Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Daily driver for less than $10k

Old 12-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has a 1999 Passat with the V6 (VR6?) that has been pretty reliable, despite it being a 1999 German car. Always felt decent on power too. Might that fit the bill?

Originally Posted by caraficionado
I currently daily drive a Volvo S40 and it's nearing the end of it's life. I'm thinking of what used car to buy next.

In order of priority, I'm looking for:

1. Less than $10K
2. 4 door sedan
3. A little bit of power (0-60 around 7ish)
4. Safety ratings
5. Fuel efficiency (looking for regular fuel and 30+MPG on highway)
6. Reliable car

As of now, the cars that meet my criteria are
- 05-09 Jetta
- 04-09 Mazda 3 with Side air bags

Are there any others that you guys recommend?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Gold Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 on honda fit, although it doesn't meet your 0-60 criteria. But then again, I think you will need to make a few compromises on your criteria
Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions made so far.

Originally Posted by lleron
I think an IS300 fits most of your requirements except for the gas mileage (I think they're closer to 20 than 30mpg). Overall, they're pretty good cars for the money though.
Looks like the IS300 gets 16/23. I like the car, but fuel efficiency is a factor me as I make frequent road trips. I drive my primary car almost 12-13K miles a year. I get 22/32 on my S40. The IS300 would be an extra $600 a year in fuel costs.

Originally Posted by G S2000
1st gen honda fit
0 to 60 mph in 8.3 sec. I need a little bit of power for my style of driving - I go about 5 mph over limit on road and 10 over on highway. This requires me to frequently pass people.

With my driving style, I think cars that have too slow of an acceleration (8-9 secs+) are unsafe - merging, passing folks, etc would not be easy. I'd have to change my driving style quite a bit to accommodate slower cars.

Originally Posted by S2K Al
My brother has a 1999 Passat with the V6 (VR6?) that has been pretty reliable, despite it being a 1999 German car. Always felt decent on power too. Might that fit the bill?
Passat looks like a good option, but it says it requires premium fuel. I ideally wanted to look at options that "required" regular, but I fill the S40 with regular (although it requires premium). To date, the engine seems to be able to compensate with regular and I lose maybe about 1-2 MPGs on the road. I'll consider that, thanks.

Originally Posted by myclue
+1 on honda fit, although it doesn't meet your 0-60 criteria. But then again, I think you will need to make a few compromises on your criteria
It's not a hard set of criteria, but I absolutely do not want to compromise on safety and power.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

You are going to have to compromise on something unfortunately.

Even tho the civic SI takes premium, it is great on gas. According to fuelly, most get around 27 mpg with mixed driving.

Even at 20 mpg, 13k miles/year, with a .50 price difference, that's only $325/year more.
@ 27 mpg, that's $240/year. Not a big deal imho especially since you're getting honda reliability in exchange.

& it's decently fun to drive
Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

And btw IMO passats and jettas are a pos. If you want reliable those can't be choices. The only VW that is semi-reliable is the love golf/GTI.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I laughed so hard when you had a Jetta or passat and reliable in the same sentence. Those cars are piles of shit man. Look else where. What's the big deal with premium fuel? Super gas burn slower so it all equates to the same.

Look into civics, accords v6 6speed, older wrx, sentra v6,etc
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 AM

0 to 60 mph in 8.3 sec. I need a little bit of power for my style of driving - I go about 5 mph over limit on road and 10 over on highway. This requires me to frequently pass people.

With my driving style, I think cars that have too slow of an acceleration (8-9 secs+) are unsafe - merging, passing folks, etc would not be easy. I'd have to change my driving style quite a bit to accommodate slower cars.
I don't understand how your style of driving will not allow you to pass cars going 10mph over the speed limit. If a car is going 65 and your going 75, your already passing him lol? I don't understand. Either way getting 30mpg+ on the high way in an older car that is 7secs quick doesn't seem to go together. How about a diseal VW Beetle turbo? My ex has one and it has 160k miles on it. She's owned it for 4 years and no major problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al0s...e_gdata_player
Cmon, who wouldn't like that? THAT'S FUN!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Super gas burn slower so it all equates to the same.
False
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Super gas burn slower so it all equates to the same.
False
Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I wouldn't buy a car over $600/year difference in gas spend and your list is a joke right?

For my next family sedan I am looking at the IS350 AWD or the TL SH-AWD. But those are well above your budget but would meet all the rest of your list.

I think you need to reduce your requirements and focus on WHAT really matters. Your $10k is a joke with the rest of your requirements. Otherwise line up for a Honda Civic. Passing power on budget? Reliability but cheap? HP but high MPG? All for $10k? You're buying a used car that is going to be 8 years old at that price point. You'll be lucky to get anything on your list - sorry. Most cars that are from that time will be <30mpg and if you buy on your budget unreliable.

In your shoes I'd save a little bit more coin, get in the $15k zone and buy a 6sp TSX (1st gen). It meets all your requirements less budget and 91oc gas. I do however know from personal experience and over 50K doing so without issue you can run 89/87 gas with reduced power. If you can feel the difference you're smoking crack. All of my car nut friends thought I'd implode the motor but it never happened. But with he small difference in cost it really isn't worth it. It was however a nice experiment.

I also suspect the focus on gas savings could probably largely be offset by getting a lighter foot during regular driving. The TSX will return 32-34mpg on the flat freeway.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Daily driver for less than $10k