Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help! Insurance Issues..

Old 05-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Correct.. We never touched.

I filed a police report today. They told me theres nothing they can do because they werent called at the time of the incident.

I guess Im screwed. I want to call my insurance but I think if I just tell them the scenario they will be forced to file a claim and raise my premium.

Im just going to pay for the damage and let it go I guess..

Do you think its worth a call to her to try and get her to pay for some of this or what?

Thanks again,
Dustin
Old 05-07-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also just went down on my new 07 cbr 600rr
Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Laguna,May 7 2007, 07:06 PM
i also just went down on my new 07 cbr 600rr
Sorry to hear that, but is that information somehow helpful to the OP?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 PM

I'd call her and bluff and say that you'd like to save her the money and you the hassle since she was nice to get you a bandage and that you have a buddy that can fix it for cheap to get some money at least.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM

hey, i never really post, but i read about your situation. i know how much it sucks cuz something similar happened to me in my car. here's what i learned.

if you report it, the police won't do anything because there was no contact and they didn't see it happen. they wont even investigate even if you have their make/model and a good description of the driver, unless there was some contact, because they didn't see it happen. sometimes, even when the police says the other party is at fault, insurance says otherwise, depending on the situation.

my insurance company's (progressive) policy is if there's no contact, then it is considered an at fault accident/collision. i was driving my car, damp/wet road and someone pulled out of an intersection into my lane going at most 10mph when i was going 40mph while i was about 20 feet away and i had no room to slow down, panic braked, spun, and jumped a curb, but i completely avoided hitting them. at least that lady stopped to check if you were ok, the person that cut me off stopped, looked at me as i staggered out of the car, and drove off. that meant nothing to the police and insurance when i told them. neither did the fact that i had my headlights on, honked as i approached the intersection, was under speed limit cuz it was a little wet, etc. the only way thing that could help you in a situation like this is if you have a witness, or if there is contact in such a way that it was obviously their fault. however, thankfully she didn't hit you head-on when she was in your lane. unfortunately it doesn't seem like you have a witness.

you might want to give your insurance a call and ask them what their policy is on a situation like this. ask them what happens if an aggressive/bad driver forces you into an accident, but makes no contact. hopefully they're more lenient toward motorcycles. they're very much black & white about cars. remember, you aren't filing a claim, just asking about a situation cuz you're on a bike. my guess is that they will tell you the best they can do is investigate if you have a witness, otherwise it's just your word against her's.

personally i don't think she'll give you money if you ask, cuz she'd consider that as admitting she was responsible for the accident. legally it probably wouldn't considered as admittance to guilt. unfortunately the same is true with the band-aids, "she was just being nice..." get legal advice on your situation if you consider a lawsuit, cause right now there doesn't seem to be any proof and you will want it as concrete as possible.

i hate seeing people not being held accountable for causing accidents. i really am sorry this happened to you. i had to file a claim with insurance and let them handle it cuz it was too expensive. eventually i had to stop thinking about the other person being the cause of the accident. good luck. hopefully it's not as bad as it seems.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:10 PM

fix your bike and get out to a track day and learn how to control your bike. this situation was completly avoidable. you freaked out locked up the front wheel and went down. Wouldn't have happened if you knew more about how a bike will react when you do certain things. your pretty much screwed....
Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM

I totally understand how a bike acts in certain situations. I know how to control my bike what what inputs bring certain responses.

Its not like I didnt know NOT to grab the front brake.. I just panicked and grabbed it! Can you blame me? There was a yellow SUV coming straight at me! How do you know the situation was completely avoidable? Were you there? No. you werent.

I ordered all new stuff today.. Including a slipon exhaust. (Its my apology to my bike for her having to suffer..)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Lesson learned!

-Dustin
Old 05-08-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k,May 8 2007, 05:13 PM
I totally understand how a bike acts in certain situations. I know how to control my bike what what inputs bring certain responses.

Its not like I didnt know NOT to grab the front brake.. I just panicked and grabbed it! Can you blame me? There was a yellow SUV coming straight at me! How do you know the situation was completely avoidable? Were you there? No. you werent.

I ordered all new stuff today.. Including a slipon exhaust. (Its my apology to my bike for her having to suffer..)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Lesson learned!

-Dustin
Well then you obviously don't know how a bike will react. if you know your going to lock the front tire and go down if you slame the brake on you don't do it. I have been in plenty of situations where i have had to grab a shit load of brake because a car pulled out in front of me at high speeds. cars running stop signs and trying to make red lights. I have not had a problem because I don't panike because I have done many track days and schools which taught me how to handle those exact situations. Your making it sound like you have no control. thats not the case at all. So yes I can blame you for dropping your own bike. Not trying to rag on you dude just telling it how it is.....
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an at-fault accident. I think my ins. co. call is "faulty evasive manuever." She's cant' be a fault if there was no contact. Just suck it up and fix it yourself. Fairings and a case cover should run you more than $2K. Just be happy she didn't hit you, you could be telling a whole different story. I feel ya about grabbing a whole handful of front brake. I think we've all done it once.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 AM

Yeah I did suck it up. I didnt even bother calling her. I knew I wasnt going to get anywhere.

I ended up just re painting the engine cover. I bought a whole new fairing and brake pedal though. Along with that I got an Akrapovic Hex Carbon slip on...

Everything cost me about $1k.

Lesson learned I guess.

Btw - I have only about 4000 riding miles under my belt. Im really really comfortable on the bike. You are right BlueS2000 in the fact that yes I did drop my own bike. You have to understand, in those 4000miles Ive never been put in the situation that I was in on sunday.

Thanks again guys..
-Dustin

Quick Reply: Help! Insurance Issues..