Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Evora review

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by basscase
The problem is, it has that exclusivity factor largely because the equivalent used 997S or new Cayman S is just a better car in almost every way.

I still want one though. Just not as my only sports car, at the current prices.
By the same token, the equivalent new Corvette is just about a better car in almost every way than a used 997S or Cayman S.

I'm entertained/confused by people suggesting a Lotus is a poor value compared to a Porsche as if Porsche represents good value compared to the competition. Lotus arguably wins the "Most sports-car focused car maker" contest with Porsche, and any excusivity/uniqueness appeal because Lotus is so stingy with their cars. How long has it been since a Lotus 2+2? Lotus will always take knocks from the Consumer Reports crowd for being unpractical, not as comfortable as a Japanese Buick, and far too expensive if one is looking to get into a sporty V6 coupe with a low monthly payment.

And we all know Lotus isn't just a badge, it's a product of a company ethos and design philosophy. When you buy a Lotus you are endorsing that culture. Yes, it does cost more to have a group of militant enthusiasts build you a car in their secret lair on a former military base in Suffolk, England. It's not a mass-produced machine designed for wide appeal and high sales numbers. Predictably, there are steps not taken or compromises not made that effectively limit the market to those fans who are willing to accept it's quirks/faults. Just as with Porsche, but to a greater degree I'd say.

I like the car, especially because of the rear seats. And if you consider what many spend on trucks or sedans they daily drive, the cost isn't really outrageous. Who buys a BMW 650 for the value ratio? I'll admit I purchased my current car based on "How much do I need to spend to get what I want?" It was a modest investment in my case, but my father drove an $80,000 BMW 7 series all over the state as his personal car he used for work and thought nothing of it.

And happily, you almost never see beat-up Lotus cars on the second-hand market - they all seem to be well-maintained and driven.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
And we all know Lotus isn't just a badge, it's a product of a company ethos and design philosophy. When you buy a Lotus you are endorsing that culture. Yes, it does cost more to have a group of militant enthusiasts build you a car in their secret lair on a former military base in Suffolk, England. It's not a mass-produced machine designed for wide appeal and high sales numbers. Predictably, there are steps not taken or compromises not made that effectively limit the market to those fans who are willing to accept it's quirks/faults. Just as with Porsche, but to a greater degree I'd say.
Good comments.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1331063672' post='21482784
Good comments.
It has come to our attention that some people have been dipping into the Kool-Aid in the marketing department lunch room.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1396195340' post='23088136
[quote name='NuncoStr8' timestamp='1331063672' post='21482784']
Good comments.
It has come to our attention that some people have been dipping into the Kool-Aid in the marketing department lunch room.
[/quote]

No - he's spot on. All the quirks associated with Lotus were once shared by the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. They were flawed, low volume, niche market cars that were "outshined" in many ways by what was available at the time. They've since moved on and (such as Lamborghini) are now owned by corporate giants and pumping out 10x the volume they once did.

Lotus isn't for everyone. I like that.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1396198542' post='23088194

No - he's spot on. All the quirks associated with Lotus were once shared by the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. They were flawed, low volume, niche market cars that were "outshined" in many ways by what was available at the time. They've since moved on and (such as Lamborghini) are now owned by corporate giants and pumping out 10x the volume they once did.

Lotus isn't for everyone. I like that.
Would totally with agree that too. Perhaps Lotus is not his cup to tea and that's OK. Buying a Lotus is buying more than just a car. That, I think can be said about buying any British marque.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry but that doesn't seem right. Something is probably wrong with the car.
None of my motorcycles do what you are refering to. I can put them in any gear from stand still.
01 GSXR 600
12 GSXR 750
06 R6

Its like why even have a first gear if you cant get it in.
Sounds like some syncros are mashed up to be honest.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM

It is not unusual for a bike to occasionally have to be rolled forward a little bit to get into first from a stop. All mine have done this.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ yeah I experienced the same thing with my 07 gixxer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Even my BMW motorcycle with its decidedly agricultural transmission has no problem shifting into first at a stop, regardless of what gear it is in when I get there.

Old cars that did not have a fully synchronized transmission couldn't (easily) be shifted into first unless the car was completely stopped! I would say the Evora you drove had some serious transmission issues.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Why would you spend $75 on that car when you can get a lot more car, better build too in a vette?

The first gear issue is a joke. It's called a blown synchro.

Quick Reply: Evora review