Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Here's your latest S2000 Revival News

Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1355253214' post='22203779
[quote name='PureFunction' timestamp='1355253010' post='22203772']
wow the s2k has only been out of production for a few years and everyone has "lost faith" already.... lol...
This.
I have lost faith. Its not just because they stopped production of the NSX and the S2000. Its also them killing the integra, neutering the SI and never selling the Type R here. It is Acura getting uglier and uglier. Its a number of things. I will completely agree that there is not a single Honda product that appeals to me currently. I am even doubtful the NSX will truly grab my attention. In the 90's and maybe 2000 all of their cars had a bit of sport and fun to it. Now they have gotten big, bloated and boring.
[/quote]

I understand - however, that is the way the car world has gone - the market has changed entirely. So I wouldn't lose faith in Honda, they still make good cars.

The issue is that they are still a business, who has to focus on making money (making cars that sell to the majority) not on providing the cars a small niche in the market wants. If they did that, they would be out of business quickly. The bottom line is they have to make what sells, and unfortunately, those are more conservative in design and don't appeal nearly as much to sport compact enthusiasts.

For me, I am hooked to Hondas. I have had a lot of fun owning several and meeting a lot of other Honda-loving car people. Would I like them to offer a couple of more performance-oriented cars? Sure. But if they don't, I won't lose any sleep over it. I still have my S2000 (and always will), and my 2012 Si is perfect for my daily needs.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No physical evidence of new s2000 successor, no care. This doesnt tell me if its coming back or not. I agree with most people here in regards to Honda's current direction in their cars. It's nothing exciting and its also extremely ugly (acura). I am very doubtful that Honda will ever make anything as good as what they used to make but that doesn't mean they can't. However, I would welcome the return of non hybrid high performance vehicles with open arms if they do bring them back. All of us are very much aware that they can definitely make a product that appeals to car enthusiasts and s2000, type r, and nsx afficionados. they're just choosing not to. Only time will tell if they will or will not.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I live down the street from one of the largest Acura dealers in the North East. I should go by there and see what's up with the next NSX. Heck, might as well put down a deposit on one if they let me. I bet the first buyers will be able to flip their cars or sell their place in line. If not, it's only $500 or $1000 to put down...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Some of you guys need to keep up with the news a bit better..

The last possible NSX successor (HSV) was cancelled back when the entire world economy had gone to shit. Honda had basically had the car ready for production and pulled the plug. We probably would have seen Honda competing with the GT-R right now but they just decided it wasn't a good idea to put a huge amount of funds towards the production of a car when the rest of the business (and are car business) was struggling. The current President and CEO of Honda was the man in charge of developing the original NSX, the right people are in place. So if the economy doesn't collapse again any time soon and the world doesn't end, we will see the new NSX for sale.

I could be wrong but Honda never really made any indication that the HSV concept was going to built and sold as they have with the 2015 NSX, and they have recently made many statements about bringing a focus back to R&D. The executive board is full of sports car development team members, everything will be a-ok.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

I know this is heresey, but regardless of what they build for a replacement, I have no interest if it is going to be another four cylinder. I liked the car when I bought it but it only became fun for me when I slapped the supercharger on it. Its great that Honda can do high-revving high-strung fours and all, but that is what Civic's and any Integra/RSX type coupe is for.

If it is going to be another sports convertible, I want some torque. If it is light and fun with a six that puts out 300-350 hp with some decent torque, I am interested. If not, I will move on to another brand.

The four was cute and all back in the day, but since 2001 cars have gone crazy with horsepower and I am not going to drop 30k+ on a car that does not keep up with a Chrysler 200.

Take the six from the Accord, tune it for a little more power and drop it in a chasis that is 500 pounds lighter. Done.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Some of you guys need to keep up with the news a bit better..

The last possible NSX successor (HSV) was cancelled back when the entire world economy had gone to shit. Honda had basically had the car ready for production and pulled the plug. We probably would have seen Honda competing with the GT-R right now but they just decided it wasn't a good idea to put a huge amount of funds towards the production of a car when the rest of the business (and are car business) was struggling. The current President and CEO of Honda was the man in charge of developing the original NSX, the right people are in place. So if the economy doesn't collapse again any time soon and the world doesn't end, we will see the new NSX for sale.

