Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

E46 M3 prices

Old 05-08-2003, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
[B]Most people don't know the tranny in the SMG option is IDENTICAL to the manual tranny.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:50 PM
pfb

I used to covet the SMG. But as my rev-matching downshifts have gotten better and better, I wonder if I wouldn't miss the challenge of a perfect, non computer controlled shift.

I've also heard the SMG system can feel a little difficult to shift smoothly. Perhaps it's something you need to adapt to.

The best system to date looks to be the new Audi system with split shafts; really the first computer controlled manual to be designed from the ground up for the task.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:51 PM

I just don't think SMG/DSG (VAG's system) give you the same driving involvment that a 'traditional' manual transmission provides. Heel-and-toeing a shift is one of those things that really involves you in the driving experience, plus it takes away from the art of driving when a computer does it for you. I really despise ESP systems too, especially those that can't be defeated. I couldn't see myself driving a sports car without being able to shift myself.
I understand where you are coming from, but I have to disagree. I have had my M3 for a couple days now and I can tell you that the SMG is absolutely terrific. As for my driving background, I have frequently taken my MRoadster to the track for events and love the entire driving experience.

With SMG you still have the entire feeling of driving a manual transmission, because it is a manual. When the car shifts, you still have to lift off the throttle, just like in a manual.

Also, you can still utilize the heel-toe method. When decelerating with SMG, the transmission does not engage the lower gear until the throttle is depressed slightly. Therefore, under track conditions, and some driving situations, it is necessary to blip the throttle while braking with the SMG.

The best part of SMG is that it executes a perfect shift, every time. I consider my driving skill to be "better than average", but I could never claim that I always make a perfect shift.

I would suggest taking a test drive to find out more about SMG, but you really need to spend a lot of time with the car to get familiar with how everything works. The first day for me was strange because I wasn't sure if I was really going to like it. But now I know, this was definitely the best option on the car.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by ssfiit
My friend's father just got a M3 with SMG.
He's 67 and speeding like a villian.

After $10K down, he's still paying $1000 a month for 6 years.

I was like dddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn!
bad credit perhaps...
Old 05-09-2003, 09:33 AM

I looked at the M3 SMG. I was going to trade my S4 automatic for the SMG. After driving it, I was not impressed. I felt even more disconnected from my driving experience than with my tiptronic. I thought how can this be. On further thought, you can't launch the car, as it pulls out just like an automatic, and you can't downshift properly. It was no better than my tip, and I just want a manual. I thought about the M3 manual, but the car just costs too much for what you get...

IMHO, ALWAYS Buy what makes you happy, just drive them all before you purchase.