Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Em1 civic si or bb6 prelude

Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
Yeah mine burnt oil like crazy. Quite common for the H22. I sold mine with 180k miles and it drove great. Never did anything except regular maintenance.
It's a very unique looking car and one of the best handling FWD ever made. I would buy another in a heart beat
Agreed.

I also owned a '98 SH before buying my S2000. With the addition of the active torque transfer system (ATTS) that was exclusive to the SH model, it went around corners at full throttle with marginal understeer, which is amazing for a FWD. Definitely a fun car to drive, even if you buy a base model. The wedge design of the car looks classic, and without a doubt, I would love to own one again.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both. They are both wonderful cars. With that being said the EM1 does let you know that it is lacking in torque after mashing on the go pedal. I think it will be pretty hard to find an unmolested one too. Most that I see for sale are salvaged for some reason or are modded to crap. My 97 SH was amazing. I had it lowered on TEIN Flex Coilovers, Suspension Technique sway bars, all the strut bars, good rubber on 17" wheels - FUN! It has quite a bit more torque and the bump in horsepower is nice. Looks are personal preference. Insurance should be around the same for either car. Both are good on gas if you keep your foot out of it. Both are pretty comfortable. You really can't go wrong with either. Drive both and decide or just flip a coin.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
I've had both. They are both wonderful cars. With that being said the EM1 does let you know that it is lacking in torque after mashing on the go pedal. I think it will be pretty hard to find an unmolested one too. Most that I see for sale are salvaged for some reason or are modded to crap. My 97 SH was amazing. I had it lowered on TEIN Flex Coilovers, Suspension Technique sway bars, all the strut bars, good rubber on 17" wheels - FUN! It has quite a bit more torque and the bump in horsepower is nice. Looks are personal preference. Insurance should be around the same for either car. Both are good on gas if you keep your foot out of it. Both are pretty comfortable. You really can't go wrong with either. Drive both and decide or just flip a coin.

Thanks for the info. I'll ask my brothers friend if he can let me drive his 98 sh. I just need to see someone who can let me drive their em1
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Teggy>EM1>Lude
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM

I vote em1. Doesn’t it get better gas mileage too?
Good luck finding a clean one. Most of them are modded and salvage.
I have one with 160k on it and its never gave me major problems except it burns a lot of oil. haha
I bought it with 100k on it and didn’t catch that.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious why some like the EM1 over the prelude? Too me, they are quite similar except the prelude does everything a little better. It's faster, handles better, and looks way better IMO.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 AM

driven both an prelude hands down, more torque/power, car feels more solid.

em1 is a sick car but that b16 doesnt feel like ur going anywhere.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by JHooby
Teggy>EM1>Lude
I agree. Why not a teggy?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 AM

I'd say an EM1, but I'm biased (see username). I've owned mine for almost 8 years now.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 AM

Another vote for bb6.
My 98 SH has been bullet-proof (original owner) for the past 14+ years with 270K miles. I've only been doing the regular oil change and fix things as they break for the past 6~7 years or so far the car's been great. Another great thing about the lude is that it's very rare these days.

Quick Reply: Em1 civic si or bb6 prelude