Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford, I'm very disappointed...

Old 12-10-2002, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excluding the five or so GT 40 Mk III road cars, All the GT 40 were full out race cars and never turned
a wheel outside a racetrack.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never met a Ford I liked - except for the original GT40s. I think those are some of the most gorgeous cars ever built.

And when I heard about the new GT (it's a shame that couldn't use the original name) I was really excited. As I hear more details about the car, I continue to get even more excited. My interpretation of what I've read and pictures I've seen makes me believe it's being built with a deliberate eye towards racing performance, much like the Saleen S7 and even the 911 GT1. As an added bonus, Carroll Shelby is a senior technical advisor on the project. If it doesn't have spot-on handling, I'll be completely astounded. This car definitely has the show, and no doubt will back it up with more than enough go.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Regarding some of the specific points raised about it:
  • I don't understand the resistance to a supercharged engine. The power is there, the torque is there, it's in the right place, driving the right wheels, it should be plenty reliable - would putting an 8.0L engine in there really be better? Or just different? Or maybe worse because of additional weight?
  • What does it matter if it's built by Ford? Remember all the comments we got about the S2000? "But it's a Honduh!" Who cares? The car stands on its own.
  • For what you're getting, $120k is very reasonably priced IMO, especially considering it's very limited production.

A parting thought:
[I]"Like its namesake, the GT40 concept is not overwrought with advanced technologies," J Mays, Ford vice president of design, added. "While it represents the best of Ford design, engineering and expertise, it is a no-frills machine. You won't find voice-activated telematics here
Old 12-10-2002, 04:55 PM

I am not a big ford fan. However, the GT40 was and the new GT is one of the most beautiful cars ever conceived. Add to that a power to weight ratio no one can argue with 5lbs / hp (vs our 11lbs / hp) and you have a receipe for a monster. Heck, I bet if they get it to weigh 2500 Ford could even make a star handler for a change. Unfortunately for Ford they won't be able to use this car to trick me into buying a Taraus, and I won't be able to afford the GT itself. Ford should have done this along time ago. Now they are left playing catch up in the world of super sports, but with this kind of performance they should be quickly gaining on the competition.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElTianti
[B]Excluding the five or so GT 40 Mk III road cars, All the GT 40 were full out race cars and never turned
a wheel
Old 12-10-2002, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can guarantee this car won't be 2500lbs. Ford will be putting a bunch of niceaties into it to make it's rich owners happy. It will most like weigh around 2900-3000; which will stick make it a good bang for the buck super car. If you compare it to the
Gt2
Z8(haha)
the closest competitor will be the new viper, but even it will weigh a few hundred pounds more. It's a good looking car and even though it is S/C (i think they went with a S/C for price and weight. A 500 HP reliable big block would be expesive and/or heavy), it will still be awesome. I would have loved to have it get a 427 with a lopey ass cam, but that aint going to happen. Some dude in a suit would spill his latte on his silk pants....
Old 12-11-2002, 03:55 AM

I think the GT is a beautiful car... I also think it should be closer to the Viper price range though. I also think that this car will probably be able to be in the 700 hp range for less than $3K in which case there won't be much on the road that could stay within shouting distance. I have a 2003 Cobra which Ford claims is 390 hp at the crank. With a pulley, chip, exhaust and intake (all of them together are less than $2K) these cars dyno in the 460-470 RWHP range on average... often higher. I can't keep the thing hooked up with TC on. If you want more hp then you can spend $3,600 on the Kenne Bell blower and have mid 600's. Now the GT is a built 5.4 V8 as opposed to the Cobra's 4.6 V8 and I'm sure will have a more capable blower from the factory set at conservative boost levels. On the Cobra you can spend $100 (that's right one hundred bucks) on a pulley and pick up about 40-50 RWHP... there is no better bang for your buck.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 99GT
[B]

As far as I can tell, you are right.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by ElTianti
I predict that not only will new GT turn laps faster than any Ferrari (except maybe the Enzo) but will also be faster than
the Orginals.
You're probably right, but that might have more to do with imporved tire technology than anything else.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:41 PM

I don't understand the resistance to a supercharged engine. The power is there, the torque is there, it's in the right place, driving the right wheels, it should be plenty reliable - would putting an 8.0L engine in there really be better? Or just different? Or maybe worse because of additional weight?

i never said it needs a 500+ cubic inch engine; i said they should get 500hp without resorting to a supercharger. (i.e. a highly-tuned smaller-displacement V8)...

anyway, i can't argue with the what has been pointed out as per the reliability issues, weight savings, etc. i'm sold: the blower was a good idea after all

as for the enzo, i thought that car was butt-ugly, but after seeing it in the video posted in this forum (check it out!), that car is freakin' gorgeous! (esp. in the rear-3/4 shot at the very beginning )
Old 12-11-2002, 07:36 PM

I would rather put my 120k into the Ford rather than the NSX, look at what more you are getting. IMO the NSX it the most overpriced car for the performance it offers there is (for sports cars). Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car, just not 120k fast. I also agree a N/A engine with 500 HP would be better, not the mention the much better sound. But I could deal with the S/C.

Quick Reply: Ford, I'm very disappointed...