Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Deal of a lifetime

Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
These are not knock-offs. They're actual licensed Atom chassis' from China that aren't supposed to be made available anywhere else. They only sold 2 and so they have a bunch of stock left. They're not knock-offs, even though they're selling them as replicas.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Who cares about licensing them? Spend that money on a trailer and take it to rip on the tracks instead!!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

It'll be a lot tougher without support from the Atom community, that's for sure. No parts support, no tech support, no information being shared. Not sure I'd want to try it.

Even WITH the support, building one isn't a walk in the park.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Shit I'm about to buy one and put it into one of my import containers I bring from china.... Time to make some calls
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I didn't realize they weren't knock-offs.

I don't think I'd sweat the whole no factory support thing, because if I were building something like this to begin with I'd want to be confident in my own ability to solve any problems that come along using my own independent knowledge and research online. Ariel can't keep their owners from sharing knowledge/experience across the entire internet

As for replacement parts, how much is proprietary from them directly? My understanding is that most or all of the moving parts are sourced from a donor car or purchased independently from said donor's OEM. I guess if the car got wrecked, fixing the chassis itself would be more or less impossible without access to Ariel's parts but if you find a good machine shop you can probably "make do" on your own and still come out a ton cheaper than buying a whole car from them.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM

I think a set of instructions would be pretty good to have...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Shit I'm about to buy one and put it into one of my import containers I bring from china.... Time to make some calls
"Overnight parts from Japan..."
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
Originally Posted by Nandska' timestamp='1366636158' post='22489971
That's pretty crazy. But then again, it really shows you what the mark up is on these. Not saying that part of the markup isn't needed for legal fees and such for having it "street legal".

I'd be willing to bet that one of these copy cars is just as safe and would perform just as good as the real deal. I'd still want to get it thoroughly inspected and tested for things like torsional strength and rigidity before I put myself in the seat, though.

I am not suggesting that an Atom would be anything other than a disaster in a serious crash, but I think people are forgetting the Chinese copycat car crash test videos. You are probably looking at cheaper steel and lower quality welds.

I am not sure that it would come apart during a high G corner, but think about the safety the Atom provides and cut it in half and you probably have the Chinese copy. Death trap might be extreme but just don't hit anything at all with it.

I mean, it is not like any Chinese factory ever cut any corners and had anything but pure product safety in mind, right?

There are tons of Honda Scooter clones made by Chinese companies that bust welds, have bolts sheer off, crack mounting brackets, and have transmission cases crack in half.

The price is tempting, but I know the first time I drove it hard it would scare the piss out of me thinking what is going to break. With Chinese stuff it is when, not if, and you just hope the failure is nothing serious. What happens when a chasis shows up incorrectly welded and warped in one direction or another?

You are looking at the Ariel Atom version of an Ebay Chinese exhaust system.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM

You need to reread the thread. These are ACTUAL Atom chassis', licensed for Chinese manufacture and approved for sale (by Atom) in China. They're ticked that they're being made available in the USA, that's all.

I can tell you that Chinese fabricators are extremely skilled. Their welders are every bit as good or better as/than what I've seen in typical American factories.

Again, these aren't copycats. They're actual Atom-approved chassis!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You need to reread the thread. These are ACTUAL Atom chassis', licensed for Chinese manufacture and approved for sale (by Atom) in China. They're ticked that they're being made available in the USA, that's all.

I can tell you that Chinese fabricators are extremely skilled. Their welders are every bit as good or better as/than what I've seen in typical American factories.

Again, these aren't copycats. They're actual Atom-approved chassis!

Ok, but it still seems strange to me that they are official approved Atom chassis, that can't be sold as Atom chassis. If they (Ariel) were worried they would hurt their brand they could have bought them up and used them, the fact that they are not leaves me wondering a little.

If people buy these and can build one for pennies on the dollar, why does Ariel not scoop them up and sell the regular premium priced from the factory models with them to prevent losing sales? Is there something about the chassis that makes Ariel NOT want to use them in their own US factory cars? Let's face it, these chassis at this price will make it much easier for an unauthorized manufacturer to measure, copy, and make knock offs which could hurt Ariel IMHO.

I hope everyone who plunks down the money ends up with a nice product, just not something I would do.

Quick Reply: Deal of a lifetime