Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford Mustang GT350

Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
with all the money saved on the stang I can buy some gold chains to look more like vette owners
Nah, around here, if you want to look like a vette owner you need to age significantly. I don't even know if they let you buy them here unless you are 60.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

How far we've come when the most exciting affordable performance car news is coming from the big 3.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
How far we've come when the most exciting affordable performance car news is coming from the big 3.
Bean counters run Japan. They are happy to make limited edition 6 figure rides but the affordable sportscars have gone the way of the dodo.
Evo has even been killed off. Subaru has run the same archaic engine in the STI for 15 straight model years, a truly incredible feat, and it will be 17 total before the wrx redesign in 2020. I'll be surprised if the STI actually sticks around. They used to be or used to have so many enthusiast 5 door cars, now they have none. Now Ford and VW make "the" AWD performance hatchbacks. Subaru doesn't even offer a 5 door WRX any longer.

Japanese auto mfr's have become incredibly stubborn. If Mitsu would have replaced their 5spd in the EVO with a 6spd manual, added sound dampening to the interior, and a few mod cons, it would have sold more. Stubbornness. Same with Honda and the S2000, just not motivated to bring a FMC. Same with Subaru and Toyota with the 86. That would be a phenomenal drivers car with some more power, As soon as it was released, the press core, potential customers, so damn many people it's unbelievable, said it needs more power. People were begging them for it. They don't listen too damn well, same motor exists in it today. Now Subaru sells 200 a month of the BRZ. That's so low it doesn't even make a single percentage point in their lineup of sold vehicles. The BRZ makes up less than 1% of their sales now. It sells pathetically, even with an automatic transmission option.

Yup, the big 3 are bringing it. They know how important is to have both cookie cutter vanilla toaster people movers & enthusiast vehicles. They understand the Mustang buyer, many of them, will stick with Ford for their people mover, the wife's vehicle, the daughter' s, etc. And that enthusiasts are the "car guys" in the office, in the family, or in the circle of friends or colleagues. I see Honda slowly starting to reverse their gears on this, and I have been reading Toyo articles concerning them doing the same. But it seems Subaru is headed straight to vanilla-ville. And Mitsu has fallen on their own swords. Nissan desperately needs something as well, even with something like 6 trims of the 370z, it ain't cutting it.
Meanwhile Ford and Chevy are all up in that ass. I know so many people who were Honda diehards, or Nissan, or Japanese auto enthusiasts. Now rolling a SS, Mustang GT, Camaro, all sorts of big 3 vehicles. The Japanese aren't stupid, they see the sales. They are just stubborn as all get out.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 AM

I hear you. I'm looking to buy another domestic and never thought that would be the case even as recently as 10 years ago. Back in the 90's would have never crossed my mind.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I know so many people who were Honda diehards, or Nissan, or Japanese auto enthusiasts. Now rolling a SS, Mustang GT, Camaro, all sorts of big 3 vehicles. The Japanese aren't stupid, they see the sales. They are just stubborn as all get out.
My first new car purchase when I got a decent job was a 2006 STI, which I then followed with a 2004 S2000 and owned both at the same time just in case my modded STI blew up on me. I now drive a 2015 Mustang GT. My 2005 self would NEVER have thought that would be the case, but times have changed. I'm not a brand loyalist when the brand refuses to evolve.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

It is interesting. Subaru, being a small auto maker, choose to chase sales volume by making its vehicles more mainstream, but pushed is AWD capability. Mazda, also a small auto maker, chased volume but kept is uniqueness as a sporty manufacturer. Nissan makes vanilla cars with sporty skins, and Honda and Toyota are now following suit. Meanwhile, the most exciting stuff now comes from America...
Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by secondreality
My first new car purchase when I got a decent job was a 2006 STI, which I then followed with a 2004 S2000 and owned both at the same time just in case my modded STI blew up on me. I now drive a 2015 Mustang GT. My 2005 self would NEVER have thought that would be the case, but times have changed. I'm not a brand loyalist when the brand refuses to evolve.
same. I can't wait for the 2018 Stangs. I'll def be buying one.
The following users liked this post:
Billj747 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I think my favorite brand over all is now Ford. Their lineup of fun cars is ridiculous now. Fiesta and focus st, focus rs, Taurus SHO, mustang, raptor, GT all ecoboost motors etc. the list just goes on. I never thought I'd be in any Ford 7-10 years ago.
Billj747 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I think my favorite brand over all is now Ford. Their lineup of fun cars is ridiculous now. Fiesta and focus st, focus rs, Taurus SHO, mustang, raptor, GT all ecoboost motors etc. the list just goes on. I never thought I'd be in any Ford 7-10 years ago.
Ive still never bought a domestic. The first one, ever, that interested me (affordable, everyone knows the last Ford GT was a rockstar, and boy has that mf'er appreciated in value) is the latest GT and I don't mean this new '18. The current one. A die hard GT fanatic in the office who has owned like 8 of them over the years, many gens, buys a new GT with PP, high trim audio, heated/cooled seats. He throws me the keys, I get in and see my first domestic dash and interior that I said "F this is pretty f'in nice. They finally made a pretty bad ass interior. People still whine about it but I like it. They are gonna get me in the end. I'm already tracking GT350 prices so I'm anxious to watch this new 18 and see how it is priced in comparison to the 350.
Billj747 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
they came out of the recession strong. Clearly focused on rebuilding their sales in a take no prisoners mentallity. I had a lot of respect with how that family has run the business.

my second to ford is FCA. Specifically dodge. I love that they buck the trends. Sad to see the viper die.

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang GT350