Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Engine braking = bad?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Feb 24 2007, 09:17 PM
i heard it straight from the mouth of several professional engine builders.

engine braking is bad.
Jeeze, if its so bad, I guess every time we step off the gas we are damaging our engines? We should just accelerate everywhere we go no matter what?

I like to think of it this way:

brake pads are much easier to replace than an engine, so I brake with the brakes.....
But the engine is running the whole time; do you shut off the engine when you brake?

Regarding this statement and engines feeding gas when engine braking:

We put gas in yet it slows the car rather than makes it go faster.
I thought this was discussed in another thread to the conclusion that modern cars (like the S2000) cut fuel supply when engine braking and the engine essentially pumps air until the rpms reach idle speed or the accelerator is pushed.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These people that say engine braking is bad, I wonder what they do when they have to let off the throttle to slow down for a stopsign or red light... put the car in neutral?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seriously people. Some of you make engine braking sound as if its so bad your going to granade the motor if you do it often. All this talk about "Brakes are cheaper than the Engine" is laughable. Its All about proper driver technique. Obviously if you dont know the proper technique then maybe one should take some driver race courses.

IT WILL NOT cause a problem. Hell our engines are fully fordged to begin with.

engine braking is a perfectly acceptable way of reducing the cars speed, especially in motorsports when using the brake would introduce a tendicy to oversteer.

Rev matching is important when you down shift to the a lower gear during engine braking. You shouldnt use the clutch to further assist in slowing the car, which is why you should bring the engine up to the proper speed before releasing the clutch upon deceleration.

I mean its really simple... acceleration to 6k engine brake down to 4k, blip throttle to 4k..downshift....engine brake to 3k...etc etc
Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 PM

I'm not saying engine braking is bad, i just use the brakes. I dont engine brake at every possible chance just to increase the life of my brakes like some people do.

If you're using the brakes to decelerate the car, they're doing a lot of the work, and you're slowing the car down, so the engine (since you're still likely in gear) slows down faster and with greater ease, since the drivetrain is making it rev down because the car is being slowed by another force (the brakes)

OHH

btw, just happened to think

The final blow to my VR4 that killed the engine actually happened during engine braking.

I was coming home from college, driving down the mountain, and was engine braking. Everything was hunky doory for a while, and then suddenly I started hearing this noise, pulled over, and I was missing really bad

Turns out a piston had overheated, a chunk broke off, got stuck in a valve holding it open, which allowed the cam to turn and the rocker to pop loose.

This was after maybe 2 minutes of continuous engine braking.

So yes, you can damage an engine while engine braking. True story
Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 PM

This thread is almost as ridiculous as the skip shift thread!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

well thats a mitsubishi though. So that example doesnt count lol just giving you a hard time.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deathsled,Feb 24 2007, 07:11 PM
OHH

btw, just happened to think

The final blow to my VR4 that killed the engine actually happened during engine braking.

I was coming home from college, driving down the mountain, and was engine braking. Everything was hunky doory for a while, and then suddenly I started hearing this noise, pulled over, and I was missing really bad

Turns out a piston had overheated, a chunk broke off, got stuck in a valve holding it open, which allowed the cam to turn and the rocker to pop loose.

This was after maybe 2 minutes of continuous engine braking.

So yes, you can damage an engine while engine braking. True story
I know I asked the original question but I don't think engine braking caused your engine to do what it did. If you are engine braking, your throttle is almost closed, which means less air can go inside (and less fuel is injected if your oxygen sensors are working). I dont' know what the damage looks like but I think your piston rings must've worn out because something similar happened to my coworker's VR4

[QUOTE]Ring Land Pound Out

This can occur in high output, turbocharged and supercharged engines that operate under higher temperatures and loads than other engines. If the piston alloy can
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a lot more fun to "blip" downshift - my car is 6 years old and the brakes are almost new...
if there is a "cost" to engine braking, its the clutch. mine is still fine, and if i have to replace it, thats also fine-
for me, part of the fun of driving this great car is playing with the engine... and listening to the results coming outta the rear end (exhaust)-

so for me, if engine braking is more expensive that is o.k., cause without it i might as well be driving a vw bug !!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Feb 24 2007, 06:34 PM
Regarding this statement and engines feeding gas when engine braking:

I thought this was discussed in another thread to the conclusion that modern cars (like the S2000) cut fuel supply when engine braking and the engine essentially pumps air until the rpms reach idle speed or the accelerator is pushed.
I
Old 02-24-2007, 09:58 PM

oh yeah, when engine braking, if the throttle plate is closed usually the injectors are off, so you really are just pumping air. That's only in a fuel injected car though.

Quick Reply: Engine braking = bad?