Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Pilot?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@thyawi

Not to change the subject but how would AWD help your wife not run down those three stop signs. I drive a 2700lbs, no ABS RWD car during winter on winter tires and never had issues. The only time AWD is useful is in deep snow(more than a foot deep), accelerating from a stand still and turning. It has nothing to do with stopping, so if she was on the brakes AWD would have never done anything.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year pilot?
My family has a 06 Pilot, purchased bran new in March 2006 fresh off the dealership
currently has 164k kms (around 100k miles) and literally NO problems. And thats not even an exaggeration. The most reliable car we've owned. Im sure the newer ones are even better
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an 07 EX-L with NAV and AWD (bought it used a year ago). It has about 130K on it. No issues except for a constant CEL (secondary O2 sensor). We have 3 kids, all under 6. Car seats are tight, but fit okay. Gas mileage isn't great, but not bad for this size/class of vehicle. It's comfortable, handles well, great power, great traction (thank you, AWD). Storage space isn't great with a full load of people in the car (minivans win here), but is plenty for our needs. It's a bit dated looking inside and out, but for the price we got it for, I'm very satisfied and would buy it again.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan2949
@thyawi

Not to change the subject but how would AWD help your wife not run down those three stop signs. I drive a 2700lbs, no ABS RWD car during winter on winter tires and never had issues. The only time AWD is useful is in deep snow(more than a foot deep), accelerating from a stand still and turning. It has nothing to do with stopping, so if she was on the brakes AWD would have never done anything.
That is the brilliant Marketing brain wash done to Americans about 4wd SUV image.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got a brand new 2013 black pilot exl with navi.
The newer pilot had noisy cancellation built in.
So it's pretty nice on the road.
Pros.
Price
Room
Handle for such big car.

Cons.
Interior too much hard plastic
Cheap looking lamp,with no projectors.
Navigation sux.i found my free phone navi r way better.

In the end. Car ia indeed nice.
But it's a honda,they cheap out every penny if possible.
The leather trim comes cloth side on the side of the seats.

Maybe it's honda, so...
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 AM

A couple of months ago I was in the market for a pilot, I almost pulled the trigger on a 2010 ex-l. They drive great for what it is, it has tons of room (and storage), a spacious 3rd row (compaired to other 3rd row suv's), decent mpgs for what it is, and best of all honda reliability. Then I went over to Acura and drove a few MDX's, it does everything the Pilot did, but better, and also came with alot more standard features.

If you know that you will be utilizing the 3rd row then the MDX is out of the equation, because it's almost usless. Also something to note, when the 3rd row is up on the MDX you have very little room behind it, not big enough to carry anything big, I know the Pilot had more room.

MDX premium gas, Pilot regular
sh-awd > pilot awd
Pilot more cargo room
Pilot better 3rd row
Pilot comes standard with roof rails (and I think a hitch), MDX doesn't
for me, MDX insurance was cheaper than the Pilot
The Pilot's and MDX's that I was looking at were all similarily priced.

I ended up buying a CPO 09 mdx, in 6 months I put about 8k miles on it, and I'm averaging 17.5mpg (70%city)
Old 06-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, I commented on the Element thread.

Anyway, wife and I have been eyeing SUV's to see what her next one may be.

We looked inside a Pilot and that was enough for us. The interior looked cheap (and keep in mind she is driving a '97 CR-V, so not exactly lavish). It even had leather, but we just didn't like it. Plus, she prefers the drive of a truck based SUV.

We drove a couple 4Runners. Nice, but damned expensive on the used market.

On recommendation of a couple friends we, drove a '11 Nissan Pathfinder. We both really liked it. Nice interior (although the cloth seats look and feel cheap), truck like drive, good off-road (just shy of being on par with the 4Runner), and a value on the used market.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What year Pilot did you look at? Not sure if I agree about the cheap interior. And you really thought the Nissan felt of better quality?

There is a lot of plastic along the dash of the Pilot, but trust me, the quality is there... I have a 2 year old and two dogs that have tested it. The leather has held up extremely well over the last year.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22
What year Pilot did you look at? Not sure if I agree about the cheap interior. And you really thought the Nissan felt of better quality?

There is a lot of plastic along the dash of the Pilot, but trust me, the quality is there... I have a 2 year old and two dogs that have tested it. The leather has held up extremely well over the last year.
IIRC, it was a '12.

I didn't think the Nissan was better quality (trust me, I would much prefer her to get a Honda product). The interior just looked nicer.

There's more than that; she preferred the size of the Pathfinder (Pilot is a tad bigger) and she likes the drive of a body on frame SUV.

We drove a '11 MDX; I loved it and she hated it. It was to smooth and soft for her (I know, she isn't a typical female car buyer).
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotcha. She thought the MDX rode soft? Honestly, those things drive like sports cars.

Either way, we absolutely love our Pilot. We are sure there will be one in the family for MANY years to come. Whenever we have people visit us, everyone always compliments on how nice it is on the inside, and how great it drives. We have the cream leather interior (not sure on the exact color name), and it really feels luxurious.

Quick Reply: Honda Pilot?