Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The First Top Gear USA Trailer

Old 08-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off-topic, but does anyone else watch "chasing classic cars"?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they need more plaid.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 PM

there was all of zero energy in that editing, i felt kinda awkward really. and 200kgg, its safe to say that pretty much everyone here disagrees with you including me and i watched motorvision back in the day too, but it was purely to fill the void between top gears. id rate motorvision slightly above supercars exposed to be honest.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tanner is good. He was good on his last car show and he's the only bright spot on supercar challenge. I'm soooooo very glad Adam Carolla did not make it to the show. He just irritates me to no end.

Leno would have wanted to take over and everyone else would have been just bit players.

This mix................ well who knows. It takes a while for the personalities to jell. I'm also wishing they'd have just called it something else. Giving it the name Top Gear gives it too much to live up to. Top Gear wasn't very good in the beginning but now that it is this show won't have much time to come up to their standards or be taken off the air.

I'm not sure it's ready for prime time over here or ever will be, but if we watch it as another car show (and yes it does look more like a car Jackass) then we just might be entertained.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch

mentioned above, CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE OR WE WILL EXPECT IT TO BE ON PAR
Old 08-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Aug 7 2010, 07:15 PM
Leno would have wanted to take over and everyone else would have been just bit players.
I love Clarkson to death, but he's the same way...
Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Leno is not right for the show, neither is Carolla. Mike Rowe is the type of personality an American TG needs. Pair him with a tech car guy and any third would do.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

How awful. Clarkson, for better or worse, is one of a kind. His series, well the co-hosts are great, and as a package, with the Stig, it truly is a one of a kind thing that cannot be duplicated. Their camera work is great, the shows are cut excellently, produced quite well, and the 458 piece had some of their best cinematography yet. Class show and it just can't be duplicated. They should just air the Clarkson shows on one of the big networks and be done with it. I won't watch one episode of this US version.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UmarS2K,Aug 7 2010, 03:29 PM
It kind of looked like a trio of high schoolers who were very nervous with the camera pointed at them. These guys can't seem to keep their poise straight and not move around as though they know thousands of people will be watching this show one day.
Not sure what you're talking about. They looked composed to me.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:15 PM

dude. I agree there was no energy and it looked like it was a home video...camera work was really, really weak when compared to the original TG.
Realistically it has ZERO chance of being anywhere near as good as TG so I agree with those who have said it just needs another name.

To me, TG is:
-3 clowns and a dude in a racing suit
-world class cinematography
-as much about the personalities and opinions and likes/dislikes of the hosts as it is about the cars
-usually outrageous and meaningless

This show seems to have the meaningless part down...the rest is going to need some development.

I do like tanner in supercar challenge; but he doesn't have a big enough personality to carry a show.

Why the insistence on having a pro driver?

I agree if you put Rowe, Carolla, and someone like Bruce Campbell in there is would be amazing.

Quick Reply: The First Top Gear USA Trailer