Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GM marching back...

Old 03-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Mar 1 2007, 05:47 PM
these numbers (I presume are year over year) one month sales figures do not mean anything per-se. Ford could have had a record month last year and GM had a poor month last Feb and thus easy to top this year.

But overall I think GM is the best domestic by far. The new mid-large SUVs look good.

For GM, this isn't a sprint - it's a marathon. They've got a LONG way to go but it seems they finally have some significant strategies taking form.

I wouldn't worry too much about Toyota. 12% increases are big in this industry, but most of it is on account of the big 3 falling on their faces. As long as GM can make themselves somewhat exciting, they'll have a chance...because you know Toyota will stay boring.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Mar 1 2007, 06:30 PM

For GM, this isn't a sprint - it's a marathon. They've got a LONG way to go but it seems they finally have some significant strategies taking form.

I wouldn't worry too much about Toyota. 12% increases are big in this industry, but most of it is on account of the big 3 falling on their faces. As long as GM can make themselves somewhat exciting, they'll have a chance...because you know Toyota will stay boring.
Toyota reached 10% of the world car sales target years ahead of schedule and is widely predicted to become the world's #1 carmaker this year. I would say that is something that other car companies ignore at their peril. Boring or not.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Mar 1 2007, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Toyota. because you know Toyota will stay boring.
I wouldn't go as far as saying not to worry about Toyota because all its competitors should. But it looks like GM is rejuvenating a little bit.

Can't wait until the Supra and Lexus supercar come out (and whatever else sporty cars it has plans for in the near future).
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marthafokker,Mar 1 2007, 06:17 PM
They are already claiming 5 minute recharge (with high voltage recharge systems) and above 10,000 recharge cycles. Plus more than 10 years of life cycle.
I'll believe it when I see it. How much does it cost? If it costs as much as 5 years worth of gas whats the point again?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good for them. Hopefully the other two can also turn it around.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by marthafokker,Mar 1 2007, 06:21 PM
And I agree, no one should be getting tax credit to buy anything.

Including the $100k tax deductables for businesses buying trucks/cars over 6000lbs. Did you know how much tax money is wasted here compare to the hybrid tax credit? You should be more piss off about that.
I agree. I especially don't think the car companies should be getting big tax breaks from the state when they move in a new plant. Georgia let GM and Ford shutter two plants but was willing to offset the cost of a new plant for a different make. Why should the people of Georgia help subsidize a car company? Sorry, at the moment I think it was Kia but I honestly don't remember.

Of course it could be worse... we could talk about how much Nashville spent to get the Oilers in town
Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 PM

I doubt Ford and Chrysler will die out anytime soon. GM definitely has some good things going on, so I would expect them to recover well enough in the next few years.

Toyota may be boring, but guess what percentage of buyers actually care if their car is "exciting." What percentage of new cars sold are automatic?

Toyota is also looking to turn things around with the fun factor too. They focused on their base sellers long enough to take the lead, and now that they have money to throw around they are going to offer the enthusiasts some fun. It's smarter than leaning heavily on trucks...
Old 03-02-2007, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Mar 2 2007, 01:57 AM

Plugin hybrids are the biggest load of crap. GM doesn't even have a hybrid that can run on electric power only. Also Toyota the number one hybrid maker does not make plugin hybrids b/c the battery would have to be signicantly larger which is the most expensive part of a hybrid as it is so it'd cost so much more. Also the batterys used in hybrids are not the kind that you charge up 100% and run down to 0% b/c that would shorten their life signicantly. The Toyota hybrid only chrges to like 70% and discharges to like 30%.

Hybrid are a farce (IMO), and it's a con game. If it takes 9 years to re-coupe the savings you'd get from a hybrid why bother?

Another thing that steams me is giving out tax credit for hybrids. In other words take my money (tax) and give it to some other yahoo. There is no reason to subsidise other people buying a new car. An import car at that (90% of hybrids).
Hybrid technology is viable. Actually Toyota does have a plug in version of the Prius, just not in the american market. They deemed that it is not economically viable in the US because of the additional expense. And it's not because the battery would be bigger, or heavier, but because it would have to be a different, much more expensive material (li-ion vs. nickel metal hydride). But several aftermarket companies have already done conversions on some Priuses and gotten it to average over 100 mpg. Rumor has it that the upcoming Prius will have much better gas mileage than the current unit.

And it does not cost 9 years to re-coupe the savings, you get from a hybrid. If you get tax credits, and the savings in gas vs. say a 20 mpg car it's roughly $1000/year.

If it steams you about a tax credit for hybrids, it steams me that their is no gas guzzler tax for SUV's. That was just GM, Ford, & Chrysler's lobbying attempt to maintain SUV sales. Cars have gas guzzler taxes when they reach a certain (low) point in mpg, why not SUV's. Could it be that the Big 3's sweet spot is SUV's and they make the most money per unit on these cars. They uses more gasoline, they damge our roadways more with the weight of the vehicle, they spew more emissions, etc. If you credit a hybrid for putting less of a pollution footprint on the country, then shouldn't you go the other way and smack the people who use excess.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kumainu,Mar 1 2007, 07:08 PM

Looks like GM's future is the brightest ..........

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Mar 2 2007, 03:56 AM

Toyota is also looking to turn things around with the fun factor too.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:49 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Fanman,Mar 2 2007, 02:13 AM] Hybrid technology is viable.

Quick Reply: GM marching back...