Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Have you ever wanted your Civic to look more like a Toyota?

Old 04-19-2021, 05:47 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I never owned a Civic (of any gen) so I'll concede to JonBoy for the 8th gen. However I do recall there being a serious recall on that model's engine (cracked block or something?).

Vader, it's 9th gen where the CEO publicly apologizes.
9th Gen was built on a budget due to GFC and Honda severely underestimating the market requirements for the Civic. It was a well-built car but it lacked the styling, updates and features of the competition.

The 8th Gen had issues with potential cracks in the engine block (casting flaws), mainly for 2006 models but those had an eight-year, unlimited mileage replacement warranty so Honda stepped up to cover them properly (and I saw a few claims that they extended it to ten years but I didn't bother to confirm). The actual number of impacted vehicles is quite low. Also, "cracks" mean hairline cracks in the water jacket - it's not an actual split block or anything like that.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I never owned a Civic (of any gen) so I'll concede to JonBoy for the 8th gen. However I do recall there being a serious recall on that model's engine (cracked block or something?).

Vader, it's 9th gen where the CEO publicly apologizes.
My 9th gen ate up oil. I was lucky and got it addressed just in the nick of time.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny how so many lament the 10th generation Civic as polarizing, ugly.... yet it is the most successful Civic iteration in terms of sales by a stretch. Clearly the buying populous disagrees with the aforementioned sentiments. And the new Civic is bland and boring, go figure.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:44 PM

Received 1,201 Likes on 931 Posts

well to be fair, the old late 80's civics could not have looked more boring and utilitarian but look how much they are adored now :P I guess after so many being modded the appeal changed for a lot of people. Maybe in 20-30 years this new boring looking Civic will be all the rage!

Same goes for lot of cars that in their day were "meh" but now have growing groups of followers.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:02 PM

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,456 Posts

It might be close to being a midsize car soon, each generation looks bigger.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:35 PM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
I don't recall the 6th gen backlash (I was just getting into Hondas at the time)
People thought they were too big and wanted something more akin to the 5th gen's headlights. Welcome to the eyelids modification.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:18 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Funny how so many lament the 10th generation Civic as polarizing, ugly.... yet it is the most successful Civic iteration in terms of sales by a stretch. Clearly the buying populous disagrees with the aforementioned sentiments. And the new Civic is bland and boring, go figure.
it's not really funny, actually predictable. The most successful BMW 7 series of all time (by sales) is without question also the ugliest one.

A few years ago I dated a girl that had a 10th gen Civic and then got a Jeep Cherokee. I said, "you know that Civic was really ugly." She said, I know. Apparently a lot of people aren't terribly concerned with owning/driving ugly vehicles.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,456 Posts

I had one with the 1.5 l turbo motor, it was a nice car in most respects and had amazing fuel economy. I just didn't want to own it out of warranty as my engine created more oil the more I drove it , lol. For some odd reason Honda did not engineer their engine for cold weather and short distance city driving environments - what a bunch of idiots, where did their good engineers go ?
Old 04-22-2021, 11:03 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Retired
Old 04-22-2021, 11:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
I think most people on here or most any car group would say the increasingly gigantic grilles on BMWs are questionable at the least, but I remember reading that the people who actually buy the cars new approve of them, so, yeah, the vocal minority probably doesn't matter much. If it sells, it sells.

Quick Reply: Have you ever wanted your Civic to look more like a Toyota?