Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove an EVO on Saturday....

Old 03-13-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

One thing you guys haven't mentioned is that production is NOT limited on this Evo. Mitsubishi will build 1 MILLION of these cars if they can sell them. I most definitely would NOT pay over sticker and certainly would wait a little while. In a few months, there will be a lot of them sitting dealer lots. At $26k or so, it will be a steal. If you don't think you'll be able to get one at $26k just wait six months and see what happens. Mitsubishi is building these as fast as they can make them.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty surprised the car weighs 3250lbs.. that is a tank.
3250lbs is a tank?

The 350Z weights at least that, the Z06 slightly less.... The M roadster and Boxster can't be too much less than 3200 lbs, can they?

I just fail to see how that's "a tank".
Old 03-14-2003, 05:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by supercar63
[B]
Old 03-14-2003, 05:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scot
[B]YOU DICK!!! ahah

I am waiting (impatiently) for my ing evo to show up here in Pennsylvania, and you are out test driving them 750 miles from me.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

ya, the EVO VI was 2950lbs..... that would be more ideal in my opinion. It did a 12.9 qtr and obviously would be less weight on the brakes, etc.... 3250 is pretty porky in my mind....but what do you do?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by DJAuggie
A true sports car is more than just speed. It's looks.
Don't you think this is the definition of an exotic?

It shouldn't have a wagon in the back or 4 doors
Why not? I mean, technically this is not optical for sports driving, but by that definition there is a ton of things that need to go, like the spare seat on the right in the cars you mention below. The driver should sit in the middle, etc. The reason cars have these unecessary features is for non-sport uses, or simply the nature of the sport (production car series, homologation).

I am thinking Vette, Viper, Supra, RX7, etc.
Corvette and RX-7 are fine all-round performance cars, but the Viper is like an not so great handling exotic car, and the Supra is more like a japanese muscle car. Different sports cars excel at different motorsports, whatever their bias is.

The cars that can go on a drag-strip or go on like a NASCAR track.
Drag + NASCAR Oval racing? So your idea of sports cars is.. Oooo.. NAWZCARS! Oval racing is a specialized motorsport that nearly excludes the need to turn the car, using brakes, shifting, etc. Drag ricing, err, racing is even more specialized. It's merely a test of the car's accellerative performance, which is but one of many many qualities of a car.

Your idea of a sports car sounds like what North Americans consider to be the premiere motorsports.

Is going around a dirt track and up through the mountains a true "sports car"?
If cars drive on roads and a car performs extremely well on most roads, then I would call that a very very sporty car.

I just see it as more than performance but sound, looks, etc. as well.
Well, that's just stereotyping cars. You car-ist!

Originally posted by vroom
This is really sort of a new category, EVO, STI, etc - maybe we should call them "Street Rally".
Pffft, rally racing means racing on public roads/streets. I think the best sport car is that which excels in real world conditions. I'd argue that the new STi might well be the fastest production A to B car ever built, in real world conditions.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:08 AM
Banned

Welcome to the 1990s :-)

EVO is a great car and just kicks WRXs' arses. WRXs' are great cars too, but the US don't normally get to see other japanese cars right? There is a subaru SUV called Forrester which uses the same 4WD system as the WRX and just as fast (no joke even though its bigger and a little heavier). THis one is becoming a lot more popular now in Australia.

Only problem with the EVO is that its a little more expensive, may overheat a little and looks like a Lancer. Oh, and its a Mitsubishi :-P
Old 03-15-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Z06-KILLR

I think the EVO should hit 13.4 @ 104...that's my guess and I am sticking to it.....

Angel

Pretty close!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jojo
Old 03-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Banned

I just test drove one about an hour ago.

Nice car. Seems like it has good power. I thought the interior was a bit bare and the dash looked a bit cheap. The radio on the car I drove was even worse than the S2000 radio but this could be easily fixed. I could be very happy with the car as a daily driver. It also looks MUCH better than the WRX.

The salesman was a different story. Maybe I didn't make much sense to him. I drove up in my S. He could not figure out why I would want to keep my S if I bought the Evo. He was very reluctant to let me drive the car. I think he was afraid to ask his manager if I could drive it. They had the car marked up $3200.00 over sticker. He asked me if I was ready to buy the car if I really liked it. I told him that I would buy it when they were willing to sell the car for less than the sticker price. He then told me that was never going to happen and that they were only going to make 4500 of them. After I stopped laughing, I told him that I probably knew more about the car than they did. Finally, he got the keys and we went for a drive. He let me drive it after he ran the piss out of it for a few minutes. I guess I won't be buying that car.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Mikko
I'd argue that the new STi might well be the fastest production A to B car ever built, in real world conditions.
Your joking right?

Quick Reply: Drove an EVO on Saturday....