Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Did you all hear about the new 2010 TSX?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

Well, Audi does just fine with AWD and FWD only, so I don't know that Acura needs to change over in order to be competitive. SH-AWD is a great system for performance and is optional or standard on a number of their vehicles.

That said, I think RWD and optional SH-AWD would be a better combination for their lineup.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Mar 26 2009, 03:19 PM
Just because you don't need it doesn't mean you shouldn't have it - you underestimate awd's capabilities in dry weather. Besides, the Acura is still stuck with fwd. At least if it had awd it might be a palatable alternative to its competition.
Baloney. On the street in dry areas, AWD is rarely needed or even advantageous. Launching a car rarely happens in street driving and that's the only real advantage. If you're running a car so hard that it needs AWD on the street, you're probably going to crash eventually anyways or else have way more power than is legally useable for more than three seconds.

The only time AWD is really "needed" is in rain/snow/ice or possibly in colder weather on summer-only tires (my S2000 is pretty loose when it's 40*F outside).

An aware driver really doesn't need AWD in places like Texas, Florida, Cali, Arizona, etc, etc...

Acura does offer (SH-)AWD, just not on this car. Yet.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Mar 26 2009, 01:19 PM
At least if it had awd it might be a palatable alternative to its competition.
This is my biggest concern with their models. Virtually all of their competitors have AWD or RWD, so why be obsolete?

Would Honda as a brand overall improve their image if they offered these platforms? I happen to think they would and it would make looking for the next car that much better. For as of now, you're somewhat limited by brands.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very soon, the TSX's front tires will need to be wider than the rear tires.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Mar 26 2009, 05:22 PM
That said, I think RWD and optional SH-AWD would be a better combination for their lineup.
Of course it would. Too bad Honda doesn't get it.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Mar 26 2009, 05:26 PM
Baloney. On the street in dry areas, AWD is rarely needed or even advantageous. Launching a car rarely happens in street driving and that's the only real advantage. If you're running a car so hard that it needs AWD on the street, you're probably going to crash eventually anyways or else have way more power than is legally useable for more than three seconds.

The only time AWD is really "needed" is in rain/snow/ice or possibly in colder weather on summer-only tires (my S2000 is pretty loose when it's 40*F outside).

An aware driver really doesn't need AWD in places like Texas, Florida, Cali, Arizona, etc, etc...

Acura does offer (SH-)AWD, just not on this car. Yet.
Like I said, you underestimate awd.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM

You're making a statement but not backing it up.

Tell me how AWD in dry, hot climates is of any real use in cars with relatively minor power (300 hp or less, even 400 hp or less).

I grew up in snow, ice, rain, and sleet so I understand its capabilities but I've never had an issue in Texas with FWD and RWD cars. You just don't need it. It might be handy now and again but 99% of the time, it's just extra weight.

I've driven a Cobb Stage 2 STi with roughly 340 hp and it understeered badly and really didn't excite me much except in a straight line. I could put the same power down in my S2000 with 255 rear tires, no problem.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 384 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Mar 26 2009, 05:44 PM
You're making a statement but not backing it up.

Tell me how AWD in dry, hot climates is of any real use in cars with relatively minor power (300 hp or less, even 400 hp or less).

I grew up in snow, ice, rain, and sleet so I understand its capabilities but I've never had an issue in Texas with FWD and RWD cars. You just don't need it. It might be handy now and again but 99% of the time, it's just extra weight.

I've driven a Cobb Stage 2 STi with roughly 340 hp and it understeered badly and really didn't excite me much except in a straight line. I could put the same power down in my S2000 with 255 rear tires, no problem.
When I made the comment I was saying what many of the people in this thread are, AWD or RWD. Another big, heavy, FWD car, gee that is original for Honda.

I live in Texas also, and my opinion about AWD is totally different than yours. In Dallas, it pisses down rain, pisses this time of year. Yeah it doesn't rain every day, but when it does, I really love having AWD. Even in the dry I love it, the grip is incredible.
You don't need to have AWD or a nice car for that matter, maybe we should all drive low HP, cookie cutter FWD cars, no thanks. It ices up here too, just about every year, another instance when I'm glad I'm not in a FWD or RWD car. I like knowing that I can drive in virtually any weather condition where I live, especially when it's pissing down rain. In the S2000, when it pissed down rain, I'd have to slow down and keep a watchful eye on the rear tires stepping out on me. In the AWD car I get to drive normally. Cornering with AWD is exceptional as well as is cornering in the rain. I don't drive like a maniac by any means but when it's pouring rain here, if I drove both cars stock (the S2000 and my car) at the same speed around a corner, the S2000 would start spinning while the STi winks, goes through the corner like it's normal, everyday conditions. It offers more grip, and in a daily drive vehicle that is what I want. I've owned countless FWD Hondas, an AWD Honda, and a RWD Honda, imo AWD is superior. For a weekend, 2nd car, I'd have nothing other than RWD in my garage for that purpose. For a DD, AWD > everything else, even in Texas!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Honda doesn't have a RWD plant, that's why they keep making these AWD/FWD cars

Quick Reply: Did you all hear about the new 2010 TSX?