Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

F1: BAR Honda could be disqualified!

Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am i missing something??? or were they proven innocent at first till there was an appeal.....
Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 PM

More news, maybe better sounding news?

BAR Honda deny cheating allegations
By Phil Huff - May 4 2005

BAR Honda have maintained that they have done nothing wrong following a tough day in court defending the actions of the team, with team boss Nick Fry happy at the days events.

Defending against the accusations of hiding fuel, Technical Director Geoffrey Willis explained that the team had not been asked to drain all the fuel from the car.

"The request we had to do was a lifted pump out," said Willis. "We have never been asked to do a full pump-put."

Engineers at the track were asked if the car was fully drained, and a team member said "yes". Following this, the second tank and remaining fuel was discovered.

"The car required fuel in the collector to work," Willis explained. "That is the position we use for our own weight calculations."

According to Willis, BAR need at least 6kg of fuel in the car to make it operate - with less than 5.29kg the car start malfunctioning.

Willis flatly rejected the accusation of cheating, stating "There is a common culture through the team of integrity and fairness, and I have no doubt that there is no-one in the team who does not have the same integrity of keeping with the rules."

BAR Honda CEO Nick Fry was happy with the days proceedings, admitting he was "very, very proud of what all the team members did. I think they presented themselves absolutely superbly and with huge professionalism and integrity.

"It was never challenged that the car was below the minimum weight limit - that wasn't even raised and I think that is a good point to start with that we were above the 600kg - which of course we have always maintained.

"Even more important than that is the point about deception. I think it was conclusively proved by ourselves that there was no case of deception of bad faith and on top of that it appeared to be accepted by at least one of the FIA officials that that appeared to be the case.

"Overall I think we presented a very strong case and I hope overnight the judges consider that carefully."

The Court will announce their decision tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:46 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Excuse me for not caring about BAR. Have they ever won a race yet? (no)

They're good for filling up the grid. F1 needs mid-level teams. To think Bernie would kick out a big spender like Honda is mind boggling. IMO they have suffered enough from bad PR and wasting a lot of money for no gain at all. IMO Honda is only hurt by F1 cars that don't win at all and engines that blow up every 5 minutes.

and it's not like if it was Renault a team that has just 2 wins in the past 5+ years. If they were found cheating it's aweful, but BAR is like red bull (no harm no foul) IMO.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:27 PM

see this is why F1 is boring as f*ck
Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM

^ F1 boring?? LOL... i hope you're not a nascar fan or a drag racing fan...
Old 05-04-2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by protokultur,May 5 2005, 04:27 AM
see this is why F1 is boring as f*ck
I agree, hack off the big wings and knock the power levels down about half of what they are. Make the braking distances longer with the reduced downforce, allow for more passing, less drafting because of the cleaner air. would be more fun to watch in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 PM

Just saw this on Formula1.com. Looks like the exclusion talk is true. Hopefully not though.

FIA request BAR exclusion from Formula1.com

FIA request BAR exclusion
The FIA have asked for BAR to be thrown out of the 2005 Formula One World Championship after accusing the team of cheating at the recent San Marino Grand Prix.

At a hearing in Paris on Wednesday, the FIA claimed that BAR had deliberately set out to gain an
Old 05-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Banned

600kg minimum weight?

That's unbelievable.

I think Honda's guilty because it sounds like they knew what they were doing. But what about all the other cars? I'm sure someone's doing that too.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:46 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BAR team banned for two races

The BAR Formula 1 team has been banned for the next two races after they broke FIA regulations the FIA announced in a statement today, Thursday. The team will miss the Spanish Grand Prix this weekend and the Grand Prix of Monaco in two weeks time. The team also lost their points scored in the San Marino Grand Prix.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=85076

Old 05-05-2005, 04:48 AM

The teams know that cheating will be met with very stiff penalties, as we are now seeing.
Teams have the opportunity to submit ideas to the technical stewards to have them checked for legality with the rules. Like we saw 2-3 years ago with McLarens regenerative braking system, which was at first approved and then once other teams saw the advantage taken away.
The FIA needs to come down hard on cheating. No matter who the team is. I would hate to see BAR excluded and I expect they will not, too much at stake for to many people. If they are excluded I would look for honda to either supply another team...RBR perhaps...or to quit the series.

Quick Reply: F1: BAR Honda could be disqualified!