Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Announces New "Earth Dreams" Technology

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that bashing Honda has become de rigueur for Car Talk these days, and there will be a number of readers hoping for this objective to fail, if not already proclaiming it to be a useless goal. "Gimme 300+ horse powerz and teh RWD or go home!" I hope Honda succeeds with this, even if the result is more for the masses (and increased fuel economy/efficiency) than for the enthusiast. Who knows, maybe if they get their core mojo back (engineering achievement) with this wave, they'll be freed up to bring us something more fun in the future.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
I know that bashing Honda has become de rigueur for Car Talk these days, and there will be a number of readers hoping for this objective to fail, if not already proclaiming it to be a useless goal. "Gimme 300+ horse powerz and teh RWD or go home!" I hope Honda succeeds with this, even if the result is more for the masses (and increased fuel economy/efficiency) than for the enthusiast. Who knows, maybe if they get their core mojo back (engineering achievement) with this wave, they'll be freed up to bring us something more fun in the future.

I hope they do as well and suspect they will indeed succeed.

As always I hold out hope for them to return to their performance roots.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

It's funny - no one is recognizing Honda for the 7-spd DCT (one more gear than any other mainstream manufacturer like Toyota, Ford, Nissan, GM, or Hyundai is using), all-new hybrid powertrain that is touted as the most efficient IN THE WORLD, upcoming plug-in hybrid (only Toyota offers this right now) and all new SH-AWD system (which was arguably one of the best already). Instead, they're moaning that they're not making a Veloster (wow - "big" power in a cheaply engineered car - YAY!) or turbo system.

Funny thing - those turbo motors aren't getting great real-world economy AND (for instance) the Sonata 2.0T got WORSE fuel economy and WORSE acceleration than the V6s from the competition in a recent comparo. Tell me again why Honda should use turbos? The Ford Eco-Boost is in a similar situation - more complicated, more expensive and not really showing any worthwhile real-world gains for fuel economy OR acceleration compared to the competition with normally aspirated motors of larger displacement. Remember the Ford Explorer with the turbo four-cylinder Eco-Boost? LOL! Worst car review I've ever read.

Oh yeah - Honda also mentioned that the CR-Z will have a supercharged motor for the European market. 0-60 in 6.1s, which is pretty quick for a pocket rocket! We don't get it but that doesn't mean they're not making it...

With these technologies, Honda may well hit the 2016 CAFE requirements well ahead of everyone else. If you're looking for performance, go for the V6 with SH-AWD hybrid system. If you want cheap performance, move to the UK and get the CR-Z with the supercharger. If you want economy, just about everything will have it, whether or not you want it.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Very well put DB8. I hope so as well. However when I see no mention of lightweight vehicles, lots of talk about CVT transmissions, and lots of talk about CO2 reduction it leaves me quite disappointed and getting sleepy.

Fingers crossed but it sounds like Honda's going whole hog into hybrids
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Very well put DB8. I hope so as well. However when I see no mention of lightweight vehicles, lots of talk about CVT transmissions, and lots of talk about CO2 reduction it leaves me quite disappointed and getting sleepy.

I think thats because the announcement is about their next-gen engine technology. They did say it will make its way into the cars. Fuel efficiency is an absolute requirement and being the small company they are, they will meet that mandate first and then delve into the performance potential of the engine tech.

I doubt there will be too many light-weight halo cars. They'll probably have the NSX II, a sportier CR-Z, Civic Si/Type R and just maybe a KEI class roadster based on the EV-STER concept. Anything more than that would be a nice bonus though
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1322677182' post='21198197

I think thats because the announcement is about their next-gen engine technology. They did say it will make its way into the cars. Fuel efficiency is an absolute requirement and being the small company they are, they will meet that mandate first and then delve into the performance potential of the engine tech.

I doubt there will be too many light-weight halo cars. They'll probably have the NSX II, a sportier CR-Z, Civic Si/Type R and just maybe a KEI class roadster based on the EV-STER concept. Anything more than that would be a nice bonus though
Partially true. To meet fuel economy requirements though they will need new lightweight technology across the board. And usually you start that technology on upmarket high performance vehicles.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I also thought it was interesting, no mention of turbo, a system many manufacturers are turning to because it can be added to a base engine that is delivering economy, and can change that same engine into one that offers real performance
I'd like to see them try something different. Why go Turbo just because everyone does it? Let them try and fail if that is what is destined for them. I like the fact that they are moving forward showing some signs of life.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Partially true. To meet fuel economy requirements though they will need new lightweight technology across the board. And usually you start that technology on upmarket high performance vehicles.

I wonder though whether that is how it worked for Honda

What technology from the NSX filtered down to the rest of the car lineup? I know the Civic's got the digital dashboard perhaps as a result of it being on the S2000, but are there any other significant influences these 'halo cars' have had on Honda's line-up? Please educate me.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

During that time period fuel economy (and by association vehicle weight) did not have the emphasis on it that it now does and will in the near future so no I'd agree with you that the NSX's aluminum technology did not trickle down. However it's VTEC drivetrain certainly did.

Toyota has learned a lot from their development of the LFA and it's extensive use of carbon fiber. I have no doubt that will trickle down into more attainable cars of theirs.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
It's funny - no one is recognizing Honda for the 7-spd DCT (one more gear than any other mainstream manufacturer like Toyota, Ford, Nissan, GM, or Hyundai is using), all-new hybrid powertrain that is touted as the most efficient IN THE WORLD, upcoming plug-in hybrid (only Toyota offers this right now) and all new SH-AWD system (which was arguably one of the best already). Instead, they're moaning that they're not making a Veloster (wow - "big" power in a cheaply engineered car - YAY!) or turbo system.

Funny thing - those turbo motors aren't getting great real-world economy AND (for instance) the Sonata 2.0T got WORSE fuel economy and WORSE acceleration than the V6s from the competition in a recent comparo. Tell me again why Honda should use turbos? The Ford Eco-Boost is in a similar situation - more complicated, more expensive and not really showing any worthwhile real-world gains for fuel economy OR acceleration compared to the competition with normally aspirated motors of larger displacement. Remember the Ford Explorer with the turbo four-cylinder Eco-Boost? LOL! Worst car review I've ever read.

Oh yeah - Honda also mentioned that the CR-Z will have a supercharged motor for the European market. 0-60 in 6.1s, which is pretty quick for a pocket rocket! We don't get it but that doesn't mean they're not making it...

With these technologies, Honda may well hit the 2016 CAFE requirements well ahead of everyone else. If you're looking for performance, go for the V6 with SH-AWD hybrid system. If you want cheap performance, move to the UK and get the CR-Z with the supercharger. If you want economy, just about everything will have it, whether or not you want it.
I'm on board with you but Honda must be paying your bills. I thought the Nissan Leaf was also a 100% plugin hybrid. The 7 speed dct is already out in bmws and GM is also has been developing/planning a 7 speed dct that may be introduced on the cruze.

Quick Reply: Honda Announces New "Earth Dreams" Technology