of the pontiac, but i hear the new miata is pretty nice. I was thinking about checking it out just for the fun of it. Wouldn't ever think of trading the s2k for it though.

-Ian
Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,May 8 2006, 06:30 AM
you can do the same if you replace Solstice with "S2000" and Fiero with "Civic" uke: in that game. Probably get drunk faster, too :/
Not exactly. We have quite a few people here who revel in bringing the fanbois back down to earth. At the Solstice forum, they ban or berate people who do that.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,May 8 2006, 12:19 PM
Not exactly. We have quite a few people here who revel in bringing the fanbois back down to earth. At the Solstice forum, they ban or berate people who do that.
my point is, we have those people. The fact that we have others who don't worship blindly at the altar of JDM doesn't change that.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Not Kind to Solstice