Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

F1: BAR Honda could be disqualified!

Old 05-04-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more background

BAR Honda face possible exclusion
'Secret fuel tank' key for the ICA

Photo F1-Live.com
ICA will determine whether the 007 was legal
BAR Honda team face a possible ban for cheating when they appeared before motor racing's International Court of Appeal on Wednesday. The team have been ordered to prove they did nothing illegal when the Briton claimed third place in last month's San Marino Grand Prix.

The FIA has appealed against a decision by the Imola track scrutineers who found Button's BAR conformed to the legal minimum weight limit. If it can be proved they cheated in using fuel as illegal ballast, they could be thrown out of the world championship. When the car was weighed immediately after the race it was found to be above the weight limit but it was below the limit when the fuel tank was drained.

FIA scrutineers at the track accepted BAR's explanation but the FIA, suspecting the car was loaded with petrol as ballast, has put the case before the FIA International Court of Appeal in Paris. The FIA has come down on cheating in the past. 1995 defending champions Toyota were thrown out of the World Rally Championship for using an illegal turbo-charger.

"If somebody is caught cheating, they will be out of the championship," said Max Mosley, the FIA President, before the start of the season. "And it doesn't matter who it is - whether it's Ferrari, Minardi or anybody in between. It has to be like that."

There has been speculation that the FIA was tipped off about BAR's so-called 'secret fuel tank' by former employees who are now working for a rival team. But if BAR were banned that would leave only 18 cars on the starting grid for the remainder of the 2005 season and possibly mean top teams having to field a third car to make up the numbers agreed between the race organisers and Formula One Management.

The verdict will be published on Thursday.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm... When BMW ran too-large brake ducts at Canada last year, why wasn't that considered "cheating"? Did the FIA simply classify it as an honest mistake, thereby warranting exclusion only from that one race and not the entire chamionship?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Elistan,May 4 2005, 10:58 AM]Hmm...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:27 AM

Little help here. I can't see where using fuel as ballast would be an advantage unless you ran underweight at some point in the race. Am I missing something?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr,May 4 2005, 12:27 PM
Little help here. I can't see where using fuel as ballast would be an advantage unless you ran underweight at some point in the race. Am I missing something?
Nope, you are not missing anything. You hit it right on the head. BAR is accused of running below minimum weight during the race. The accusation says that they did this buy using extra fuel as ballast and letting it burn off during the race.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by NJTom2000,May 4 2005, 12:34 PM
Nope, you are not missing anything. You hit it right on the head. BAR is accused of running below minimum weight during the race. The accusation says that they did this buy using extra fuel as ballast and letting it burn off during the race.
thats just stupid... cuase they knew their car would be weighed in at the end of the race.....

this is all very interesting stuff.... i guess we'll all find out soon..
Old 05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,May 4 2005, 01:12 PM
thats just stupid... cuase they knew their car would be weighed in at the end of the race.....

this is all very interesting stuff.... i guess we'll all find out soon..
Not at all. Obviously they know the car will be weighed at the end of the race. So they simply craft their pit strategy so that their last pit stop is late enough to guarantee enough fuel left in the tank to meet weight requirements afterwards. Towards the end of their previous stint(s) though, they would be underweight b/c the tanks are almost empty. For that matter, the car would have a weight advantage during the whole race, since they would have a lower max weight too...useful weight (fuel) instead of hunks of lead/tungsten being carried in addition to fuel.

Depending on how the rule is actually written, this "hidden fuel tank" thing (if present) would be either a very savvy move taking advantage of a loophole, or a very brazen attempt to sneak past a regulation.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM

^ i understand the weight advantage but what i'm saying is....

if they know the car will be weighed at the end of the race... and the fuel being drained... then it's a stupid movie....

as stated above. the extra fuel cell is full of fuel at start and then it burns off this fuel as the race goes on....in return giving you a weight advantage....

if this secret fuel cell is used to make the weight requirement at the begining of the race then fine.. but as the fuel is being burned you will lose weight and by the end of the race that weight will not be there.....
Old 05-04-2005, 12:11 PM

Bernie seems convinced that BAR is guilty. The hearing took place today. We'll find out the outcome Thursday.

Via F1-Live.com

Ecclestone claims BAR Honda have no excuse
'You have to assume they'll be found guilty'

Photo F1-Live.com
BAR's Nick Fry and his documents:
Enough to win this case?

Formula One Management President Bernie Ecclestone insisted that a fine is not enough if BAR Honda are found guilty of deliberately breaking the rules. The ruling will be announced on Thursday but Ecclestone for one would have little sympathy should the guilty verdict come in.

"If you can do that why doesn't a team at the beginning of the season give over a cheque and say if I'm caught cash the cheque," said Ecclestone. "There are a million things you could do. I suppose if they are not excluded from the championship you could say the constructor cannot score points in the championship and maybe the driver is excluded from the points he has now and all the other ones count."

Ecclestone offered little hope for a not guilty verdict for BAR, who continue to protest their innocence.

"With the information that's available, you have to assume they'll be found guilty," he claimed. "There's always a reason for these things - it's never a mistake. If they said they had a problem and they needed a particular part to overcome a particular problem, they would have gone to the FIA."
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM

my question is this:

If the FIA is the overall governing body, why do they have to do all this supreme court BS?? Can't they just make the call themselves?

Quick Reply: F1: BAR Honda could be disqualified!