I could be wrong but Honda never really made any indication that the HSV concept was going to built and sold as they have with the 2015 NSX, and they have recently made many statements about bringing a focus back to R&D. The executive board is full of sports car development team members, everything will be a-ok.
I think most of us have kept up with the news, and see that the new "NSX" has very little in common with the last NSX. AWD and hybrid?

Next please.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1355274437' post='22204599
That is so far from reliable info I don't even know what to say.

Some guy on an internet forum (you) says some other guy on another forum says two people he knows put deposits on a car that doesn't yet exist. Would you put any faith in that if it was regarding your paycheck? I don't need a reason to doubt you, I just have no reason NOT to question the integrity of anyone in the chain. I don't know the "track buddies" spoke of, nor the poster on the other forum, and no idea about you. How could ANY rational person NOT have reasonable doubts as to the veracity of the story?

I'm not calling you a liar. Have you ever played game "Telephone"? The longer the chain, the farther from the original story we get.
Why don't you go to the Acura dealer with your checkbook for a deposit and tell me I am wrong? I have much more faith in the posts on the Jaguar forum than I do here. Most of the members are in their 50's and are not interested in making crap up.
Why don't you just send me a check for a few thousand dollars as a "deposit." If a car called the NSX is ever released by Acura, I'll give the check back and you can apply it towards a purchase. If it never comes out, I'll just sit on your money indefinitely. Sound good?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Why don't you just send me a check for a few thousand dollars as a "deposit." If a car called the NSX is ever released by Acura, I'll give the check back and you can apply it towards a purchase. If it never comes out, I'll just sit on your money indefinitely. Sound good?
Now you are asking a member on this forum to send you money? Are you serious?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1355324486' post='22205388
[quote name='NuncoStr8' timestamp='1355274437' post='22204599']
That is so far from reliable info I don't even know what to say.

Some guy on an internet forum (you) says some other guy on another forum says two people he knows put deposits on a car that doesn't yet exist. Would you put any faith in that if it was regarding your paycheck? I don't need a reason to doubt you, I just have no reason NOT to question the integrity of anyone in the chain. I don't know the "track buddies" spoke of, nor the poster on the other forum, and no idea about you. How could ANY rational person NOT have reasonable doubts as to the veracity of the story?

I'm not calling you a liar. Have you ever played game "Telephone"? The longer the chain, the farther from the original story we get.
Why don't you go to the Acura dealer with your checkbook for a deposit and tell me I am wrong? I have much more faith in the posts on the Jaguar forum than I do here. Most of the members are in their 50's and are not interested in making crap up.
[/quote]

I find reports that somebody has put down a deposit well within the realm of possibility. Why? ANY dealer will take your money on a car that might come out and give you your money back if it doesn't. They have nothing to lose and only a car sale to gain. Now if the people who made the deposits actually believe they have guaranteed themselves something, that is another story. Local dealers here in your own Twin Cities area took deposits on Pontiac Solstices well before the were a reality. A "deposit" to the dealer provides you with a weak promise that you will be one of the first they put an order in for (and then ask you for a markup over sticker and sell it to someone else when you back out)and nothing more. Why would a dealer NOT take a deposit from someone who walks in and says "Here, take my money and allow me to maybe buy a car from you in the future?" What would you say, "NO?"

If I walk into a Toyota dealer and say "can I put down a couple grand deposit on the next Supra?" they will walk me right to the cashier.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it when you see it.

No R for over a decade now.

Still not a single coupe with more power than a 10+ year old prelude.

The NSX will likely be outgunned in every parameter but MPGs by the time it finally arrives.

The FRS/BRZ is what Honda performance could be, the CR-Z is what Honda has become... ohhh a little 7hp power boost now! It simply just makes me wanna vomit. Honda will likely continue to choose to not compete for the tuner crowd because they are so far lost they don't stand a chance.

Enjoy your S2K.

Quick Reply: Here's your latest S2000 Revival News