Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

a good idea for a daily driver car...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a good idea for a daily driver car...

since the day i have gotten the S, i have been thinking about getting a little daily driver ....mostly because i don't like putting miles on it (it eats me from inside) ...but never got around it, i was short on money and now with my new job i have some extra cash to save up...i have put over 8000 miles on the car since i have got it (9 month ago). I don't commute much (probably 20 miles a day) but from next week i'll be going to two schools (i got a scholarship so the shcool is free) and work, i'll be travelling around 40 miles a day...

i was thinking maybe i should a get a little cheap EG, EK, BMW E30, something with a decent MPG, cheap, reliable, four seats and something with a good resale value down the line if i end up selling it...but at the same time my dad tells me you should spend the money modding the car (wheels, coils and etc, no engine mods because i still have a HondaCare for couple of years to come)...or should i just save the money!?
it would be cool to get a DD, not just to save on gas and everything...it'll make me miss the S more coz i won't get to drive it everyday and when i do drive it it'll be ...

so i figure some of you fellow S owners feel my pain here...
what would you do?? thanks for any help
Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 PM

i am kinda in the same camp and cant decide if i should be looking for a mpg master or a truck that is capable of towing the S...
Old 09-11-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy a miata. You get most of the fun of the S2000 (except the power) but it's cheap to buy, insure and gets decent MPG. I never understood why people bought FWD econoboxes to daily drive if they didn't need more room. Life is too short to have a boring daily driver, that's why I DD a S2000.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had a DD for 3 of the 4 years I have owned my S2000. My current DD is a 2005 Civic DX, with ZERO options on it. It may sound like a lame car to drive, but if you would have seen the DD I had prior to the Civic, you would probably see the Civic as a MAJOR upgrade as I do.

The Civic is not as much fun to drive, obviously, but has been a great car for my commute. I go about 40 miles round trip, 5-6 days a week, and the previous owner upgraded the stock speakers to Pioneer models - so the sound has always been enjoyable. I average about 33 mpg, and have been able to squeeze 41 mpg out of the car a couple times.

I wish I had something with more grunt under the hood to drive to work, but I have to say it's been far easier to maintain an autox car when that car stays in the garage the majority of the time. It's amazing how much more time you have to work on the car when it's not the only car in the garage. The Civic is affordable and reliable, and like I said, I was driving an absolute clunker before. I hate wasting commuting miles on the S2000 when it is a car that deserves to have the engine fully wound up in corner after corner....not navigating rush hour traffic to and from work. Its such a waste of miles for that car.

I am not saying that you need to get a Civic, but something in that class of car is a good idea. A few of my S2000 friends can't understand how I enjoy my Civic so much, but I am more fortunate and have been able to afford the extra car. Let's face it, most commuting is not that enjoyable...so why drive the car that was meant to put a smile on the driver's face in less than desirable conditons?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Trebek, I am going to have to go with the "what is the F430" on this one. But seriously, ill second the Miata rec. It is my only car and a ton of fun to drive around town. I got 29mpg on my last highway trip and usually 24/25 in town. It is a slow, but i think of it as a plus. You can romp on and barely break any traffic laws.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Sep 11 2009, 06:01 AM
Buy a miata. You get most of the fun of the S2000 (except the power) but it's cheap to buy, insure and gets decent MPG. I never understood why people bought FWD econoboxes to daily drive if they didn't need more room. Life is too short to have a boring daily driver, that's why I DD a S2000.
yeah, i thought about that too, but i don't see the point of having two roadsters...i think i should get a four seater...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:54 PM

EK hatch and hook it up!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM

DD the S2000 and save the cash. what's the point of a car if its not driven? until you're rich enough to have a stable of cars, keep w/ one car and enjoy it.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM

^good advice. having a dd will cost you more money than putting miles on the s2k
Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwy23,Sep 11 2009, 06:14 PM
DD the S2000 and save the cash. what's the point of a car if its not driven? until you're rich enough to have a stable of cars, keep w/ one car and enjoy it.
you shoulda said this to me 3 years ago.

Quick Reply: a good idea for a daily driver car...