Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Don't want to drive my S2k anymore...

Old 09-09-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't want to drive my S2k anymore...

woohooo!!! I got to drive the DB9 yesterday (one of the few perks of being in the car business).....it was, well.....I don't know if I should compare it to sex, I might start a flame war. Anyway, it was an amazing car....check out my review on it if you have time:

DB9 Review

pictures there too. Probably some typos, as I just wrote it this morning and put it up....
Old 09-09-2005, 08:16 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW

Great review, you did a great job expressing your joy of driving this car.

If I have a bone to pick with the DB9, (never having the pleasure to drive one), it would be that it seems more show than go. Not to say it's not a runner, but I'd rather slum with a 911S (saving 400 lbs) or better yet Z06 (saving 600 lbs).

Now I know it's not a "race car", but it's an odd sort trying to be racy but also refined. I guess I'm not there (in my world) where I can see spending north of $150K for a car that's not a Ferrari.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You seem pretty worked up about a 4000+ pound pig. For reference, what other cars have you driven?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:19 AM

Oooh. Harsh.

It may not be the best car ever, but it's a long way from being the worst. Nice GT.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by steve c,Sep 9 2005, 09:08 AM
You seem pretty worked up about a 4000+ pound pig. For reference, what other cars have you driven?
I really shouldn't respond....but I will.

For one, the curb weight is just under 3800 pounds. FWIW, that's a light car for a 2+2.

I prefaced the article by saying it's not a supercar by any stretch....but compared to other cars I've driven, from my slow S2k, to an NSX, to a Bentley GT, to a Ferrari 360....the list goes on....it's an impressive car.

Besides...I'm not going to bash the car in the article just because a Saleen S7 is faster. You don't see Edmunds calling the Ford Taurus a POS because it's not a Mercedes. Compared to other cars in its class, the car is suprisingly AMAZING.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Question

Originally Posted by steve c,Sep 9 2005, 12:08 PM
Man, Steve, buddy, I don't want to start a flame war but you are just rude. I have read many many posts by you and all you seem to want to do is start ripping on everybody or every car. Don't you think that, even if your opinion of the DB9 is less than amicable, you could have stated your self in a less inflamatory way.

Why would he need to qualify himself? Have you driven that car? What basis for comparison do you have to call it a pig. Are you going from something some writer has said in some publication?

Your need to instigate angst in all of your posts really does not contribute to whatever thread you decide to post in.

I think it is great that you have 5 stars and are a long standing member of this board but all of your venom detracts from what ever validity your posts contain.

Nice car and write up switchcars, I wish I could have been there.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:53 AM

Just curious because the "real" press seem less than enthusiastic about the car. Getting a baseline of what cars you have driven would make it easier to understand where you are coming from. Then again, driving a car around town does not allow a good assessment in my view ...

For one, the curb weight is just under 3800 pounds. FWIW, that's a light car for a 2+2.
For what it's worth, should you wish to continue playing automotive journalist you should really take the time to research your statistics. The car you drove weighs (as advertised by AM) 3968 pounds.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:17 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CAR magazine loved the DB9 (but that could be Homer loyalty). Considering it's competition 2+2 front engine coupes: M6 (3800 lbs), 512 Scag (4000+ lbs) and Conti GT (5000+ lbs).

It's not fair to compare it to the 911S or 911 tt or Z06 b/c the DB9 is more about style (IMO) tho on price the 911 tt would be a nice match and probably could be decked out nicely.

Also the 911 tt is not the lightest car around by a long way.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by steve c,Sep 9 2005, 11:53 AM
Just curious because the "real" press seem less than enthusiastic about the car.
and we all know how the "real press" is so impartial and level-headed :/
Old 09-09-2005, 10:21 AM

No -- but they do spend more than an hour with the car. You can also generally assume a person at a large outlet is going to have driven a ton of other cars, had probably developed an objective and subjective method for rating vehicles -- and that the article will in some way incorporate the input of other folks.

Really -- I don't see what was so out of whack with my first post, knowing what cars this guy has driven would help me better understand why he likes the car.

FWIW The old guy at Top Gear like the car too. Or was that the Volant?

Quick Reply: Don't want to drive my S2k anymore...